1/48 F-14D VF-31 "Tomcatters" 2006

Well, my fellow "Tomcatters".

Here is my little project for this GB. I hope to make myself proud....

Box:

DSC_0491.jpg

Sprues:

DSC_0493.jpg

Aftermarket, Wolfpack "Tomcatters", Aires exhausts & Cockpit. Different makes of decals....

DSC_0494-1.jpg

Some of the reference... Have a few more bigger books for this. Could not fit in the picture...

DSC_0496.jpg

And should end up like this.... I think. Either this or some other VF-31 bird from 2006.

1144992.jpg

Well...

Let`s see how this ends...

Edited by RNoAF Aerobatic Team

Very nice Orjan. I haven't seen that boxing before, am I right in thinking it's the first D boxing?

Very appropriate that VF-31 was the final squadron, along with 213. I like that scheme very much.

Joel

Very nice Orjan. I haven't seen that boxing before, am I right in thinking it's the first D boxing?

Very appropriate that VF-31 was the final squadron, along with 213. I like that scheme very much.

Joel

To be honest, I have no clue:-)

But I will do my best to get it together....

Shaun....

To be honest I have not yet even looked inside the Wolfpack box.

Have to do that before bed :huh:

I was just wondering if they are worth getting?, the kit items have not got the oval plate detail on the underside.

I know royal resin do a really nice set

Shaun.

Started yesterday by cleaning out the resin parts from Wolfpack. Thankfully they are not hard and difficult, but soft to cut clean.

And they are very nice in detail.

Also watched Modern Marvels Tomcat Farewell on TV last night.

Would you believe me if I said that on the day of the GB start on saturday at 2100 they showed "TOP GUN" on the telly!! What a great omen!!!!

Will post more pics as the work continues!

Here are some of the Wolfpack resin after I have cleaned it up.

DSC_0524.jpg

Also took the Aires parts with me to work this evening/night for cleaning out. The Cockpit and Exhausts....

Does anyone else have the exhausts? For the D model? And the are not coming together?

Mine is nothing like the instructions say..... And they defenetly do not fit together...

But I forgot them at work and therefore no piccys:-(

Will have more pics tomorrow night....

When you say the Aires exhaust do not go together, what do you mean? For the A, I think you have to hollow out the plastic "doughnuts" to let the burner can slide through it, but I wouldn't think you'd have to do that with the D exhausts as the "doughnut" and fairing is cast in resin...?

Jens

DSC_0526.jpg

Jens

As you can see from the drawing/Instructions there should be an "extra" fairing on part number RP6. That would probably be the base where RP4/3 would rest on.

But if you have a look at the parts that is missing.

I also have figured out that part number RP5 has to be hollowed out a bit to let RP2 fit inside.... Also the notches that the instructions are reffering to are not there in any parts...I have also cut away more of the resin than the instructions say to try to fit, but not so far....

I have to be tougher!

Also took the Aires parts with me to work this evening/night for cleaning out. The Cockpit and Exhausts....

:D Did the same thing today with the Aires cockpit and wheel wells. You can't imagine how I...and the shop...looked afterwards :devil: Glad I didn't do it at home!

Good luck with getting all the different sets to fit together. I hope to have time today to take a picture of my bundle...which is almost the same. Wolfpack, Aires, Hasegawa, Royal Resin...

Cheers,

Alex

Snafu, that's going to look great! I really admire all you guys who are adding resin cockpits, extra details and decals to your kits.

To be honest, I feel a bit of a fraud building OOB... :confused:

No reason to feel that!

I feel I have water WAY above my head on this Tomcat.

Never used Aires or other resin parts in a kit before. Also found out that the landing gear in the kit is broken in more than one place.

I have ordered a set of landing gear from Sprue Brothers Models in metal. Lets hope that they fit:-)

Regarding the exhausts...

I have not put them together yet... Work is a thing that comes in the way all the time:-)

Will have to see during the weekend or..... something.

To be honest, I feel a bit of a fraud building OOB... :confused:

I feel similarly building OOB. I always think i'm not doing my kits justice by not dolling them up with all that AM stuff. Oh well ...

Enjoying watching your progress on this one.

Armitage