Group Build Chat

This is the place for chatting about the GB

And here we go......

Not long now...... yey!!!!

Are you guys willing to share your plans? Or are the kept close to your heart?

I am going to build a 1/48 VF-31 "Tomcatters" from 2006. Not yet sure if it will be one of AJ-100 thru AJ-103 or AJ-111 "Christine"

If time willing I will make a 1/72 one of VF-31 aswell....

I have a few things for Tomcats lying around if someone might need the bits....

It's nearly time! :partytime:

I would quite like to make maybe 3 'cats (time, work and life permitting!!)

No idea what all three will be, but my first is definitely a VF-84 Jolly Rogers machine, with a bit of a twist! Hi-viz, retro skull and crossbones!

Cheers

Dave

I'm sure it will be a hasegawa 1/72 kit but have yet to decide the subject. The most likely will be a VF-21 F-14A using the box dedicated to the squadron. The very first type of markings (with the black extending over the radome) is really tempting !

Once I have finished my Mustang for that GB, I will be building the 1/48 Academy Bombcat. I have the Fightertown sheet for VF-211 and intend to do the Operation Enduring Freedom scheme.

I will build this for the GB:

vf154micio.jpg

a VF-154 Bird, in two tone of grey; i love black tails and fuel tank!! I start from the Hobbyboss kit in 48th scale and i will use some aftermarket bits: nozzles, cockpit from Aires, seat from Verlinden, eduard p.e. part for the exterior, and the decal sheet from CAM decals!!!! I hope to finish this GB!!

ciao

Ale

I'm in with an Academy F14A Bombcat which will be done in the "Black Knights" CAG scheme OOB.

I too hope to actually finish this GB, as i've entered 2 GB's here on BM and never got close to finishing them due to RL pressures. This time i'm not going to let myself be dragged away again, not even kicking ad screaming! :)

Wayne

see what happens when you go away from the real world and get festive, doing festive things?

mysterious events happen in group builds.......well it's ALMOST time.....I'll let you open your boxes and dribble over your babies but no actual glue or anything close to it until the official start date.....

here's the carrier crew -

Kev1n

Arpie

Robw UK

wellzy

Giorgio N

Shiloh

mrvr6

Jasonb13

Deon

Happy Martian

DaveJL

Antony Robertson

Jabba

Alpha Delta 210

Hythe

muller

conehead

moofles

F32

Dermo245

AndyC

Robert

Saintsphil

Bandwagon 106

RNoAF Aerobatic...

sd01822

Parabat

Irishgreek

Metallicus

TonyGol

PhartycrOc

Navy Bird

arnobiz

omegaman

Kiwiboy

Goose

Charlie

Tim T

Andymullen

M4rk

Zhaith

Rabspat

Robvulcan

Sabre Days

Jenshb (if he finishes it )

Ale85

Thys

Wayne

theplasticsurgeon

Danny

Hardtarget

...and having returned to the real world ( :( ) I'm off to do some work.......back later....

Edited by kev1n

I'll let you open your boxes and dribble over your babies but no actual glue or anything close to it until the official start date.....

I find that makes the decals all mushy and crinkly, but don't let that stop you. Drool away! :)

I've added Wayne but thyere is always room for more...

Thanks kev1n. :)

Wayne

Edited by Wayne

fwiw I have three to build; an airfix version, an earlier hasagawa and a later hasagawa....

the plan is the afx will be oob, with the kit decals, and the other two, one will be from the movie, The Final Countdown, so it will be a Jolly Rogers aircraft, and the 3rd will be the Black Bunny

:)

...and I'm thinking the later hasagawa will be the most complicated build I have ever done.......

Edited by kev1n

Possibly theplasticsurgeon

Confirming that I will be with you for this one - and am looking forward to it.

I will be building this kit, as the other option.

Tomcat001.jpg

This one has markings with all the Tomcat clichés - which is reason enough for me.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon

I will be making a 1/72nd F-14AHasegawa kit using Modeldecal markings for an aircraft from VF-14 with a red/white/bule tail chevron on both the inner and outer tail surfaces from one of the Bicentennial schemes of 1976 applied by the squadron.

If everyone intereted manages to build at least one tomcat we'll have more here than any carrier ever had on the deck, way to go !!!!

I see some interesting decal choices coming, looking forward to see them. The tomcat was the last USN fighter to serve in the high visibility scheme and there are some really wild markings around. This is going to be a colourful GB !

Have several Hasegawa Tomcats, both in 1:48 and 1:72 - 1:72 is more likely to finish in three months than the 1:48 scale kit. Hoping to do VF-33 with black tail and yellow lighting bolt along the fuselage, but will need to find a way to recreate the crew names in yellow. If that doesn't work, then VF-21 in the first scheme is an option, as is early VF-142 markings, VF-103 in tactical paint scheme or a VF-1 aircraft in Heater-Ferris camouflage.

Jens

Confirming that I will be with you for this one - and am looking forward to it.

I will be building this kit, as the other option.

Tomcat001.jpg

This one has markings with all the Tomcat clichés - which is reason enough for me.

Nice kit there plasticsurgeon! Have it myself, shamefully unfinished on the shelf of doom from a Tomcat GB last year that I failed miserably :( All my fault, not the kit BTW!

For this GB, I could only dig up this one in time (I think it's a re-pop of the Hasegawa kit with the raised panel lines).

Kits102.jpg

I thought about aftermarket cockpit and decals to breath new life into her but the previous GB experience still weighs on my modelling shoulders - really want to get finished in time, this time. So deep breath.............got this instead..

RevellF-14-144.jpg

This is totally out of my scale comfort zone and I can't believe the size of it but has got decent reviews apparently.

Have I inhaled too much glue & paint fumes over the Christmas holidays?? :wacko:

Cheers,

Dermot

The Plastic Surgeon is duly added.....

Have I inhaled too much glue & paint fumes over the Christmas holidays?? :wacko:

Cheers,

Dermot

didnt all we?.......I resmeble that merark........

To the carrier crew;

I am definitely in this GB, although I will be missing the start and first 8 weeks AND committed the sin of beginning a pre-GB build!

I am going to be building a 1:48 Hasegawa F-14A+ of VF-74 'Bedevilers' during Desert Storm 1991. Fightertown decals and some A/M weapons, otherwise OOB I think. Going to do an in-flight Tomcat a la DaveJL's Tomcat.

Wish you all the best for the beginning, I wish I was here to start with you.

Parabat

Edited by Parabat

here's the carrier crew -

(with callsigns)

Kev1n/Captain (aka 'Sir' or 'The One'.....I'll answer to any :) )

Arpie

Robw UK

wellzy

Giorgio N/Gypsy

Shiloh

mrvr6

Jasonb13

Deon

Happy Martian

DaveJL/Freezer

Antony Robertson

Jabba/Dumbo