Saturn IB

As promised, here are the pictures of my Apollo 7 Saturn IB. I can safely say that I did more work on this model than any other I've ever built - normally all my models are straight OOB but on this occasion I wanted to correct a few things. The Airfix model is of an early version of the Saturn IB but by the time Apollo 7 flew there had been a number of upgrades, most noticeably at the base of the first stage where the engine skirts and turbine exhaust vents were removed. On the kit the exhaust vents are separate parts so it was just a case of leaving them off and filling the location holes but the skirts were an integral part of the baseplate onto which the engines were attached and once they were cut off I had to attach a ring of plasticard inside the first stage for the baseplate to fit against. Simple enough but already more modification than I normally do!

The biggest changes were to the S-IVB second stage. Reference books describe this as the same vehicle that was used as the third stage of the Saturn V but this is an oversimplification. Again, there were numerous differences between the two types - mainly because once the Saturn IB version had delivered Apollo into orbit, its job was done. On the Saturn V version it had to restart its engine to send the spacecraft to the Moon. The differences were visible around the base - the number and size of the auxiliary propulsion rockets. The Airfix kit represents the Saturn V version so I tried to convert it to the older type.

So if anybody is still awake, here are the pictures:

PIC_0074.jpg

Saturn IB in all its glory.

PIC_0075.jpg

Close-up of the bottom of the first stage. The 'UNITED STATES' markings with the black stripes are aftermarket decals produced by Martin Goldsack.

PIC_0076.jpg

Interstage section showing some of the modifications. The pointed silver piece in the centre is smaller than on the Saturn V version (it's actually made from the top half of the Apollo launch escape tower!) Also, the two triangular pieces on either side were also modified as there are three of them here and only two on the Saturn V.

PIC_0080.jpg

Thrust structure of the S-IVB. This is a resin replacement part, also produced by Martin Goldsack, as the kit version is greatly simplified. The silver sphere at lower right is part of the helium pressurisation system and there are nine of them on the stage as flown on the Saturn V - though of course these don't show when the stack is assembled.

PIC_0081.jpg

What it was all about - the Apollo Command & Service Modules. On all previous releases of both the Saturn IB and Saturn V these parts were totally wrong - the SM was much too narrow and had inaccurate surface detail. Fortunately for modellers, when Airfix was preparing to reissue the kits a couple of years ago they were persuaded to correct them, as the error was glaringly obvious when compared to photos of the real thing.