Hase 1:48 Ki-43 I 'Oscar'

I would say that was a little racist even if meant in jest. It also used to be the case here that Japanese should not be refereed to as Japs that also went for any other nationality's name being shortened to a colloquial term being used , however I haven't seen the rule enforced much recently. :(

I don't want to derail this thread so please lets not start a discussion here.

Meant in jest...nuff said.

I sort of walked into that with the first bog photo didn't I?........oops!!

It's a summary of the WW2 pic's I found, some imagination and ease of construction.

The field shower is also subject to some imagination but is reasonably accurate compared to a picture I found that is actually a Japanese temporary shower.

Quick pic:-

100_3747.jpg

Planning the layout now, I'll post a pic of how I'm intending to arrange it tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for the continued support and ideas, I really appreciate it.

more soon,

Si.

Hi all,

I've been having a play with the layout a bit and settled on something like the pics below.

If anyone wants to suggest moving stuff etc, let me know, it will be a few days before I commit to plastering the landscape.

Few pics:-

100_3749.jpg

100_3750.jpg

100_3751.jpg

Due to the generosity of one of the sites top members I now have a Tamiya Japanese Kurogane 4x4. It arrived totally by surprise today and has left me lost for words!

This will be displayed on the road/track which will take up the full front 2 to 3 inches of the base, possibly delivering some goodies to the men!

More soon,

Si.

That's looking pretty cool. I particularly like the guy with the clipboard who seems to be inspecting all the different parts you've been making.

Only thought with regards to layout is that the generator looks a little bit lost out on its own away from the things it would be powering. Other than that one thought, it looks superb!

Brilliant Si....I think I would move the tent to another position ..away from the prop wash!!...as long as its no where near the Thunder box!!! :P .....it is difficult because of lack of space...But I know your sort it out mate!

I would be inclined to have some of the stuff at different angles. As you have it laid out it looks a bit too parade ground to me.

Martin

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ya see, THAT'S what I mean about entertainment in a thread!

When I saw that guy on the crapper I like Foz and the rest here just burst out laughing!!! Looks like the guy with the papers is resupplying!

Nice, but not wanting to sound like I know about the toiletry habits of the Japanese. I thought it was only in recent times that the WC was introduced? I though their toilets where more of the squat over a hole in the ground affairs? Of course I nay be totally wrong.
Oh bloody hell Si!!.....the pic of the figure taking a dump!!! :lol: ...I nearly fell off my seat!!....if any one other than modellers came across this blog they would think that there was something desperately wrong with us!! :lol: ...are you going to put the "thunder box on" your diorama? :lol: ....too much information!! :lol: ...and as for every one chipping in with info about the Japanese bowel habits is simply bizarre! :lol: ...I'm still laughing as I write this!! :lol: does any one else think this is hilarious or have I lost the plot when it comes to model making? :lol:

.................but ....however strange I find this Si...it certainly looks like a shitter!!! :shit:

Couldn't agree more mate! :lol:

Great stuff Si!

That's looking pretty cool. I particularly like the guy with the clipboard who seems to be inspecting all the different parts you've been making.

Only thought with regards to layout is that the generator looks a little bit lost out on its own away from the things it would be powering. Other than that one thought, it looks superb!

Thanks Al, I've done some re-arranging and taken that into consideration, its now near the radio plus I'll be stringing a long wire up for it along the whole back length.

Brilliant Si....I think I would move the tent to another position ..away from the prop wash!!...as long as its no where near the Thunder box!!! :P .....it is difficult because of lack of space...But I know your sort it out mate!

I was thinking that the 'dozer would push and pull the aircraft out from the maintence area although everyone likes to see a portaloo blown over with someone in......hummmm I think I'll pass on detailing that but it would be funny for another time!!

I would be inclined to have some of the stuff at different angles. As you have it laid out it looks a bit too parade ground to me.

Martin

Good advice,

Don't forget track and tyre marks when you do the ground work.

Martin

and again, these are the things I tend to forget, and not having done this before I need the help!

Maybe bring the plane forward and left, then spread out the other stuff around the back right corner more, with your planned road as the front right corner? Smashing work, BTW, and hilarious en route...

I've had a go at doing that and I like it much better, thanks for the advise and comments!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ya see, THAT'S what I mean about entertainment in a thread!

When I saw that guy on the crapper I like Foz and the rest here just burst out laughing!!! Looks like the guy with the papers is resupplying!

Couldn't agree more mate! :lol:

Great stuff Si!

Cheers Nobby, there were other figures I could have chosen but he looked like he needed to get a load of his mind!!

Many thanks everyone, as I said I need all the suggestions and help, steep learning curve this one!

Heres a couple of pics of a revised layout,

100_3754.jpg

100_3757.jpg

The real smoking camp fire will be near the bench with the bike, I'm mounting that and the MP3 player before I put plaster and stuff all over the place.

I'm happier with that but still up for suggestions and there's still a nice little 4x4 to go at the front near the bike !

Si.

Don't forget the washing line! Be sad to see this one ending as its been entertaining all the way along.

It's still got a way to go yet Tank, loads of messy stuff to come and I will remember the washing line!

That layout looks much better. Alhtough would they have a fire that close to the aircraft with potentially flammable fuel about?

Cheers Al, that was the old position for the fire, its now between the bike bench and the shower thing, I hope it will be ok there !

A little progress, mainly with the little 4x4 car.

Also re-made the deck for the Oscar, and got the low back ground plastered up:-

100_3768.jpg

This little car is another gem from Tamiya, loads of nice touches but I can't help but add a few more! I've drilled the exhaust, made a support bracket for it and straped the fuel tank on.

Added some control pedals and what I think is a fuel valve on the passenger side, also added the lever that I think lifts the front seats up. Also added some coil springs to the front as I'm going to angle the wheels so you should see them a bit!

A few pics:-

100_3766.jpg

100_3772.jpg

100_3773.jpg

I'm going to have a bash at mixing some sand and dirt into a nice mess with some plaster to see if that will give me a textured base to set some track marks in. I've read loads of stuff on mixing stuff up for dio's and I'll just keep trying until I get something that works for me, more soon!

Si.

Cool. I did not know it was going to be this big...thats cool. I like that car.

Dont forget to drill holes all over your base floor before your pour your ground so that the ground/paste/dirt/sand can attach and stay in place.

Good luck my friend , its looking sweet.

Oliver

Don't forget the washing line! Be sad to see this one ending as its been entertaining all the way along.

So will I but I suspect Si has something up his sleeve to keep us entertained with. Please say you have Si! Great start on the Kurogane, it looks a great little kit in its own right.

Martin

Great Progress Si...like the little car.....If I can put my two pence worth in....I use any old interior filler (tetrion) bought from B&Q for the use of texture for dioramas...when its set.....paint it!! ;)

Looking great mate and I like the car as well. I think some palm type trees would look good as well. I think I'd move the bog over to the left hand top corner as well, the poor guys in the tent wouldn't want the stench! I still don't know how you do all this great stuff in so little time though! Brilliant!

Cool. I did not know it was going to be this big...thats cool. I like that car.

Dont forget to drill holes all over your base floor before your pour your ground so that the ground/paste/dirt/sand can attach and stay in place.

Good luck my friend , its looking sweet.

Oliver

Cheers Oliver, I also didn't think it would end up this big and heavy!!

So will I but I suspect Si has something up his sleeve to keep us entertained with. Please say you have Si! Great start on the Kurogane, it looks a great little kit in its own right.

Martin

That Kurogane is a proper gem along with the G40, I may end up doing some more vehicles after this if I can get the weathering right.

I have one or two ideas for after this, probably a nice relaxing OOB, simple..........no it will probably be something daft! After the sad failure of the U/C motor I really fancy a proper go at a mechanical challenge, something in 32nd perhaps!!

Great Progress Si...like the little car.....If I can put my two pence worth in....I use any old interior filler (tetrion) bought from B&Q for the use of texture for dioramas...when its set.....paint it!! ;)

Thanks Fozz', I had a nosey under the stairs and found some finishing filler, perfect! Also found some sand coloured textured paint which looks like it will be very handy!

Nice layout Si, looks great

Thanks Mish.

Looking great mate and I like the car as well. I think some palm type trees would look good as well. I think I'd move the bog over to the left hand top corner as well, the poor guys in the tent wouldn't want the stench! I still don't know how you do all this great stuff in so little time though! Brilliant!

Cheers Nobby! I'm not sure how to make a convincing palm tree, I have looked into it but might pass this time. I'll try and get the thunder-pot as far from the tent as poss!

Some progress with the ground work today. As I've said previously, this is the first time I've done anything like this so I have fingers crossed that it will come out ok once it has some paint on it.

What I've done so far is cover the base with plaster bandage, probably didn't need to cover it all but it gives a very solid base for the filler and stuff. Under the bandage at the back are some bits of polystyrene packing cut up to give some profile as this is supposed to be all dozered' back for the clearing so will be piled up soil/sand. Directly in front of that will be some "logs" staked in place to keep the soil/sand bank back. On top and up the back I'll just fill with a combination of model railway, real and scratched foliage.

The piece of bark stuck near the bog & shower will be painted as a rock face, I've had this bit of bark for ages and that was the initial reason for this dio', I thought "This looks interesting, maybe it'll go in a dio' !"

The plaster bandage cured overnight so I got busy with the filler and made up the roadway bit at the front with some track marks, then moved on to trying to texture the filler for the various areas separately. It's hard to see the results as my photography is still pants but you should get the idea from the pics'. I covered the 'dozers tracks with clingfilm and pushed it gently into the filler after about half an hour after it was spread.

Enough waffle, some pics:-

100_3791.jpg

100_3788.jpg

100_3787.jpg

Here's the little car on a tiny dio', well it sat on top of the textured spray I'm going to use!

I gave some serious thought to detailing the engine of the car before Martin mensions it, (cos' he will :P ) but I'm going to settle for a wheel off and a mechanic fiddling with something on the hub. Reason being I wanted to show the wheels at an angle but there's so much detail on the suspension it would have been a big job to do well and I left it too late in the build. A wheel off will show off the coil spring anyway!

100_3774.jpg

100_3777.jpg

The car is all dry-fitted so far, another excellent fitting kit from Tamiya!

More tomorrow 'cos that's how long this stuff takes to dry !

Si.

Edited by Dr.Jellyfingers