Tamiya 1/32 P-51D "Petie 3rd", 352nd FG...

(Just a quick update 6/2/12.

I've painted my first figure (with the exception of some 1/48 soldiers) it's the suerbly sculpted Ultracast figure that I ordered from the States and which was delivered very promptly, and I'm pleased with the way he came out, I certainly learned a lot doing it. I removed my first attempt at painting the face and re-did it as I'm pretty sure there weren't too many trannies in the Air Force back in '45! This project is now officially completed, wahey!)

Finally finished thanks goodness, by far the best kit I've ever built, Tamiya have really produced a stunner. This is pretty much out of the box, though I've added some plumbing and adapted and detailed some of the kit parts.

I've weathered it heavily, and while these 8th Air Force birds were generally kept pretty clean, I've depicted Lt Col John Meyers' "Petie 3rd" from the time it was operating from Asch airfield in Belgium during the Ardennes offensive. The conditions were makeshift at best, and the group was worked extremely hard providing support for the ground defences, sharing the base with a 9th Air Force P-47 group, the 366th. The weather was awful with sleet and snow and the airfield became a muddy, slushy mess. There are some great pics (one in particular, p 103)!) in the Osprey Aviation Elite Units book of the 352nd FG which is were I gained most of my reference for the weathering, but of course I've had to use artistic licence so if possible I don't really want a big debate on weathering etc...thanks.

I love this aircraft, it looks very busy with the various stripes and markings. This aircraft is known to have shot down at least 11.5 enemy aircraft while flown by Meyer but was virtually lost to history until some photos were discovered in the 80s from its crewchiefs private collection. There is some debate as to some of the markings but I've used my best judgement, there just isn't the information. Anyway, I am writing a lengthy article for MIS on its construction, so if per chance there is anything you would like to know then get the mag! winkgrin.gif

Build linky.

mustanggood0004DSC_0083.jpg

mustanggood0005DSC_0092.jpg

mustanggood0002DSC_0030.jpg

mustanggood0001DSC_0021.jpg

mustanggood0006DSC_0099.jpg

mustanggood0007DSC_0115.jpg

mustanggood0008DSC_0117.jpg

mustanggood0009DSC_0133.jpg

carbgood0001DSC_0216.jpg

Cheers all.

Edited by turnerdad
  • Like 1

Very very nice indeed...wonderful details..!!

Cheers,

ggc

:shutup: I promise I won't tell anyone that you shrunk the real thing and then posted it on here!

But really, that build is simply jaw dropping! The weathering is done perfectly and the detail is remarkable. Just......wow.