Converting Revell's A340-300 into an A330-200

I have recently bought a 1/144th scale Airbus A340-300 and have decided to convert it into an A330-200.

I'll be doing a Gulf Air Grand Prix scheme (many thanks to Cuprar for sorting me out with the decals) which is in a very attractive gold colour with red engines.

The main difference is obviously the fact that one is a quad and the other a twin, which will be overcome by using a set of BraZ Rolls-Royce Trent engines seen on the A330. I've also got BraZ's larger tail fin which the A330-200 uses to counteract the shorter fuselage length.

The other very important difference is the fuselage, I'll have to remove 6 frames from the front and 4 from the rear to get the shorter fuselage seen on the -200 models.

Here are some progress shots...

Firstly I held the fuselage halves together and marked out the areas that needed to be removed:

IMG_0988.jpg

Which resulted in this:

IMG_0990.jpg

Next the windows were blocked off and the sections alined and stuck:

IMG_0991.jpg

These scrap pieces will go into the spares box... you never know when they may come in useful:

IMG_1002.jpg

These two show the fuselage together and ready for some filler:

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

Not bad for an evening's work!

I'll add some more pictures as I progress.

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

Why is it we both start the same builds lol, I've just started mine for my virgin Australia A330-200. What fin did you get because there are 2 for the 200

I think the old saying goes... 'great minds think alike' :D

I've got the earlier tail as the newer edition wasn't available at the time.

I think the old saying goes... 'great minds think alike' :D

isnt there one about fools following or something?

just curious........

:)

where can i get the tail and is it neede for the A340-200?

As said BraZ do it, Hannants have them in stock at the moment along with RR Trent engines.

Tom/Chris,

Make that 3 of us doing this conversion!

a330-3.jpg

Chopped up using the downloaded plans from Draw decals, I did the fin myself using a plasticard insert to increase the chors & height;

a330-1.jpg

I masked & painted the bmi tail. Wings are on & fuselage is now painted. Braz engines are nearly ready to go on.

[Edit] to add an up to date pic;[/Edit]

a330-2-1.jpg

Cheers,

John

Edited by Viking

Viking and Busdriver... very nice builds.

I love the look of the -200, it just looks 'right' somehow. I've got some filler on mine today so hopefully I will be able to call the fusleage done soon.

Tom

To help you all decide which tail is correct for your -200 build :) :

Hannants BZ4011 (BraZ P/N B4KT32) is the early standard fin. Tom, this is the one to use if you're building A9C-KB.

Hannants BZ4062 (BraZ P/N B4KT32M) is the post modification 48979 fin fitted to the A330-200 from MSN0555 (B-16303 flown by EVA). This modification introduced the A340-500/600 vertical stabiliser and rudder assembly on the A330-200. The mod wasn't applicable to the A330-300.

If you can't determine which tail is required for a specific aircraft, post the details and I can find out.

HTH

Jonathan

To help you all decide which tail is correct for your -200 build :) :

Hannants BZ4011 (BraZ P/N B4KT32) is the early standard fin. Tom, this is the one to use if you're building A9C-KB.

Hannants BZ4062 (BraZ P/N B4KT32M) is the post modification 48979 fin fitted to the A330-200 from MSN0555 (B-16303 flown by EVA). This modification introduced the A340-500/600 vertical stabiliser and rudder assembly on the A330-200. The mod wasn't applicable to the A330-300.

If you can't determine which tail is required for a specific aircraft, post the details and I can find out.

HTH

Jonathan

Thanks for the information Jonathan, it appears that by luck I've got the correct tail then!

Progress with the fuselage over the weekend.

First I filled everything including all the windows:

IMG_0995.jpg

Then when dry everything was sanded smooth:

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

I've also added BraZ's fin, seen here on the right - note how much larger it is:

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

Next it'll be the wings.

Tom

Took a back seat on it, been cutting my shuttle about for the 747 SCA

Nice, I'll look forward to that. Shifted your 1/72nd 743 yet? I still think you should have a crack at it!!!

Nice, I'll look forward to that. Shifted your 1/72nd 743 yet? I still think you should have a crack at it!!!

Still got it buddy, nobody wants to pay the money for it! I even put up a trade post for a trumpy tomcat but no joy. I would love to build it but no room and didn't think it was that big

Still got it buddy, nobody wants to pay the money for it! I even put up a trade post for a trumpy tomcat but no joy. I would love to build it but no room and didn't think it was that big

Yes she is a big girl... I reckon ebay may be your best bet. Good luck!