Matchbox / Airfix and Revell Halifax Lovechildren

woody37

Absolutely made up with this airbrush. Got the green on now. As typical, removing the masks peeled off some brown. With the old airbrush, I would have to mask the surrounding area to spray repair or do it with a brush, but I was able to touch up by throttling this brush down and repairing free hand. It was like doing something in Photoshop !!!

DSCF0516.jpg

• Like 1

Nice-looking Halibag! Whatever its shortcomings, I do plan on buying the Revell kit; it'll be something to go along with the half-dozen of so Lancaster kits/models I have. At one time I had the Matchbox Halifax - I have no idea where it is now.

Regards,

Jason

Very well done Neil - very tenacious of you - apart from the excellent building skills you have demonstrated.

Please. if you show the model publicly do emphasise that it has been heavily modified and corrected as I would hate Revell to be in receipt of unjustified accolade.

I second that request!

Scott

Very well done Neil - very tenacious of you - apart from the excellent building skills you have demonstrated.

Please. if you show the model publicly do emphasise that it has been heavily modified and corrected as I would hate Revell to be in receipt of unjustified accolade.

Ditto!

Love to see how it turns out! B)

Mike. :)

Many thanks for your comments gents, really appreciated.

This is and always be a lovechild, your request will be granted !

I only tend to post here and a link to the build will be in the RFI thread. Still not had a reply from Revell in response to my complaint :(

Cheers

Thanks Mark. Tackling those Revell engines is enough to delay anyone !

They are a little off putting. I must admit and they are stalling me a bit. I made a folding seat for the Flight engineer yesterday so will post a short update tonight before I go to our model group.

Forgive me, but I think you need to turn down those upperwing roundels- they look awfully bright, unlike the fin flashes and fuselage roundels.

Great to see it coming together!

bob

Thanks for the comments guys.

Bob, they will be toned down, a light rub with black pastel whist applying some weathering has done one wing since the pics were taken.

Also stuck some Miliput on the wheels to increase the OD, although you'll only get some pics if after sanding, they look OK !!!!!

Also stuck some Miliput on the wheels to increase the OD, although you'll only get some pics if after sanding, they look OK !!!!!

Oh, I wanna see that. I may have to do something similar for the Harrow.

Great work, you're a fast builder!

Carlos

That is looking great Neil, well done mate, that is S-Sugar alright!

Having re scribed the wings and done the the upper surface camo of my Revell/Airfix Mk.VI `Lovechild' I`ve have been in the process of adding the black undersides however yesterday I pulled my back out quite seriously so I`m grounded for a while! One more coat of Black, then the masking tape comes off and I`ll add a photo before decalling takes place.

All the best mate

Tony O

Made a start on tidying the wheels up. Still some work to do yet, but they're getting there.

First step was to wrap a strip of plasticard around them

DSCF0520.jpg

Second step was to fill the steps with Miliput. One has been sprayed with primer to see it better while I sand to shape. They measure 23.5mm OD, a little small, but better.

DSCF0526.jpg

Cheers

• Like 1

To add to Neils fantastic progress on his Merlin engined Halibag, here is where I`m up to on the other `lovechild', using the Revell fuselage and a set of old Airfix wings to make a Hercules engined Halifax Mk.VI;

halirev1.jpg

Here the wheel wells have been boxed in, sorry about the grainy photo but the porch was covered in snow and no light was getting in!

halirev2.jpg

The upper surfaces of the wings and the engines were re scribed and the temperate land scheme began to be brushed on, starting with the fuselage. On the Halifax Mk.VI and some other Hercules engined variants the cooling gills do not go all around the engine so using photos of real aircraft as a guide the areas of the cowlings that should not have gills in place were sanded flat.

halirev3.jpg

Here the model has had the majority of the paintwork finished with Gloss varnish applied to the areas where the decals go and Red bands have been masked off and are being applied to the tail. A photo of the subject aircraft, which is PP206/ DY-P of 102 Sqn, was found to use as reference (its in front of the nose here) and the Xtradecal sheet will be utilised for the markings.

Thats all for now, the decals will be applied next...

PS-Thanks to quite a few of you for your concern about my back. As many of you know I have serious problems with it anyway due to a parachuting accident but a new vertebrae which has been playing up for some while has finally given up the goat! The doc has `cracked' it back into position and I`ve been pumped full of even more painkillers than I usually take, so hopefully I`ll be OK to model again soon? Its very sore and hard to get comfortable but it only makes me `shout out' now when I move!!

Cheers

Tony O

Edited by tonyot