Matchbox / Airfix and Revell Halifax Lovechildren

woody37

Real lifes been getting in the way recently (boo hoo !!). Some more done on the wings. One wing has been rescribed on the top and the Miliput fairing done. Not perfect, but quite happy with how it's turned out. I've also glued the interior together ready for painting. I want to put some Aeroclub radiators on, but not got any yet, so I'll have to come back to the wings to finish them off.

DSCF0394.jpg

DSCF0398.jpg

DSCF0403.jpg

DSCF0405.jpg

• Like 1

Those wings are looking nice Neil, have you decided which aircraft you are going to be replicating yet?

My Hercules engined model is going to be a Mk.VI Bomber version from 102 Sqn from the Xtradecal sheet coded DY-P (PP206). I`ve always had a soft spot for 4 Group, ever since I was stationed in North Yorkshire myself, such a lovely part of the world where you can still imagine the wartime Halibags flying around!

Cheers

Tony O

Tony, going to Elvington really captures the atmosphere you describe and has been my recent inspiration (as well as you Halifax lover guys !!) in building these beauties.

I've settled on the one that's now in Hendon. I need to check my collection of decals and get some more research, so I'll start a seperate thread for that.

Thanks

Looking good so far Neil. Those new fairings are a massive improvement over the standard ones.

The one in Hendon is TL-S W1048. I can't see any special markings. From the photos of the when she was recovered it looks like she has a straight demarcation line along the fuselage. That should get you started.

Regards,

Mark

Tony, going to Elvington really captures the atmosphere you describe and has been my recent inspiration (as well as you Halifax lover guys !!) in building these beauties.

I've settled on the one that's now in Hendon. I need to check my collection of decals and get some more research, so I'll start a seperate thread for that.

Thanks

A picture....

http://www.targeta.co.uk/pages/082_3465w5.htm

Real lifes been getting in the way recently (boo hoo !!). Some more done on the wings. One wing has been rescribed on the top and the Miliput fairing done. Not perfect, but quite happy with how it's turned out. I've also glued the interior together ready for painting. I want to put some Aeroclub radiators on, but not got any yet, so I'll have to come back to the wings to finish them off.

I'm really likeing the look of those wings! Nice job.

Cheers.

Looking good, I did read somewhere that some of the Halifax restoration parts was salvaged from H.P Hastings aircraft, I might be wrong on this though

Yes the Elvington one is also a "love child" in a fashion.

Cheers

Yes the Elvington one is also a "love child" in a fashion.

Cheers

There was a long thread on another forum about the Elvington Halifax.

Apparently it has wing parts from a Hastings - and the thread went into some depth about the differences in span and distance between the engine nacelles etc on a Hastings compared to a Halifax.

It was an interesting debate, I think on the AFM site, but unfortunately I can't find it now....

Ken

Thanks Chaddy.

Just got some Miliput on the next fairing. The shape was drawn on then masked before filling and given a preliminary shaping. It'll be fettled once dry

DSCF0420.jpg

Suffering from the works Xmas do last night, so this weekends efforts aren't going to be that great :sick:

I can't post on the "for sale board", but for anybody following this thread and needs a Matchbox Halifax, some one just turned in a used one in good condition to our store and it can be had for $10, plus postage from the US.

PM me if interested.

Graham.

lol, we always do it in Jan (formal site one), kinda makes sense as there's usually so much going on including the departmental one, it would be hard to fit it in December.

Looking good Neil,

Your model is really coming together now and does look `the biz'! I took your advice about the Hercules engines on my own rewinging job and the result can be seen here;

halibagupdate3.jpg

halibagupdate1.jpg

As I cannot afford the White Ensign sets I`ve used plastic rod to add some more detail to the engines and as Neil suggested I`ve added more plastic rod around the rim of each engine. The Aeroclub air intakes have been added to the top of each engine nacelle and an Aeroclub propeller has been dry fitted to one of the outboard engines just to show what it will look like. Another recent addition is a set of bars which were fitted underneath the glazing of the Air Engineers position plus a hole has also been drilled into the nose glazing with the rear part of a Vickers K gun from the spares box fitted into place for now, I`ll probably have to make the barrel myself.

All the best for now

Tony O

Kev67 wrote:

Looking good, I did read somewhere that some of the Halifax restoration parts was salvaged from H.P Hastings aircraft, I might be wrong on this though

To be precise the nose section is the original nose from Friday the 13th and came from IWM, the rear fuselage is a restored crash section from the Isle of Lewis where it was used as a shed, the tailplanes and fins are external replicas, the engines came from the French Air Force who donated them as left overs from Noratlas freighters, and the entire wing came from an Hastings with modified fuselage frames to fit the Halifax fuselage sections.

David.

To be precise the nose section is the original nose from Friday the 13th and came from IWM, the rear fuselage is a restored crash section from the Isle of Lewis where it was used as a shed, the tailplanes and fins are external replicas, the engines came from the French Air Force who donated them as left overs from Noratlas freighters, and the entire wing came from an Hastings with modified fuselage frames to fit the Halifax fuselage sections.

David.

The real Friday the 13th was scrapped and the nose at the IWM was from another aircraft, possibly an A.IX version? It is still there too as the IWM refused to let it go, so the YAM had to build the nose on their aircraft from scratch! The extreme rear fuselage which holds the tailplanes was also built from scratch and if you look closely at the engine exhausts they are made from Workmens hard hats and lengths of drainpipe! The prop blades are also copies, probably fibreglass and are set at the wrong pitch, in the opposite direction to what they should be, although the hubs are from real Halibags! Don`t get me wrong, it is still a magnificent feat, but like most models they seem to have rushed the final detail parts to get it on display quickly but then forgot to go back and rectify them at a later date,...something we are all guilty of in small scales!

All the best

Tony O

Edited by tonyot