Hudson to Lodestar conversion?

CarLos

5 hours ago, modelldoc said:

Lockheed Hudson from Special Hobby / Revell and you have all parts for a Super Electra

@modelldoc Yes, done that one, and even the old Airfix Hudson turned into G-AFGL. That was a Labour of Love alright! 

A couple of us are looking at our Revell PV1 Ventura kits in 1.48 and pondering the prospects. 

And I'm currently working on the MPM Special hobby Lodestar in 1.72 which uses a lot of the Hudson parts. 

The concensus here seems to be that the old Academy Minicraft Ventura is the better fuselage shape depth-wise. 

• 4 months later...

I've just acquired a 1/48th resin Lodestar fuselage made in US by Fox 3 Studios.  Yeah I've never heard of them before either.  The fuselage is designed to be matched up with Classic Airframes Hudson kit.

The photo below shows fuselage comparison with Revell Ventura and Classic Airframes Hudson fuselage profiles.

49524099973_50a22723e8.jpgIMG_3530 by tankienz, on Flickr

And the against the plans posted earlier in this thread enlarged to 1/48th scale.  Note the window spacing.

IMG_3531.jpg

IMG_3532.jpg

There are some things to think about.

Edited by dcrfan
  • Like 2

Well, that is an unusual thing to do with the window distribution. 

Is there any surface details to indicate what they have in mind for the door or the little tail windows? 

Those front 2 holes are closer together. I'll keep a look out for anything like it, but I haven't heard of any variations in the Lodestar configuration 

US navy transport Lodestars were R50-1, R50-4, R50-5, R50-6, and the army had C56, C57, C59, C60 and C66. 

Both of forces often had vip versions of transports for top brass. Just thinking that there might be some variation in cabin layout and windows within these various marks, and your fuselage represents one of the "odd" types 

42 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Well, that is an unusual thing to do with the window distribution. 

Is there any surface details to indicate what they have in mind for the door or the little tail windows? 

Those front 2 holes are closer together. I'll keep a look out for anything like it, but I haven't heard of any variations in the Lodestar configuration 

The rear cabin door is represented in the correct place corresponding with the plans but the door is 3mm wider than the plan and has a flat top rather than the curve shown in the plan.  Actually it matches the door size and shape on the Classic Airframes Hudson model.

The small rear toilet windows are not represented on either side nor is the front cargo door. 

Edited by dcrfan
name

45 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

The flat top door hints at being a military version to me. And the slightly wider opening too. 

But I've found nothing so far to match the window layout 

Yes based on photographic evidence I've been able to confirm the door shape is correct for military Lodestars.

Could be this he was working on....? 

Can't make out the window distribution on the side though. 

NC 80601 Lodestar with Standard Oil just after the war 

Added.... 

There's additional information and correction further down that thread, showing the red and blue stripes are the other way round, 

887492_551966838286350_2396273678027449780_o

Based on this.... 

12079167_10205114256115866_8336552104309674515_n

The other thing is, I have a hunch that the engine in the picture is a P&W Twin Wasp, so different nacelles if that's the case? 

It's a very attractive scheme though 😍

Edited by rob Lyttle
Addition

I really am confused and seek your assistance.  I'm trying to figure out what to do with the wayward Lodestar side windows but things are not matching up as it appeares that the relationship between the cockpit and front of the wing root is wrong on the drawing or the resin fuselage.  I then compared the Classic Airframes Hudson, Revell Ventura and resin Loadstar with the drawing.  Both the Lodestar and Hudson appear to have the forward wing root way too far forward while the Ventura and drawing relationship match. 

49566890096_4432505597.jpgIMG_3537 by tankienz, on Flickr

I thought the cockpit/wing forward edge relationship was the same on these aircraft.  Is this incorrect?

Unless I'm missing something it looks like all of the windows on the resin Lodestar need to moved along with the wing root.  It may easier to just revert to plan A and convert the Ventura fuselage then at least I'm working in the same medium and it will be easier to cut new window openings in the much thinner fuselage walls.  Any ideas before I have to resort to strong drink.  🤪

46 minutes ago, dcrfan said:

I thought the cockpit/wing forward edge relationship was the same on these aircraft.

Yea, me too! 😬

I'm going to suggest getting the canopies out for a look, re the Hudson and Ventura. I guess you haven't got one for the resin fuselage?? 

Just that you're looking at the plastic moulding edges. 

Could it be that the transparencies make up the difference with surface that is ultimately painted and blended to the fuselage side, and the clear window panes are brought forward into the same position? 

I've never worked with resin. Can't say that I fancy trying it either. 

46 minutes ago, dcrfan said:

and convert the Ventura fuselage

There's a couple of us thinking along the same lines. 

I made a start a little while ago, just with the windows and turret placement blank. 

IMG_20200221_233105

IMG_20200221_233200

But that's where I'm stopped for the moment. 

42 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Yea, me too! 😬

I'm going to suggest getting the canopies out for a look, re the Hudson and Ventura. I guess you haven't got one for the resin fuselage?? 

Just that you're looking at the plastic moulding edges. 

Could it be that the transparencies make up the difference with surface that is ultimately painted and blended to the fuselage side, and the clear window panes are brought forward into the same position? 

I've never worked with resin. Can't say that I fancy trying it either. 

There's a couple of us thinking along the same lines. 

I made a start a little while ago, just with the windows and turret placement blank. 

Hey great progress on Vent > star.

I had not compared the canopies. They are different size length and width but just appear different interpretations or base plans as the windows/frames represent the same design.  There are no additional surrounds on either canopy so wing location still appears to be wrong somewhere.  If only the nearest Lodestar wasn't such a long drive from where I live.