Hasegawa 1/72nd F-14A Tomcat

Here are some photos of some of the decals that I have applied so far. These are mostly the Modeldecal one which are the oldest on this kit and I was a little worrried about them before applying them. Still they have held up very well and settled down well with the setting solutions that I am using. A few more nights and all the decals should be applied. Photos not that brilliant as they were done with my point and shoot camera. Any comments gratefully received.

F-14Tomcat037.jpg

F-14Tomcat038.jpg

F-14Tomcat039.jpg

F-14Tomcat040.jpg

All decals are now on, and the blue where the decals were scalloped on the tail has also been carefully painted. Have to have an enforce break this weekend due to the attendance of the show at Cosford, but will be getting on with the smaller bits during next week. Will also post some more photos of progress at the start of next week.

After acquiring at bottle of satin varnish at Cosford yesterday a coat of it was applied last night with a second coat to be done when finished here. Most of the smaller parts like the U/C doors are now also painted and waiting to be added. Found out last night that SWMBO will be at work on Friday and Saturday, so this will hopefully see me getting a lot more modelling done. I will also not be doing too much weathering as the aircraft is a CAG one and they are usually kept quite clean.

After what seems an eternity with photobucket here are some photos of the progress of this model. It now has its second coat of varnish so it is on with all the smaller items starting with the U/C and some Matt varnish tonight. It would have been more but what with my computer and Photobucket I now have less time for modelling. Glad that we now have a small extension to the GB, stops me doing some modelling after breakfast before I go to work.

F-14Tomcat041.jpg

F-14Tomcat042.jpg

F-14Tomcat043.jpg

F-14Tomcat044.jpg

thats looking the biz now - the early c/s is much better looking than the low-viz greys now is use thats for sure

thats looking the biz now - the early c/s is much better looking than the low-viz greys now is use thats for sure

Thanks, I do agree with you about the early C/S, although when the Tomcats went to all over Gull Grey alot of squadrons did tend to keep the high viz markings, it was not until TPS came about that the real tone down came about.

With wife at work for most of the day I got a fair bit done. All wheels, U/C doors, steps and stabilators have been added, nav lights, hook and a few touch ups painted. I did find out that the wire that I have been using for the ejector seat handles is too thick and will have to be replaced, but that can be done tomorrow. I did want to fit the canoopy in the closed position, but unfortunately it does not sit right, so I have painted the etch parts for it and will add this evening. Hopefully it will be completed by Sunday, if not definately Monday. Will post some photos tomorrow.

As promised some photos of where I am with this model. As you can see the U/C and associated doors, step and tailplanes are now. I have acquired some more wire which has been painted black and had some yellow cotton PVAed to it. I will let it dry before cutting and shaping. Also started adding the etch bits to the canopy, Hasegawas etched part do not seem to want to be removed from their fret. Hopefully I shall get this one wrapped up tonight or sometime tomorrow.

F-14Tomcat045.jpg

F-14Tomcat046.jpg

F-14Tomcat047.jpg

F-14Tomcat048.jpg

looks like a nice approach jabba....power on just in case of a bolter but you'll land ok :)

Had a bit of a problem last night. Whilst rubbing the model over a sheet of wet 'n' dry to slightly flatten the wheels, one of became detached from the model. So thoughtfully I put it down and stopped. This morning I drilled a hole in the U/C and offending wheel, then inserted a piece of thickish wire to act as a spindle. This is at the moment drying so should not affect the finish time of the model, just that it was so annoying. Hopefully pictures a bit later.

Thanks for the comments gents.

Edited by Jabba