1/12 Scale Bluebird K7

Madmonk

Having got this kit out of the stash cupboard to photo the contents for another BM members thread I have decided not to put it back but have a go at it.

Bluebird K7 has always fascinated me even though i was born 3 months after it's fatal run in January 1967.

Box shot.

IMG_0152-1.jpg

The kit is a multi-media with the main parts being glass fibre, plenty of resin parts, sheets of plastic and metal, metal rods and decals.

IMG_0154-1.jpg

It will be a couple of weeks or so before I get started, have another couple of GBs to finish.

Finished model is about 700mm long so I guess it counts as Big Scale!!

IMG_0157.jpg

More soon.

Cheers,

Warren

:wub:

That looks like an absolutely cracking project! I think if I had that in my stash I'd be nervous to start - but that's shouting 'build me' - even from where I'm sitting!!

I would have been 8 months old in Jan '67...

Iain

:wub: :wub: now that is a thing of beauty. It also looks eminently RC-able. Are you going the remote way on this? I would love to see that thing blast the waves

Basosz,

It is RC-able but I'm building it as a static model, will look really nice in the dining room, just need to convince SWMBO!!!

Couldn't help my self this evening so here is a quick test fit of the cockpit components. Just tacked together, plenty to do on it to get it anything like it should be.

IMG_0159.jpg

Cheers,

Warren

Edited by Madmonk

Looking through some of the books I have there appears to be a few things missing from the cockpit, in particular any form of throttle mechanism!

Will also have to do something with the resin dashboard, not too inspiring!

Basosz, there is a video on you tube of one of these in RC-able format

Edited by Madmonk

That is pretty cool. I love how little of the boat actually touches the water, but then again she was built for that I suppose. One can only imagine what it was like to drive the real deal...

I'll be watching this one with interest. One of the earliest things I remember is playing with my brothers' Dinky Proteus Bluebird diecast cars (they had one each), so I've been aware of the Campbells for virtually my whole life. Does anyone remember the BBC TV drama from the 1980s with Anthony Hopkins as Donald? Haven't seen it since it was first shown, but I was captivated.

Obi,

If I remember correctly it was an Australian production called Across the Lake, never seen it in any of the shops here seem to remember reading that there were some sort of issue with it.

Cheers,

Warren

Interesting.

I've always thought there's enough of a story there to make a bloody good feature film, if only someone would propose it. After all, speed records make for exciting viewing. The World's Fastest Indian got some good reviews...

The World's Fastest Indian got some good reviews...

Another good film, Mr Hopkins had better be careful, he might get type cast!!

I have the small matter of a Martian Fighting Machine to finish before this one gets started properly.

Cheers,

Warren

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me! :)

Iaim

Iain,

With your preference for scale and subject, I'm sure it is reasonable to you!

Do you have a dining room the size of a tennis court? :)

Phil.

Have to dig my copy out and watch it again, meantime,

Dave

Enjoyed that, always happy to celebrate one of my great boyhood heroes. Do you or anyone else have any idea what happened to the film replica? Did it "go" or was it basically a floater, I'm guessing the going shots in the clip are from colour archive footage?

Steve.

Enjoyed that, always happy to celebrate one of my great boyhood heroes. Do you or anyone else have any idea what happened to the film replica? Did it "go" or was it basically a floater, I'm guessing the going shots in the clip are from colour archive footage?

Steve.

The replica used in Across The Lake was just a floater, but it's still extant , used to be at Holker Hall near Grange over Sands, Cumbria, but the Lakeland Motor Museum Collection of which it is part have moved to Backbarrow near Ulverston. Linky Must go and have a look one day!

If you want a replica that floats (most of the time - it took on a bit of water at Coniston Speed Week last year!) and moves under its own Orpheus power have a look here

And of course there's the genuine article nearing completion here

• 2 weeks later...
The replica used in Across The Lake was just a floater, but it's still extant , used to be at Holker Hall near Grange over Sands, Cumbria, but the Lakeland Motor Museum Collection of which it is part have moved to Backbarrow near Ulverston. Linky Must go and have a look one day!

If you want a replica that floats (most of the time - it took on a bit of water at Coniston Speed Week last year!) and moves under its own Orpheus power have a look here

And of course there's the genuine article nearing completion here

Thanks for these links Dave, fascinating & exciting in turn. Sorry to have missed them the first time round, sort of slipped under me radar. :(

Steve.

Nothing happening just yet due to other modelling commitments, I have a commission for some 1/43rd scale F1 drivers to complete.

I have started planning though and getting some resources together. Last time we were in Coniston I went to the Ruskin Museum and whilst there I bought Leo Villa's Bluebird Album, great book with a lot of Leo's personal photos in. Doesn't just cover K7 but all the Bluebird projects that he was involved in. I also have a disc somewhere with a full set of plans of K7 so need to find that out as well.

Hopefully in the next few days I will be able to get going in earnest.

The book by the way has some great 3D photos in it.