1/48 VF-14 Tophatters F-14a 80th Anniversary scheme

She's coming along, has been a bit of an epic weekend and it still isn't finished! :blink:

I've done all the little things, managed to get the canopy finished off and started to get the fightertown decals on. I'm about 75% of the way through hence why I haven't got any pictures. :blush:

Have found the fightertown decals amazing, the level of detail and quality is absolutely spot-on but the instructions are dire! The sheet is even incorrect relating to the decals they provide let alone the actual aircraft. Shows decals in places that aren't on the sheet or on the aircraft and there are decals on the sheet that aren't on the instructions. Luckily I've managed to find pretty good source photographs but if you couldn't it would be a real head-ache! But then I guess the argument is that if you're using aftermarket decals you're going to be taking the hobby to a point that you are find sources and working from there and not the supplied sheets.

+1 on the Fightertown decals. I must admit, they aren't too clear all the time with numbering or labelling, it's pretty much for you to play hide and seek on the sheet! But they are brilliant decals, Microsol those babies up and they look painted on!

Glad to hear you're cracking on.

Unfortunately decalling a tomcat is always not easy because the stencils can have many variations. If then the instructions are not properly done, this can become a nightmare ! Having a picture of the aircraft helps a lot but still sometimes some interpretation of other pictures is required.

Hope you can manage to sort things out !

Luckily the tophatters own website has a nice collection of pictures of the 80th Anniversary aircraft and even fightertowns own photobucket account had loads but they all seem to have disappeared. But, there have been a few educated guesses :lol:

I've been using revell decal soft as it's all I've been able to get and it's been working OK, though the wing edge decals have been causing a few head aches and I'm probably just going to end up painting those bits on, but that's no major biggy. Though a coat of klear has been really pulling the decals down and leaving a great finish.

For wing tip decals you mean the formation 'slime lights?

Looking at references, these are a dull, mustardy, yellow from fading (particularly the wingtip lights) and I painted over mine with Humbrol 83 Ochre. I future, I won't even bother with the decals and I'll just paint 'em on!

Hope that helps.

Unfortunately decalling a tomcat is always not easy because the stencils can have many variations. If then the instructions are not properly done, this can become a nightmare ! Having a picture of the aircraft helps a lot but still sometimes some interpretation of other pictures is required.

Hope you can manage to sort things out !

you can say that again........... :unsure:

For wing tip decals you mean the formation 'slime lights?

Looking at references, these are a dull, mustardy, yellow from fading (particularly the wingtip lights) and I painted over mine with Humbrol 83 Ochre. I future, I won't even bother with the decals and I'll just paint 'em on!

Hope that helps.

Yeah, I've been thinking about it today and I'm gonna pick off what has gone on, mask them up and paint them. Thinking a mixing up some signal yellow with some black to dull them down and some white to fade it down.

Here's a couple of pics of the work from last night, not finished yet and I'm yet to sort out the base. Excuse the mess :blush:

SAM_1077.jpg

Getting ready

SAM_1079.jpg

One side getting there

SAM_1085.jpg

As far as it stands tonight

Good work mate. I'll echo what Parabat has said about the slime lights on the wing tips. They are removable panels and do get covered in grease etc. I've built 10 1/48 'cats and haven't been able to get the decals on right once! I normally paint them on with a 50:50 mix of tamiya flat yellow and flat white give them a dusting over with weathering pigment.

Dave

Well just dipping in under the wire I'm calling this one finished :beer:

Have spent today fixing my mess of the slime lights, repainting the decals that had got knocked and applying a bit of dirt to the wing roots.

SAM_1089.jpg

SAM_1091.jpg

SAM_1090.jpg

I haven't gone over board on the weathering as all of the source images I could find with this livery showed a pretty clean airframe, that and I picked up the wrong pastels, oil instead of chalk. :wall:

Only thing to finish is off is print off a decent base image and get the proper pictures taken tonight.

Will admit it's not perfect and at times in the build I felt out of my depth having not built anything since I was about 15 but I have learnt so much along the way and feel a lot more confident going into my next build. Just want to say thank you to everyone for the advice during the build and esp. to Parabat for answering all my questions early on and to Giorgio N for all the advice and DaveJL for building some truly inspirational cats during this group build, follow your WIP threads have been a massive help!

Cheers guys and roll on the next one. :speak_cool:

Yeah the slim lights caused me the biggest head ache at the end of the build and going forward I'm just going to mask them up and paint them on. I hadn't got a coat of klear on the white stripe decals so when I masked the slime lights the tape pulled them off so had to paint them in too. :doh:

well done.....and a good job as well

one small criticism tho'....

Just want to say thank you to everyone for the advice during the build and esp. to Parabat for answering all my questions early on and to Giorgio N for all the advice and DaveJL for building some truly inspirational cats during this group build, follow your WIP threads have been a massive help!

....you might find that as your navy career progresses, it's wise to thank the ship's commanding officer as well as the other senior officers, even tho in this case, this particular captain doesnt know anything and didnt do much anyway...

:)

edit -

oh, and he cant type either...

Edited by kev1n