1/12 Scale Bluebird K7

Madmonk

Couldn't help my self this evening so here is a quick test fit of the cockpit components. Just tacked together, plenty to do on it to get it anything like it should be.

IMG_0159.jpg

Cheers,

Warren

Hi, Mike from The Bluebird Project here. I'm not particularly familiar with this kit, but will be interested to see how it comes out! Referring to the pic, here's some pointers-

Bluebird's frames were numbered from stern to nose- her transom being frame 1, and her nose frame 22. The white plasticard area shown here represents frame 15, and is remembered by us as 'Donald leans on F15'. The resin seat sides here are a little low- they should extend to the top of F15. The curved frame at the rear of the seat, actually touching the card here, is an error- there is no such frame. Treat F15 as a big rectangle that the seat protrudes from. The next frames along, F16, are a little too far aft here- they extend more from the middle of the seat sides. Treat them as approximate elbow rests.

The seat itself is wrong- it always is in models. Cut the seat off level with the top of the two sides, then the headrest is a separate piece, mounted up in the 'triangle' between the air intakes. The harness extends through the resultant gap, over the top of the seat from the top of F15. The stitching on the separate headrest is vertical, not horizontal.

Bet you wish you'd never asked already, LOL!

Mike,

Thanks for the pointers maybe the IP is the wrong place to start!!

I have a set of plans on CD so will start there then look at your pictures on the build diary.

The kit interior may well not be that accurate as the kit is designed to be fitted out with an engine and R/C gear.

Any other pointers are more than welcome and much appreciate Mike.

Cheers,

Warren

Just had a look through the Bluebird Project Diary and found Mike's guided tour of the cockpit. It appears that there is quite a bit of additional equipment to add. Infact the only things that the kit contain are the IP, steering wheel and seat.

Items to add include.

Air guage and valve

Radio and cardboard battery box!

G-meter

Fire panel

Throttle pedal

Trouser guard!

Throttle linkages

Low pressure fuel cock

Bloctube box

If you don't know about the build diary it's worth a good look at. British engineering at its best, or back to its best.

• 1 month later...

Sorry chaps,

Unfortunately the constraints of every day life got the better of me and there is still more decorating to do!

The build isn't dead, still on the bench, well actually under it so will continue on with it but probably at a slow pace.

Cheers,

Warren