Academy 1/72 F-14A VF-41 'Black Aces'

I'm in with this one please

Will be from the box using the included lo-viz markings for VF-41, maybe in flight with wheels up if I can find some pilot dudes in the spare box

Need to finish P-51 and X-Wing for other GBs before I get going with this

f14_070112.jpg

Edited by cjhm

The 1/72 academy kt is quite nice for the price. On mine I had to struggle with the fit more than I expected, hope yours is a luckier kit !

Small curiosity: that box contains the rare markings for one of the aircrafts used during operation Eagle Claw, the ill fated attempt to rescue the US embassy prisoners in Teheran.

I have bearly started my Mustang....

"Snafu"/Ørjan

this sounds familiar.....as well as a mustang I also have a USN Sea King to finish......

at least the helo compliments the Tomcat :)

good luck with it tho'

Thanks for your support folks, P-51 and X-Wing finished so ready to start building later today

Appreciate offers on pilots but good news is I have found some suitable chaps in Hasegawa X72-7 pilot set, definitely going 'wheels up', probably with a base similar to the Buccaneer I did a while back

Edited by cjhm

Right, work started

Stuck some cockpit bits together etc and applied some paint to interior

Seats were tricky, no clear alignment guides but think they are OK

f14140112_1.jpg

Stuck some more bits together, I thought this was a new mould but gather it's 20 years old, does not seem to be up to Academys usual standard of fit and detail

Have modified wings so they can clip in after painting

f14140112_2.jpg

Coming along

Started to add closed up UC doors, needed to trim a lot and still gaps as the doors don't match the openings ...

Poor fit around the front fuselage as well but having fun anyway

f14150112_2.jpg

f14150112_1.jpg

f14150112_3.jpg

UC doors filled \ sanded and intake insides painted

Engine fronts added, elevators (elevons?) glued in place, wings clipped in to see what it will look like

f14_200112_0.jpg

f14_200112_1.jpg

Intakes and missile supports in place, jet pipes have had 10mm hole drilled in rear ready for perspex rods which will hold it in flight

f14_200112_2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Coming along, started to paint with Lifecolor Light Gull Gray, brush painted with Windsor & Newton Flow Improver to help keep it smooth

Painting the seats as well and prepared pilots

f14_300112.jpg

Coming along, started to paint with Lifecolor Light Gull Gray, brush painted with Windsor & Newton Flow Improver to help keep it smooth

Painting the seats as well and prepared pilots

Looking good and like the pilots. How much of the flow improver did you use? I'm a brush man myself and the lads in my modelling club swear by it.

All the best

Shamrock

Edited by Dermo245

Looking good and like the pilots. How much of the flow improver did you use? I'm a brush man myself and the lads in my modelling club swear by it.

All the best

Shamrock

Hi Shamrock

Yes, its good stuff, I picked some up after reading good things about it here on BM

I decant it into a small glass dropper bottle (removes the risk of knocking over the full bottle and wasting it). For small areas I normally use the paint deposited on the inside of a shaken pot of Lifecolor and add the smallest drop of the Flow Improver. For the F-14 I added 2 full dropper loads (1 at a time then tested) to a new full pot.

It does seem to 'froth' the paint slightly but it quickly settles down and looks very smooth to my eyes, I used it on my Vulcan and X-Wing

All the best

Chris

Coming along, glossed ready for decals (Lifecolor + flow improver by brush) with jet pipes, gun mouth and wing 'pocket' painted in Citadel Chainmail and Boltgun Metal with Badab Black wash

f14_040212_2.jpg

f14_040212_1.jpg

Decaling in progress

Wings are done and sealed with satin varnish (Lifecolor + flow improver by brush) ready for a wash, fuselage nearly done

f14_060212.jpg