Tamiya color loss

leecarden

Hi folks wonder if anyone can help

Just airbrushed a tank with olive drab and the color has gone patchy

It was primed with Vallejo gray primer left to dry for a day then Tamiya acrylic olive drab

Air brushed on.

I used alcohol to thin it and the temp was about 12 c

Tried twice to respray but still a bit patchy

Any ideas?

Ta

Lee

Can you be more specific than 'patchy'?

Is it white and powdery looking? Or is it not covering?

When you resprayed it, was the 'patchy' paint in the same places?

I'm wondering if it's the thinner you've used. Alcahol is pretty harsh, and while usually fine with Tamiya paint it may be causing the paint to dry too quickly or something along those lines, hard to know without having a better idea of what the fault is.

Have you any Tamiya thinner you could try instead?

Edited by Phil

Looks like the alcohol has thinned some of the paint but not mixed well with the whole soloution giving it the patchy appearance when the unmixed alcohol passed through the airbrush.

I think you need to use a dedicated Acrylic thinner and not Alcohol.

What do others think?

I would agree with merlin if your using Tamiya paints thin with with Tamiya thinners a good tip is put the thinners into the paint cup first and then mix in the paint giving it a good stir round so its well mixed Ive never had any problems doing that way also there's something in the Tamiya thinners that stops it drying out to quickly maybe that's something that's happening with the alcohol way of thinning?.

Hope this helps a little

Nige

I've never used Tamiya thinners to thin Tamiya Paint, I always use Mr Color thinners or alcohol and never had any trouble. When I first read this thread it was the name "Vallejo" that set the alarm bells ringing. Alcohol is pretty hot and Vallejo is tempermental and.delicate, you may have had a reaction between the two.

could be that the paint hadn't mixed properly.

I normally give the jars a shake and thats sufficient to mix the paint but after a while it will need a good stir to loosen the stuff at the bottom, that could be your problem.

I use Tamiya paint all the time and I tend to use alcohol if I want the paint to dry really quick, usually when spraying white or yellow.