VF-1S Super Valkyrie

Azgaron

I'm in with a kit from the Macross/Robotech universe.

vf-1s_super_valkyrie_box_640x480.jpg

Here's some pics of the contents:

Description in Japanese.

vf-1s_supervalkyrie_100th_contents_1_640x480.JPG

6 sprues in gray and blue.gray plastic.

vf-1s_supervalkyrie_contents_2_640x480.JPG

vf-1s_supervalkyrie_100th_contents_3_640x480.JPG

vf-1s_supervalkyrie_100th_contents_4_640x480.JPG

vf-1s_supervalkyrie_100th_contents_5_640x480.JPG

vf-1s_supervalkyrie_100th_contents_6_640x480.JPG

Metal gears, poly caps and canopy in clear plastic.

vf-1s_supervalkyrie_100th_contents_7_640x480.JPG

Decals

vf-1s_supervalkyrie_100th_contents_8_640x480.JPG

Now I just need to figure what colors to use.

Cheers,

Håkan

Although there are simularities, I think not. Transformers are living mecha, but these are piloted by humans, and only (almost) have airplane shape.

Check this.

Cheers,

Håkan

I've started building! :)

vf-1s_supervalkyrie_100th_2_noses_640x480.JPG

Both noses made. They need some sanding and filling before I can paint them.

It seems like the best way to build this kit is by doing sub assemblies and painting them first, as painting some parts later might be difficult.

Cheers,

Håkan

I've done some progress!

vf-1s_supervalkyrie_100th_assembly_1_640x480.JPG

Many sub-assemblies to do and lot of filling and sanding, even if the seams are pretty good.

I've also started painting the pilot.

vf-1s_supervalkyrie_100th_pilot_paint_1_640x480.JPG

So far just skin and white with a grey wash. I will add highlights and details soon.

Cheers,

Håkan

Pilot done (almost).

vf-1s_supervalkyrie_100th_pilot_paint_2_640x480.JPG

I noticed I've made a small mistake, and painted his belt in blue instead of purple.

Cheers,

Håkan

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting build! Pardon my ignorance, but is this bascially a Transformer, but without the brand name?

J.

Kind of. Transforming toys were the rage in Japan in the late 70s and early 1980s. This design comes from a Japanese anime show called "Macross". The design of the plane is highly influenced by the F-14 (right down to the Skull squadron markings on the tails, with VF-84 Jolly Rogers influences), and the pilots of these machines fly in a fighter squadron in the show. Now if it resembles a specific Transformer, that is correct as in the early 1980s, the Hasbro toy company in the US was looking for Japanese transforming robot toy properties they could import into the US and rebadge as their own. This became known as the "Transformers" toy line. So the Macross VF-1S Super Valkyrie became the Transformer known as "Jetfire".

I've built a few of these. Yes you do have to approach it in sub assemblies to build and paint and the seams on the parts may end up driving you nuts in the process. But it can be done up well enough. So build the chest, legs, arms and the missile packs, paint them seperately, then put them together. This model uses polycaps, so it does slide together nice. I have to tell you though, these 1/100 Valkyries are a bit on the fiddly side and they can tax your patience a little, but they can look nice when done. Fighter and Battroid modes look the best (although the upper arms don't rotate on this model like they do on the 1/72 kits, so posing the thing with the gun is a bit limited).

Nice paintwork on the pilot BTW getting a movie flightsuit appearance.

Edited by JMChladek

Thanks! :)

Great explanation! I didn't know that about the Transformers bit.

I thought of that with the rotation of the upper arms. It's possible to saw it apart and make it movable, but I think I'll let go, it's only a short time left on this GB.

Having done some stuff on other builds, it's time to get back to this one.

Cheers,

Håkan

Thanks! :)

Yes it's Roy Fockers Valkyrie.

It's been a while since I last updated, but I've been busy with other projects.

I've just put together some more parts, fitting and preparing for filler.

vf-1s_supervalkyrie_72nd_parts_1_640x480.JPG

Some parts like the nose, wings and body will soon be painted.

Cheers,

Håkan