Sara and the chainmail bikini (finished a year later!)

Kallisti

I think I can safely say this will be the first time I can legitimately get away with the phrase:

"She's a very well put together lady!"

DSCF5052.JPG

She went together with care but without any real drama. It was a case of continual dry-fitting and trimming the vinyl from the inside of joints to thin the walls so they sat well together. This was particularly important on the torso joint which is around the chain of the bikini. Some of the links are intended to hang down onto the lower part of the torso so the vinyl there had to be thinned down quite drastically.

The shoulder joints were tricky because once you have the upper torso attached, you've got very little "wiggle" room to get the arms to fit since the hands they attach to are moulded on the thighs! There is a small amount of Mr Dissolved Putty to fill the joints, this was particularly useful as it was possible to drip a tiny amount from a toothpick into the seam and encourage it to spread along the gap before it dried.

Once everything has dried out tomorrow, I'll "prime" her up and then we have the fun of painting - remember, I don't have an airbrush so this will be a hand job... I mean hand-painted...

Edited by Kallisti

The lady is primed and ready to go!

DSCF5066.JPG

DSCF5065.JPG

I'm pleased with the joints - the joins on her upper arms are not easily detectable as they've blended with the natural patterns in that area. The other joints are also pretty much invisible.

Now comes the bit I'm most nervous about - painting her without an airbrush! I've not plucked up the courage so far, mind you I've been a bit preoccupied with a certain Mustang build as well, but that is coming to a close soon so I'll be able to concentrate on her a bit more...

Edited by Kallisti

I made a start on Tuesday and managed to make a complete mess of the flesh paint - so she was soaked in some isopropyl alchohol last night and has been "stripped" this evening to start all over again! Oh well at least I didn't ruin her with alcohol! ;)

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days after I managed to ruin the paint. It was hard work stripping the paint and it hasn't been entirely 100% successful. I re-primed her yesterday and this has shown a large number of places where small spots of paint remained from before, usually in the nooks and crannies so I can't afford to make another mistake.

This makes me realise I can't do this with a brush, so I'm going to suspend work until I get an airbrush which should be sometime in the next couple of months. I'm expecting a minor windfall form my job sometime soon (company got bought by a bigger company and share options being converted into cash woot!) So once I have an airbrush I will feel much more confident about doing the lady justice.

In the meantime, I'm going to put the lizard on display on his own...

You could do it with a brush...a very soft one and put the colours on very thin..watery almost like the consistency of milk. You may have to do a couple of layers but you can alter colour tones as you go. The chain mail. looking at it I´d go for it like this, paint the areas where the mail is in darkgrey. Then use as before a very thin flesh wash that will settle among the chain links. When you´ve got the end skintone effect, drybrush the metal colour over the chainmail.

Not having the fig in front of me I can´t tell how pronounced the detail of the chainmail actually is but I´ve done similar on a 1/72nd retiarius and victim, and if this works for 20mm figs then it should work for her.

I'll go along with Paul with the painting,brushing will be fine.You may need to change the colour of the primer though-to either black or white,depending on skin tone you want.Choose a base colour for the skin (if you want a pale colour then go for a white primer,for a darker skin tone black might be better).As Paul says use a soft wide brush and put the paint on with thin coats-and it may take two or three to get a depth of colour.Then it's a case of adding more thin coats-washes really of differing shades to apply high and lowlights.By adding thin washes blending is easier trying to avoid steps or contours.There are various videos on youtube showing how to do this.I agree with Paul also on the chainmail,cover in skintone,then dry-brush.

HTH

MIke

Thanks for the ideas, but I did exactly that this time - I used very thin paint using a wide soft brush but I started with the wrong colour - I stupidly put the dark flesh tone on first then when I tried to go over it with the lighter tones they looked terrible, plus the very watery paint seemed to clog up all the delicate detail and it did not look good at all.

dry brushing the chainmail was going to be my solution as well.

My plan now will be after I get the airbrush, lay down the initial skintone with the airbrush in thin coats, possibly add some of the grosser contrasting tones again with thin coats to avoid the sharp contours and then return to the brush to finish off the highlights and lowlights with wash-like paint, then deal with the clothes using the brush.

Of course I'll have to get the airbrush and learn how to use it first, but that is doable :) I don't want to "ruin" Sara ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm pleased to say that today my birthday present to myself (the big day is on Saturday) arrived today in the form of an ACS-AS186 compressor and ACS-30 airbrush from here http://www.airbrushcompressorshop.co.uk/pr...-kit-ii-studio/ so once I teach myself how to use the airbrush, I can pick up where I left off earlier in the month after I almost ruined the poor girl by brush painting badly.

Is that a decent airbrush or simply a starter set? I think I'll need to do some reading about how to do this airbrushing lark :)

Edited by Kallisti

I'll say it's a starter set. Here (in Sweden) a decent/good airbrush cost about as much as you've paid for the whole package.

I think the airbrush will work fine to start learning airbrush techniques. I had one airbrush like that when I started.

Good luck with the new airbrush and compressor!

Cheers,

Håkan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

A year and a bit later, I'm finally going to call this complete!

During my clearing out to move the modelling stuff out to the shed, I found Sara left on the self (ahhhh poor girl) and decided it was time to - ahem - finish her off.

The last bit of progress made back in Feb 2012 was in the Big Scale Group build thread, in particular this post:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234912190-sara-and-the-chainmail-bikini-the-gb-thread/#entry972368

which shows the painting I'd got up to before she got shelved. What was wrong there were her eyes - they were too small and "piggy". I did get some advice about using Archer decals for the eyes and sourced some last year which have been sitting beside Sara waiting for me to find some interest. So today was the day! I used the smallest of the decals, trimming the top an bottom a little bit as you only ever see the whole pupil of the eye when someone drops ice down your back or you sit on a drawing pin! I then tidied up her face a bit, cleaning off some of the shading I'd done before that was frankly overdone - too much slap on her face!!!

I'm not sure her face has a huge amount of expression now, but I've decided that this is good enough. I've got another kit of Sara I picked up off eBay for next to nothing, plus another vinyl kit in the same range that I will have a go at one day. This was built for the chance to do something different and it was very interesting and was one of my first chance to use the airbrush last year.

Now since this lovely lady has a certain resemblance to my ever loving(hence why I made her brunette instead of blonde), I will rename this to Alina in her honour!

So may I present the delectable Alina - and friend...

DSCF7696.JPG

DSCF7698.JPG

I'm particularly happy with the face of the dragon, that came out exceptionally well I thought

DSCF7699.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

That's some very nice brush-work, indeed, Kallisti. Thank you for talking us through the process you used.

I bought the Verlinden 200 mm "Dungeon Master" at Scale Model World in Telford, UK over the last weekend and your build / paint has given me some great motivation to get started on it.

Thanks once again.

Chris.

Thanks Chris - I wish you luck. Compared to some of the figure painting skills displayed at Telford, this ranks as a bit amateur, although I'm pleased with the dragon, her poor face could be much better. I've actually got another one in my stash so one day I might try again :)

Be sure to show us your work!

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...