Group Build Chat

I'd really like to play on this one, but not sure if I would get a finished Cat at the end?

Got a Hasegawa 1/48th waiting with all the bits in the stash.

But this GB sure looks fun :D

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Hi to the crew! Looks like moat are off to a good start so far! Thanks to modern technolog(wi-fi and a smart phone) I'll be able to keep up with most of this GB from afar! Just about finished reading my OIF Tomcat Osprey book, really fantastic for all info on that period(even clears up why some Tomcats flew with IFR probe covers removed).

Hope you all are enjoying your builds, just 48 days 'till I'll be back on deck to start my VF-74 F-14A+.

Parabat.

If I can get my current GB project finished in time I might try and do something a bit more down to earth compared to some of the monster tour de force builds in the wip thread at the moment with the revell 1:144 offering.

Has anyone built one and is it worth the plastic it's moulded in?

Not too keen on the black paint job are there any aftermarket decals in 1:144?

Edited by Neal

Just about finished reading my OIF Tomcat Osprey book, really fantastic for all info on that period(even clears up why some Tomcats flew with IFR probe covers removed).

Parabat.

Yes, the doors where prone to damage when using the KC-135 basket. Interesting to read that they like our Tristar (RAF) the best for refueling.

I've got the Wolfpack door/probe set for my project.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Can I have "Gipsy" as callsign ? This would probably not have been used by a real pilot as it was the callsign for VF-32 tomcats, but I like it and has a small history: having lived in a few different countries before, one day Dad asked me "will you ever settle down or will you keep moving around as a gipsy ?" :lol:

If I can get my current GB project finished in time I might try and do something a bit more down to earth compared to some of the monster tour de force builds in the wip thread at the moment with the revell 1:144 offering.

Has anyone built one and is it worth the plastic it's moulded in?

Not too keen on the black paint job are there any aftermarket decals in 1:144?

The revell 1/144 kit is lovely, go for it and you woun't be disappointed.

I believe FCM does 1/144 decals for the tomcat, have a look at their website !

Yes, the doors where prone to damage when using the KC-135 basket.

For the same reason the iranian tomcats were delivered with the doors detached (iran used a version of the Boeing 707 for IFR, complete with a KC-135 style boom). The doors were actually delivered and iranian tomcats can be seen with or without doors.

As above the 1/144th kits look great and I am being tempted to join another GB (how I could avoid an F14 of some size would have surprised me) Hannants had 3 revell kits yesterday, the black one, an F14A (already on here, jolly rogers I believe) and an F14D (Grim Reapers). I think I'll give the D a go as the A model is already being done. All 3 were in good stock and £4.50 each. And I'll watch the 48ths going together and make notes for a later project. When a lot younger had the pleasure of watching 6 of these fly into Yeovilton in three pairs wings back breaking over the airfield and setting off all the car alarms by the old FRADU hangers, an awesome sight and sound.

I am going to go with 'Quantum'...

No rhyme or reason really, slightly work-related but also enigmatic (!)...now my home PC has been to the doc's I might even be able to put up my first post in this GB tonight!

Andy (Quantum)

Can a propose a change to the rules to make it mandatory to listen to Top Gun Original Soundtrack whilst working on models for this Group Build ? :D

Right, I'm off to browse Cutting Edge by C J Heatley III (great F-14 pics) to get inspiration before I start building, Kenny Loggins on standby ....

Edited by cjhm