Postwar target tug P-51D

Hi Wellzy, must say I hope to see the finished model myself soon...

Small progress this afternoon: after some tweaking I started printing the black decals using an unusual technique on an old laser printer.. well, looks like it's working, at least judging from the first bits on the tail:

P2283472.jpg

I'm also thinking of ways to print the yellow bolt. I don't really want to print it as one part on an inkjet. I might print the yellow and the black edge separately (the yellow on white paper, the edge on clear), as this would make cutting the part easier (if the yellow is not cut perfect, the black edge will mask the error.

However I'm now inclined toward cutting a template and using this to cut some yellow decal sheet I bought a couple of days ago. I'll then still print thr black edge separately and overlay this on the yellow part. Any thought anyone ?

Edited by Giorgio N

Very small progress: I tried different ways to make the yellow bolts and in the end managed to do them. Must say I'm not too happy because the decals ended up being quite thick... next time I'll just mask and spray the bolts !

Anyway, here's the model with some more decals added... the bolts may be thick and parts of them distorted on this side (the other is better), but the splash of colour on the model looks great !

P3033474.jpg

Next step will be to print the bolts black edge and add this to the rest (yes, the bolts have an edge but this is narrower than the final one, is just there to help cutting the yellow part. Then it will be time for the fuselage insignia and the last codes.

In the meantime I've also painted all the small bits to be attached at the end... I should finish this in time, although it's likely it will completed at the very end of the time allowed....

And so it was that the day before the end of the GB disaster struck ! I had corrected the bolt behind the canopy (the originals didn't look right and I found I had made a mistake and had touched up the black edging. Fuselage stars were on and it was then time to insert the exhausts when I realised that the exhausts were not where they were supposed to be ! I moved everything from the bench looking for those two bits but to no avail. Still no trace anywhere of the exhausts. I now believe that they ended in the bin last week while I was throwing some surplus sprue.

So at this point I have 3 options:

1) buy another italeri kit and clone these parts in resin (and finish the other kit as another colourful mustang, as I enjoied making these decals)

2) ask here if anyone has a couple of spare shrouded exhaust assemblies

3) scratchbuild the missing parts.

Whatever the option, the model is unlikely to be completed by tomorrow, so I might or might not add more pictures. It will end up in the general Read for Inspection section when finished.

Option 1 would not be a problem if only the Italeri kit was a god one ! As it involved a lot of work that I feel should not be necessary on a relative modern tooling, I'd rather wait and see how the new airfix kit will be like

Option 2 might work, but I will most probably try option 3... after all, the exhaust assembly should just be made of 6 tubes and a shroud, right ?

Time to go and drink something now, need to drown my modelling sorrows....

P.S. edited: of course there's always an option 4, that it seeing the exhausts reappearing as misteriously as they disappeared... I'm not going to bet on this though !

Edited by Giorgio N

Sorry folks, couldn't finish the model in the end ! I tried to scratchbuild one exhaust block with no good result, so I'll try and see if anyone has a couple of spare exhausts. I'm very disappointed as I was hoping to finish this in time, and very annoyed because I wanted to show off the great colour scheme applied.... I'll post the finished model at some point when I'll find suitable exhausts.