Tomcat info: Details and Colours information

Hi Giorgio,

FS-36320-Aeromaster 1054 / Polly scale-F505374

FS-35237-Aeromaster 1058. Never had this in Polly scale.

LGG/FS36375-I haven't got any of these left, which caused a bit of a panic before I found Lifecolour!

Sorry it's not a complete list, I'm pretty sure you can't get these now. Would love to be wrong though.

Joel

For the prep of my build i made up a spreadsheet and trolled the net for gunze equivalents (building a hasegawa) i'm not sure if my research is 100% accurate but i'll post details when i get home.

It's geared toward vallejo paints, though if memory serves i think there's a few tamiya colours as well.

at my mode4l club some time ago, somebody came to do a talk with slide show on USN Carriers...]

the only consistent thing about the aircraft was the inconsistency of paint colour :)

most pics were taken at sea, with almost all aircraft showing heavy weathering and patchy paintwork where it had been touched up during the time at sea

so you could probably get away with a non-standard colour quite easily if modelling a weathered in-service aircraft

Any chance of adding the ordinance colours to this list?? I'm trying to work out it the misslies for an all over FS36440 Car are grey with white heads or white with grey heads, Fujimi instructions show later, BUT that's for a Grey over white cat!!

Phil

Any chance of adding the ordinance colours to this list?? I'm trying to work out it the misslies for an all over FS36440 Car are grey with white heads or white with grey heads, Fujimi instructions show later, BUT that's for a Grey over white cat!!

Phil

Ordnance colours are on my to-do list !

In the meantime I can tell you that depends on the version of the missile: for example sidewinders before the AIM-9L had white bodies, the L and later had grey FS 36375 bodies. The Sparrows and Phoenix went through similar variations.

Xtracolor's rendition of FS15237 is not very good in my experience. This is the lighter of the two greys on the top surface of Chilean F-16s, and the tin I used did not match my perception of what the colour should be, neither did it match the FS 595 fan deck - it was too light and green. Xtracrylics are made by a different manufacturer, and may be better, although I haven't got any experience with that colour.

Don't forget White Ensign Models' Colourcoats range (enamels) - my limited experience with them is that their paints are quite accurate, and they are a pleasure to use. They don't have FS25237 (all their paints are semi-gloss) unfortunately, but they have other relevant colours in the range:

Light Gull Grey - 26440 - AC US 01

Dark Gull Grey - 26231 - AC US 02

Light Ghost Grey - 26375 - AC US 03

Dark Ghost Grey - 26320 - AC US 04

Jens

Early Tomcats carried AIM-9G/H and these were white bodies and rear fins and dark metallic front fins and seeker heads. These had larger fins than the AIM-9B and E, but smaller than the later models. They were only used for a few years before the 9 Lima took over, but were carried during Frequent Wind in 1975 by VF-1 and 2.

Joel

Edited by Bandwagon 106

Does anyone have any photos of the VF-213 Black Lions jet featured in the new Revell 1:48 F-14D kit that shows it with the yellow test symbols on the Lantirn pylon?

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/rm/kit_rm_5527.shtml

The aircraft is NH100 Bureau Number 164348.

I am sure I have seen something at some point but no matter what searched I do, nothing comes up. Even on airliners.net and airfighters.com, the jet comes up but it either has different mobex numbers, with a different squadron or doesn't have any weapon pylons at all.

Hope someone has something.

Giorgio...

Great work.

Is there any chance of getting Tamiya paint in there aswell? Or would you recommend Humbrol? As those are the two paints I can choose from...

I'm not sure about any good tamiya match, I'll try and find some and hope to have some tamiya paints listed before you're at the painting stage ! Humbrol paints are good matches IMHO, if you can find these at least you have an option. Still, I know many people like Tamiya paints and are not happy with enamels...

I would also very much appreciate any information you can provide for the Tamiya acrylic range as in my neck of the woods they are the only decent acrylics I can get my hands on so i'm pretty much comitted to them in a big way.

Armitage

Hi mates,

Excellent reference material from Giorgio! Quite a bit of work that.

With respect to the Light Gull Gray used on the early Tomcats, I have always used a flat paint, i.e. FS36440 (the 3 denoting flat). I just think it looks better on the model, and I've built a ton of USN jets (not that that means anything). But I can tell you from my days when I used to visit the Grumman Calverton facility on Long Island back in the late 70s, new F-14s were painted in glossy Light Gull Gray, or FS16440 (the 1 denoting glossy). Those babies reflected the lights in the final assembly area like a shiny new car.

On the cover of the Hasegawa 1:72 F-14D 'VF-31 Last Tomcat" is a photo of the plane painted in the special livery for the last flight (even though it did not actually make the last flight). It's in the original Light Gull Gray over white scheme, and it's very obviously glossy.

It was only when they switched to the flat, low-visibility grays that the severe weathering starts to be noticed on birds that have been to sea. You know, that patchy effect we all strive to achieve on our F-18 models. The old glossy Gull Gray scheme held up very well at sea. After a while, the sheen was reduced (just like on my car since I never wash or wax it!).

By the way, Gunze makes a semigloss Light Gull Gray (FS26440) - it's H325.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Sorry for all of the incorrect spellings of "grey" - I was following US convention!

Edited by Navy Bird

I would also very much appreciate any information you can provide for the Tamiya acrylic range as in my neck of the woods they are the only decent acrylics I can get my hands on so i'm pretty much comitted to them in a big way.

Armitage

The following link is to IPMS Stockhom, and their chart that shows the closest Humbrol and FS matches to Tamiya Acrylic paints. I don't use Tamiya paints, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of this chart.

Tamiya Equivalents

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Bill

Great idea this Giorgio - very helpful!

If anyone also had colour matches for Revell Aqua Colour Acrylics too (without mixing them like Revell suggest), would be great.

Many thanks in advance...

Dermot

Hi Dermot,

This chart from IPMS Stockhom lists the Humbrol equivalents to the Revell colours. I don't use either of these paints (not easy to find in the US if at all) so I can't vouch for the accuracy. Unfortunately there are no FS equivalents here, but you should be able to go from Revell to Humbrol and then to FS.

Revell - Humbrol Conversion Chart

This chart converts Revell paints to RAL numbers and Testors equivalents:

Revell - Testors Conversion Chart

Hope these help!

Cheers,

Bill

The following link is to IPMS Stockhom, and their chart that shows the closest Humbrol and FS matches to Tamiya Acrylic paints. I don't use Tamiya paints, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of this chart.

Tamiya Equivalents

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Bill

Thank you for that link Bill, I appreciate the help. It's a start in my quest to find the right colours amongst the 150 bottles of Tamiya acrylic I have! :)

Armitage