Views on converting a FROG Barracuda?

phat trev

Anyone go any ideas to aid a conversion of a FROG Fairey Barracuda Mk.II to a late post war TRmk.V ?

Any conversion kits available? Aeroclub maybe? if not hen it looks like I will have to do a bit of DIY :wacko:

There's an OOP conversion set available from Maintrack - it has resin parts to make necessary changes to wingtips, nose, fin, etc.

David

There was a magazine in the early 1980's, the name of which escapes me (Scale Plastic Modeller or something similar) which involved a large amount of Milliput for the larger nose. I remember it mainly because the author had to describe what Milliput was and saying that its main use was for fixing leaks in pipes!

Is there anyone out there with the actual article?

Trevor

There's an OOP conversion set available from Maintrack - it has resin parts to make necessary changes to wingtips, nose, fin, etc.

David

I bet thats hard to come by!! I may stick to making a Mk.III in post war dark sea grey and sky, yet this conversion topic in a magazine sounds interesting!

Edited by phat trev

There was a magazine in the early 1980's, the name of which escapes me (Scale Plastic Modeller or something similar) which involved a large amount of Milliput for the larger nose. I remember it mainly because the author had to describe what Milliput was and saying that its main use was for fixing leaks in pipes!

Is there anyone out there with the actual article?

Trevor

I think I had that article. Could it be Airfix Magazine?

There's a Planet Model$ resin kit...

Carlos

I think I had that article. Could it be Airfix Magazine?

There's a Planet Model$ resin kit...

Carlos

No, definitely not Airfix Magazine.

There is an outside possibility I may have extracted the article and archived it.

I'll dig around..............

Trevor

Pretty sure the conversion article was in the old Aircraft Modelworld magazine back in the 1980s.

But there has been a resin kit of the Mk V from Magna. It's based on the Frog kit, so you can use injection-moulded bits from that and/or the Aeroclub improvement set for that kit if you are so minded. Magna kits can be hard work but this one is not too bad, esp with detail parts from the Aeroclub pack. No transfers but several interesting markings suggestions. Not sure if it's still available: Chris57 will know.

No, definitely not Airfix Magazine.

There is an outside possibility I may have extracted the article and archived it.

I'll dig around..............

Trevor

The article you may be thinking of may not have been Airfix Magazine but in roughly 1978-79 there was such a conversion article in Airfix. It was fairly involved, used some plasticard shims and a pile of milliput and was a fairly comprehensive and thorough conversion job. If you wanted to look out that conversion, it will be more likely to be 1978 - very definitely not 1977 but very definitely Airfix Magazine - it was the only one I was buying at that time.

• Like 1

Try this -

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/mags/uk/airfix_magazine70.htm

October 1978 - Barracuda Mk. V Conversion. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a fairly authoritative conversion with drawings for parts to scratchbuild.

That's the one I remember. A 3-page article by Alan Butler. I'll scan it if there is any interest.

Carlos

That's the one I remember. A 3-page article by Alan Butler. I'll scan it if there is any interest.

Carlos

Hello Carlos,i would love a copy please,regards.....Neil

But there has been a resin kit of the Mk V from Magna. It's based on the Frog kit, so you can use injection-moulded bits from that and/or the Aeroclub improvement set for that kit if you are so minded. Magna kits can be hard work but this one is not too bad, esp with detail parts from the Aeroclub pack. No transfers but several interesting markings suggestions. Not sure if it's still available: Chris57 will know.

Magna kit still available:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MAG7226

Kit contains optional fins, the original and the later tall ones.

• 8 years later...