Tomcat info: Details and Colours information

After a lot of searching for Tamiya equivalents to FS colours and formulae for mixing the correct colours for my build, the best reference I managed to find was from a PDF document called MixTamiya.pdf. This document contains information from various sources such as Tamiya themselves, Model Art, and so on, and contains formulae for a few FS colours that may be of interest to the members of this GB. I have quoted the relevant ones below, and also provided a link to the PDF file itself for those that may need it for reference. Hopefully this will help others who are comitted to the Tamiya range of colours as I am -

FS 36231 Dark Gull Gray

Aircraft: United States From: Model Art 236 - (F-15)

XF24 - DARK GREY:11

XF20 - MEDIUM GREY: 9

FS 36440 Light Gull Grey

Aircraft: United States From: Tamiya Kit 61034: F4F Wildcat

FS36440, ANA 620, or BS495. Used on lower surfaces of all USN/USMC aircraft 1940-

1942. Ref: Official Monogram US Navy & Marine Corps Aircraft Color Guide.

XF19 - SKY GREY: 2 XF2 - FLAT WHITE: 1

FS 36320 Dark Ghost Gray

XF66 - LIGHT GREY: 11

XF2 - FLAT WHITE: 7

XF24 - DARK GREY: 2

FS 36375 Light Ghost Gray

XF2 - FLAT WHITE: 15

XF24 - DARK GREY: 3

XF66 - LIGHT GREY: 2

The original PDF document may be found at http://www.ipmsnymburk.com/tamiya%20mixing/MixTamiya.pdf

Wayne

How about the wing seals ( partsA1/2 and A10/11)? Are they a specific colour or is it like what F-16 radomes do and can be any shade of grey depending on age, enviornment etc? I've used, gunship grey, dark gull, dark ghost, ADC aircraft grey...

Joel

How about the wing seals ( partsA1/2 and A10/11)? Are they a specific colour or is it like what F-16 radomes do and can be any shade of grey depending on age, enviornment etc? I've used, gunship grey, dark gull, dark ghost, ADC aircraft grey...

Joel

Good question ! My understanding is that at least initially they were in a colour similar to dark gull grey FS 36231, however being in a kind of rubber means that they can get darker... although I've seen a few plates lighter than 36231.

Thanks Giorgio. One of those items that changes shade with wear. FWIW, instructions for the Hasegawa Kits say H75-Dark Sea grey (so I'm completely off with that last one I mentioned :banghead: - repaint-yes I did it with mine today!)

Joel

Not having an airbrush myself so mixing colours isn't really an option if I want to have a uniform coat and I don't fancy brush painting the whole lot, so rattle cans are my best option- what are people's opinions on using TS-81 as a base colour? Admittedly it's not an exact match, but would it be close enough not to really notice that much?

Failing that, it's a trip to Halfords to get myself a custom mix

Not having an airbrush myself so mixing colours isn't really an option if I want to have a uniform coat and I don't fancy brush painting the whole lot, so rattle cans are my best option- what are people's opinions on using TS-81 as a base colour? Admittedly it's not an exact match, but would it be close enough not to really notice that much?

Failing that, it's a trip to Halfords to get myself a custom mix

Not sure, never used tamiya rattle cans. Judging from the pictures I've seen it doesn't look far from grey 36440, maybe it's a bit darker. Sure is cheaper than having halfords mix the colour for you. Guess trying on a bit of scrap plastic is the only way to know for sure

There are a few other options: one is to look if any DIY shop has cans matched to the RAL or BS standards. Using these i would be easier to find a colour similar to the one you need.

The other is to brush paint using lifecolor acylics. These are very good for brushpainting and leave very few marks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gents-

If you haven't seen my Tomcats 101 article, have a look here:

Tomcats 101

I took each variant of the F-14 and broken it down in a simple format so anyone can follow it.

Giorgio has posted some good solid information regarding the color schemes, but I should mention that a lot of how a squadron would apply the TPS scheme would vary from squadron to squadron.

VF-103 had a very unique version of how they applied the TPS scheme to their tomcats for example. The Lt Ghot gray that would typically be seen going all the way to the tip of the nose was curved just fwd of the TCS chin pod on VF-103's jets. The only exception was Vic 107, and that jet had been a transfer from VF-101 just before the squadron left to go on their final tomcat cruise.

Also, the LTS or LANTIRN pods were 36118 as Giorgio mentioned when tomcat squadrons first started getting them, but by the end of the F-14's career, they were mulit-colored with 36118 parts and 36375 parts.

I've posted several pics of the pods in my article, and I hope you guys find it useful.

Here's a hot of a VF-103 F-14B taken by CPT Dana Potts former CAG of CVW-17 showing Vic 110 with the overall 36375 pod.

OmedDontLookattheCamera.jpg

Edited by Vagabond Decals Brian

Brian, thanks for the information and the corrections ! Glad to have you around here, hope you'll keep following our group build and keep giving us tips on the Tomcat.

Your comment on the different interpretations of the TPS from the various units is also very interesting. And reminds me that the original Jolly Rogers of VF-84 had another unique scheme, where the 35237 blue-grey was carried very low on the front fuselage, almost half way down.

For a modeller the TPS is a minefield, sometimes it's very hard to identify the colour demarcations and there have been plenty of variations

Brian, thanks for the information and the corrections ! Glad to have you around here, hope you'll keep following our group build and keep giving us tips on the Tomcat.

Your comment on the different interpretations of the TPS from the various units is also very interesting. And reminds me that the original Jolly Rogers of VF-84 had another unique scheme, where the 35237 blue-grey was carried very low on the front fuselage, almost half way down.

For a modeller the TPS is a minefield, sometimes it's very hard to identify the colour demarcations and there have been plenty of variations

Glad to be here, thanks!

Right you are about the TPS being a minefield..being a decal manufacturer myself makes me really look at that kind of thing closely. When I was running VF-Decals, I made more calls to Oceana than I care to mention..lol. Fortunately, I had a lot of great contacts within the paint shops who really went out of their way to help out.

You should have been with me when I was out shooting VF-31 and VF-213's tomcats after the final combat cruise. VF-31 had invited me to come out and document their tomcats, and I spent 3 days taking walk arounds. VF-31's TPS schemes were pretty simple, but VF-213 was an entirely different story..lol. Every jet they had was something different. The only thing consistant about 213's line jets was they all had the same 35237 skunk stripe that stretched from the nose and stopped at the panel just behind the GPS dome. The back end of the skunk stripe was squared off, which was unique only to VF-213's tomcats.

Yes you are correct! I can't recall what year it was, maybe around 1991-1993, VF-84 had a very unique TPS scheme. The 35237 stretched down to the middle of the fwd fuselage and had a hard edged demarcation line, while the rest of the aircraft had soft edges between the colors.

According to the Afterburner decals I have for VF-84, there are two a/c with this non-standard scheme-Vic 207 from 1984(!) and Vic 200 from 1986-this is one TPS even I would do! Then there is the 1991 CAG from VF-84 in overall 35237 (according to the instructions anyway) with the white not yellow....A lot of variations even in squadrons, which is a good thing. Thanks for the help Brian, really appreciate all the work (and the decals too!) you put into documenting these great fighters.

Joel

Thanks for the help Brian, really appreciate all the work (and the decals too!) you put into documenting these great fighters.

Joel

You guys are more than welcome!

quick question what are the external differneces between a A and D, the reason i ask is that ive been given some sundowners decals to replace the crappy revell ones but they are for a A so can it be done?

You could do it as an "almost happened", as VF-111 were going to become one of the first 4 fleet squadrons to get the D just before The Cold War ended and the powers that be cut back D production and conversion. The engines, chin pod, cockpit are all different, the biggest one would be the engines and the fairings near the nozzles- the D has the GE F-110 (like in some F-16s) while the A has TF-30s. Lots of other differences too, but a Sundowner D would look cool...

Joel

You could do it as an "almost happened", as VF-111 were going to become one of the first 4 fleet squadrons to get the D just before The Cold War ended and the powers that be cut back D production and conversion. The engines, chin pod, cockpit are all different, the biggest one would be the engines and the fairings near the nozzles- the D has the GE F-110 (like in some F-16s) while the A has TF-30s. Lots of other differences too, but a Sundowner D would look cool...

Joel

thanks Joel

hmm decisions decisions

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Can anyone point me toward a close-up of the FOD covers used on Tomcats please? Both intake variety and the burner can covers. My search on the net has so far shown up nothing closer than a distant view

Thanks in advance

Andy

EDIT: Forget I asked - I've found what I needed!

Edited by AndyC