The Captain's Table...so here we go then........

I'm going to find it hard keeping up with everybody.....

so I'll make generic comments here....and if you get really lucky....I might even post pics of my builds :)

meantime - smart work everybody, I like what I see, this is going - or more accurately - it IS, a super gb

(and thats the most accuracy you are likely to get from me!!!)

meantime, check out the pinned topics, choose your callsigns if you havent already and stuff like that,

and I'll take some pics tonight of my three kits;

airfix 1/72

hasagawa early 1/72

hasagawa later 1/72

Edited by kev1n

so...here we go.....my 3 kits, all 1/72nd

I figure most people will be familiar with the sprues so I'm not going to picture them each....

the airfix kit....came in an unsealed bag in a very fragile box...hopefully all the parts are there....

I'll use the kit decals and do it in the VF1 wolfpack markings....

SeaKingandTomcatsJan2012007.jpg

SeaKingandTomcatsJan2012008.jpg

Hasagawa early...this is going to be the Black bunny...I fancy a dynamic looking all black cat :)#

SeaKingandTomcatsJan2012009.jpg

SeaKingandTomcatsJan2012010.jpg

SeaKingandTomcatsJan2012014.jpg

...and the later hasagawa kit;

this one is for VF84, The Jolly Rogers, to continue with my obsession about building at least one aircraft of each type featured in that movie :)

SeaKingandTomcatsJan2012012.jpg

SeaKingandTomcatsJan2012013.jpg

so....

will they all be done by April?

probably not......

I need to scratchbuild the cockpit details for the airfix kit, which does have the option of an open cockpit canopy so it will all be clearly visible

lotsa work here.....so no more hanging about on street corners mugging people for a while....and I need more cat kits so I can use up all those markings :)

That airfix box sure brings back memories ! I built it in 1983-84 using what for me was a huge novelty: aftermarket decals ! The decals from the box ended on two matchbox kits... ah the good old days ! I was a kid and had a life ahead of me. But no really good F-14 kit.... :lol:

Looking forward to see your builds captain !

well.....I dont think they will be quick....

the afx kit has some issues, most of which I reckon I can get away with, if it's anything really obvious, I'll try and fix it...

but scratchbuilding a reasobale looking cockpit will be the bit that takes the time...

the later Has kit will be the most complex kit I think I will have built....so it's not going to be rushed....

not sure where the early has kit fits in there......

so I'm watching Question Time on BBC1 last night and at about 11.10pm everything went very dark very suddenly....checked my fuses....it's not me.....checked the street, no lights....it's defo not me....

A couple of hours later, after midnight so it's not yesterday now, it's today, the lights came back on....

Then went out again. This time, it's an even BIGGER power failure.

And there is still no electricity now....I'm in my local libary doing this....

Apparently they are working on it, will carry on working on it for the rest of the day, possibly into tonight and tomorrow.

Doing things by candlelight is weird.....and very dim.....So no modelling atm....

Going back to the BIGGER power failure, the one after midnight, I had a thought...

Whats the day and date today?

ok so now it's tomorrow......got power and lights back late last night....

I can't make up my mind whether sitting in a dark room with candlelights is eerie or cosy....

anyway - after I'm done on here today, I am going to retire in my modelworld fantasyzone, not go near anybody or anything and defo not a computer, until emerging on Monday sometime.

In between now and then - I shall be building models

:)

ok so now it's tomorrow......got power and lights back late last night....

I can't make up my mind whether sitting in a dark room with candlelights is eerie or cosy....

anyway - after I'm done on here today, I am going to retire in my modelworld fantasyzone, not go near anybody or anything and defo not a computer, until emerging on Monday sometime.

In between now and then - I shall be building models

:)

Can we count on that???? Lol

as I said ^

here's my first - the early mould Hasagawa, havent made my mind up yet which decal to use on this, but I'm a looooonnng way away from that anyway....

I'm going to leave the cockpit tubs until last on all three, although the airfix kit has a one piece fuselage, instead of the nose and cockpit being separate, as on the hasa kits; but you all knew that anyway...

on the basis that I can get the simple and easy bits out of the way first.....yeah right....

HasagawaearlyTomcat001.jpg

HasagawaearlyTomcat004.jpg

HasagawaearlyTomcat005.jpg

so, glued and taped....

HasagawaearlyTomcat007.jpg

HasagawaearlyTomcat006.jpg

the intake trunk isnt glued on yet btw.....just testing :)

this is going to be harder than I thought...

did I say simple and easy?

HA!

filling n sanding, filling n sanding, filling n sanding.........

and thats about it atm....:(

um...well....yeah.....I can see why (I think) Hasagawa re-tooled this...

there isnt anything on this kit I can't fix, but the phrases used elsewhere in the gb, like, "Challenging" and

"accompanied by a lot of ciursing and swearing" seem bery appropriate....

.....I'm almost dreading starting the new tool version.......

Loving the production line Cap'n!

This is my sort of building... I was thinking of doing two, but time will be against me when I start. I like the way you're doing different manufacturers and late and early Hase kits, be good to see the differences.

Rip-Cord

indeed :)

here's all three seat n tubs on the go;

tomcatseatsandconcordebox001.jpg

and the early has mouldings - I'm going to add a bit to the seats, as I have done with the airfix seats and tub, based on ther later hasagawa mouldings, which seem to be the most interesting of the three;

tomcatseatsandconcordebox005.jpg

doing these is tonight's job.....

• 2 months later...

this one also is going to one side for a bit _ I'm leaning towards just building it oob and not adding much, but I'm pretty sure it won't be done by the end of the gb so it will be done in between everything else.

right then - I'm leaning towards doing this one in the low-viz scheme, still more or less oob, but it will make a neat comparison to the airfix kit (whenever that gets finished, with all the mods I'm making) in it's early wolfpack colours, then the Jolly Rogers hasagawa kit in overall light grey as seen in the Final Coutdown, so this one in the darker grey will round off the trio....and with a bit of luck, I'll have it done by the end of the gb.....

I think the 'low-vis' schemes are the best! Menacing grey jets, you just never see 'em coming before it's too late! The only splashes of colour being the bone domes of the pilots.

Try a nice TPS of FS 35237 and FS 36375. Lovely!