Tamiya 1/32 P-51D "Petie 3rd", 352nd FG...

There have been so many superb models posted up here in the past week or so, that I'm running out of superlatives.

How about, exceptionally tasty. B)

Have always liked the Peties and funnily enough, I just watched the Bodenplatte episode of "Dogfights" the other day.

:goodjob:

Hi Nick, you already know what I think about your P-51D, but I'd just like to state publicly that it's the best I have personally ever seen! Stunning work mate and I hope that the earlier P-51s (which are now on their way) get the same treatment!

Again, many thanks for your kind comments.

I have written a very comprehensive build article for Military in Scale, I believe it will be in the April edition. It goes into every stage in detail, how I did the staining, weathering, painting etc so if there are any aspects of the model you would like to try then I would recommend following the mag. It's a great mag anyway and I would like it to see it continue going from strength to strength as there are some extremely talented modellers writing for it (not counting me in that btw), and it only costs a few quid and the way I've written the article, hopefully you'll be able to replicate the model almost exactly, and of course you will be free to create cleaner or dirtier models with whatever level of detail you wish, it doesn't need to be as dirty, or indeed a Mustang, it's been more of an excercise in natural metal finishes. If of course you don't want to buy the mag I understand and of course I'll pass any tips here.

I hope that is fair.

Regards

Nick

Edited by turnerdad

• 3 weeks later...

Nick, I saw this at MK on Sunday and it really is a stunning model. A richly deserved Gold in the 1/32 competition class as well, plus 'coolest in show' award if I remember rightly. :thumbsup2:

My Hornet actually took Silver behind yours in the same class which I was pretty chuffed with, as soon as I put mine down on the table and saw yours I knew that one would win easily! :lol:

Nick, I saw this at MK on Sunday and it really is a stunning model. A richly deserved Gold in the 1/32 competition class as well, plus 'coolest in show' award if I remember rightly. :thumbsup2:

My Hornet actually took Silver behind yours in the same class which I was pretty chuffed with, as soon as I put mine down on the table and saw yours I knew that one would win easily! :lol:

Thanks, I poured over your Hornet too, very nice. Sometimes it's impossible to tell how these competitions go, but it's just a bit of fun really and I do like meeting the creators of some of the really nice models, like the overall winner with his scratchbuilt WWI pusher bi-plane. As soon as I saw it I knew it would walk away with the best in show, and rightly so!

Congratulations on you silver, a big Hornet is one of those models I really hope I get to build before I go to the giant modelling show in the sky...