1/48 VF-14 Tophatters F-14a 80th Anniversary scheme

Well, haven't managed to get on with much for past few days and tbh seeing the pace that some of the other builds are moving I'm starting to feel a bit ashamed! :blush:

Have been mainly working on trying to get the best out of the wings, haven't really been able to get them to go together as per the instructions for wings out/flaps down, and having read over David W. Aungst's construction guide I've decided to do a bit of scratch building to get the correct profile. I'll put some pictures up if it works :lol:

Have also been doing a bit of work on the beaver tail, the main fuselage is now together with the main wheel wells in place and the intake ramps are adjusted and in. Have done and painted the intakes, their not perfectly smooth but was happy enough with the finish.

Promise I'll try and get some pictures up soon, once I've done some photo worthy bits :blush:

Edited by DannyB

Sounds like you're geting on just fine DannyB, the wing fix by David Aungst is something I'm wanting to try on a future Tomcat(with everything 'hanging out'). Your cockpit looks pretty darn good, I'd be happy with that!

Hope your build goes well, although small things don't fit as well as advertised, the fixes are relatively simple and the results are great! Hang in there...

Rip-Cord

• 1 month later...

Feel really bad that I haven't updated this thread for over a month! :blush:

I've been slowly working on bits and last night started to turn a corner with regards to the colour and finish that I was hoping for with this. I have experimented with a revell can-powered airbrush with mixed results and now have gone back to brush painting but using revell aqua acrylics instead of tamiya to get the right grey for the body work. Unfortunately several disasters have befallen the build so far, destroyed the kit nose-cone with too much glue when stick in the nose weights (new one on it's way) and a couple of goes of getting the right finish on the wings. :wall:

A few pictures of how things are coming along.

Intakes together and painted

DSC_0327.jpg

Engine cans

DSC_0328.jpg

Rear air brake

DSC_0326.jpg

And, finally everything starting to come together after last nights painting session

DSC_0336.jpg

So, left on the top do list is to finish off the exterior painting and stick everything together, construct and paint the canopys, and finish off the front with the new nose cone. Then the fun begins with the decals. So not too much left :lol:

Don't feel bad, most of us are slow modellers ! :lol:

Good to see you're progressing. The problems you've had were sure disappointing, don't let them affect your progress !

I never had much success myself in brush-painting tamiya acrylics. Revell's aqua are much better for this.

Cheers guys, as I said it does feel like I've turned a bit of a corner now.

Giorgio: I've found for tight smaller areas the tamiya acrylics have gone down really nicely, thick but not too thick, and nicely drying into detailed areas, but when it came to rying to get a nice flat coat out of them it was nearly impossible! The revells are soo much nicer to work with in large areas and now I'm mixing them with tamiya thinners and working with several coats to keep a nice flat finish. :D

Hopefully I'll be able to get some better pictures once it starts coming together but I have been using several different pictures from the tophatters website as reference in regards to the colours. And, after seeing Diego Quijano's fantastic blog articles (here ) on using zenithal light effects I have started adding the shadows and shading myself.

But, I won't know how well it's gone until I get it together! :pray:

Well, got a load more done at the weekend, with the engines put in, nose cone in place and front end added the the main body it's now actually looking like an F-14 and realising just how big the model really is!

Wings are almost done, just need to get the leading edges finished off with the bare metal strip along the leading edge then they can go together.

Started putting the canopy together and getting that painted though my biggest issue is getting the tiny photo-edged strips with the rear view mirrors on bent into the right curve! Any body got any tips on the best way of doing, just can't seem to get the right amount of curve without it folding :wall:

Will get some pictures up if I get chance later :D

Wings are almost done, just need to get the leading edges finished off with the bare metal strip along the leading edge then they can go together.

This one step in painting a tomcat I always hate ! Will you use paint here or real metal strips ?

One trick i've used for the rear mirror is to put a bit of masking tape on the outside of the canopy and then bend the metal bit around the taped section of the canopy. Avoids marking the clear parts and doesn't slip! Look forward to seeing pictures.

This one step in painting a tomcat I always hate ! Will you use paint here or real metal strips ?

Ah I don't know the stage I'm hating at the moment is trying to get a nice flat coat with a paint brush without laying down so much paint I lose the panel lines. I'm planning on using a mix of tamiya chrome silver and burnt iron, found it gives a nice weathered look without being too dark.

One trick i've used for the rear mirror is to put a bit of masking tape on the outside of the canopy and then bend the metal bit around the taped section of the canopy. Avoids marking the clear parts and doesn't slip! Look forward to seeing pictures.

Cracking tip Dave! Was racking my brain last night about the best way to do it. Had tried using white blue-tak moulded to the shape of the canopy but found it was too soft and was allowing the PE to fold, then tried glueing one end to the canopy with pva to try and then work it around the shape, and the pva wasn't holding it strong enough! But using masking tape reversed around the top of the canopy sounds perfect! :D

Got my first bit of major body work done last night! :D

I know it's a little bit out of sequence but as soon as I finished my first go at scribing I couldn't resist getting the decals on tails. A bit rough around the edges and I've got the wrong colour on the lights but she's starting to come together.

2012-03-07001111.jpg

2012-03-07001152.jpg

Really pleased with how bright the decals are though the only trouble I've had is getting them to sit down over the raised strip the comes up through the middle.

Really pleased with how bright the decals are though the only trouble I've had is getting them to sit down over the raised strip the comes up through the middle.

They look great Danny.

If you have it, a few applications of Microsol should help conform the decal into the details.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the slow progress guys, been a bit hectic but have been trying to snatch the odd break and get some modelling done.

Finally grew a pair and stuck the wings together last night, they're not perfect but I'm pretty happy with them and once I get the decals on and the weathering done they should look OK :D

2012-03-14233544.jpg

I've also been making sure I get the last of the lumps and bumps stuck on the main fuselage, which is nearly there, so masked up the black flash across the nose and got that painted.

2012-03-14233557.jpg

Been doing a load of fiddly bits too but nothing really photo-worthy, missile racks are together with a bit of the eduard photo-etch added, fuel tanks together and painted, and I've put in the front racks underneath. Though annoying realised I forgot to open up the holes for the missile racks and fuel tanks before I closed up the body, still trying to figure out exactly how I'm gonna get round it :wall:

But, atleast she's now starting to look like a tomcat and it's gonna be huge! :D

2012-03-14233500.jpg

Next up it's decal the undercarriage, finish painting and attach undercarriage doors, paint and detail crew ladder, finish canopy, apply all the decals and then a bit of weathering. Not much to finish :wacko:

Cheers for the comments guys, starting to feel like it's coming together :D

Bit of an update:

No photos unfortunately but got a bit more done last night, had another crack at the canopies with the photo-etch from eduards and had a bit more luck so the front canopy is now complete with the trim and grab handle in place and even got the mirrors to behave eventually. took the masking tape off the black flash and noticed I'd got the shape wrong even after referencing loads of photos online and the fighter town sheets so got it re-masked and plan to fix that over the weekend. Painted up my crew ladder which is now really starting to look like it should and only needs a little touching up.

Also, had a look at the revell vandy kit I've got and omg hasegawa all is forgiven, the fit looks terrible and that's before I've even started filling in all the pin holes! Can't believe you only get a pilot and no rear, poor little guy looks really lonely so planning on using the ones from the hasegawa kit as I couldn't get them to fit properly in this one. It's gonna be fun if I get chance to start it before the end of the group build. :lol::lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers for the kick capt'n :D

I have been slowly pluggin away with all the fiddly little bits. Got round more problem of having forgotten to punch the holes through for the pylons before sealing up the halves. A lighter, a narrow scribe and a lot of luck later the holes were open again and I was able to get everything in place.

Have spent my time this afternoon actually getting things together! Tails are on, rear stabilisers are on and the wings are curing.

Here's the most up to date pics. the tamiya pots are helping to keep the wings at the same level as I've had a problem with the rhs, pretty certain I didn't get that side compressed enough when I stuck it together as the wing just flops about when you push it home. :doh: The other side is fine though.

SAM_1062.jpg

SAM_1063.jpg

SAM_1064.jpg

Next up is finish the canopy, get a couple of coat of future on and then start getting the decals on. I might make the end of the month! :lol: