Moebius 1-4105 Battlestar Galactica

Jasonb13

Hi Jasonb,

Kind of reminds me of your first question to me on page one, slow and steady my friend but certaily worth the effort.

You may see what I meant , when I said, I had wish I put full lighting into this beastie to compliment the decals by now? It will look fantastic, and yes, I'm still have not finished mine yet?

I thought the base grey may have looked a bit to dark for the decals which is why I went for a darkish Aluminium base, But your ship is looking very nice indeed my friend, how did you find the decals settle by the way? I only say that, because mine had no adesion at all, hence my PVA mix which solved my issue very early on?

By the way, apologies to all, I hope to be posting pics of my various builds here very soon indeed.

Keep up the fracking good work dude.

Cheers

Thanks everyone!

I've found the decals are fine really. They're quite thin, which is good in some ways, but it does mean they can easily fold or tear. And sometimes, when I'm scoring along the panel lines after I've put the decals on, they can lift a bit, but once they're dry they're fine, and I'm using lots of MicroSol!

Got all of the rib decals on the above piece done this evening, and I think it looks pretty decent. I got into a rhythm, and can get about 35 decals done an hour. There's now 92 decals on that piece alone, and I still have to do the bottom of it! :)

J.

Thanks everyone...

Yep, I'm just going to keep plugging away at it. If I can get to do some each evening ( and more at the weekends ), I reckon I'll have it done in about 3 weeks, which should hopefully give me time to get the rest done before this GB ends! :)

I've got the 'Upper Head' completely done now, starting the 'Lower Head' this evening...

J.

Just thought I'd throw up a couple of pics. Both 'halves' of the head are now done, so that's the first 260 decals done! It's not too bad, a couple of hours each evening. Doing it in managable blocks, sections of a piece at a time, makes it feel a lot less daunting then looking at the whole job in one go!

Next up is the lower engines ( the smaller ones ), and then the bigger ones after that.

J.

Head1.jpg

Head2.jpg

Head3.jpg

I think it's worth the effort :) Having looked over the kit in the box, I think it could well look a bit simplistic if you don't add some panels & detail to it somehow. Decals seem to be working well for you, as you say - it's just time. Keep it up ;)

Looking great so far Jason! Brilliant job with the decals!

I see now why it wouldn't have worked so well with decals first.

Cheers,

HÃ¥kan

Been silently following this since it`s inception, & i`m REALLY tempted with one.

But reality prevailed, & i`ll just bask in the glory of your's..... :tease:

just stay on target, & it`ll all be done before ya know it!!

(or Easter, as we call it....)

Thanks everyone!

I'm pretty happy with it so far. I haven't really been able to get decent pictures of how it looks, as I'm working at night and the light I use kinda washes a lot of it out. At some stage I'll get some good daylight pictures. Also, using a macro lens up close like that shows lots of errors as well, whereas I'm focusing on the 'looks good from a distance' angle!

The sheer quantity of the decals hasn't really got to me yet. Like I said, doing it in small sections makes it a lot easier. I reckon it'll be another 2-3 weeks, give or take. So I'll see how I feel about it after that!

I've started on the engines, but can't make up my mind whether to use all the decals or not. There are solid Grey decals to go around the engine exhaust itself ( you can see 4 of them on the right hand side of the left decal sheet in the pic below ) :

Decals.jpg

However, the engine exhausts have lines all the way around them, which I quite like, and I doubt the decals will sit into every single one ( you can see those in this pic, the exhausts are the last sections on each piece, on the right ) :

Polish2.jpg

So basically, either I put on the decal and I think it won't sit into the lines properly and the whole section will look a bit smooth and uniform, and I can see the decals tearing / folding as I try to get them into each line. Or I leave it as it is, with the lines and the shoe-polish look, but it'll probably look lighter in colour than the rest of the ship!

Any suggestions? Thanks!

J.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking myself Mish. Just leave the decals off and put on my usual Badab Black wash instead, just on those exhaust parts. It should be easier and should look better too. In theory anyhow! :)

J.

Well, I gave a wash of Badab Black on the engine exhausts a go, telling myself that if I didn't like it I could still put the decals over it. But to be honest, I'm rather happy with it! It really makes those 'grooves' stand out more, and Badab Black has a kind of oily look to it that's perfect for the Galactica. So that's that decision made, thanks for the suggestion Mish!

Yep Smiffy, I think they really do bring it to a different level. Obviously there's a lot of work involved, but hopefully it's worth it. One thing, you can get Armour Only or Deluxe ( Ribs ) decals. The Armour ones look great, but I felt, once I'd put them on, that it made the sections between the ribs look rather bare and plain in comparison, so if you have the money and time, I'd go with the Deluxe set! :)

J.

Pottering away at this. To be fair, it's actually going quicker than I thought it would, and I've the two smaller engines and one of the larger engines done. I'll get the last engine done tomorrow, and that *just* leaves the flights pods and main hull ( which admittedly are the biggest sections ).

Thought I'd put up a pic showing the smaller engines and the wash I did on the exhausts. The pic is a bit dark, but it shows it better than my normal washed out pics. Thanks for looking...

J.

Engines1.jpg

Hey Ray...

Yep, I think they are what you say ( continuous printed ) in that the decals don't have individual carrier film around each one, so you have to cut the decal out pretty much along each of its edges. Once or twice, after doing the 'rough' cut out of the decal, but before cutting right to its edge, I've just put it straight into the water, like I would a normal decal, and then have had to fish it out and try to cut up to its edges then. But apart from that occasional lapse, they're fine really. Very thin, so you have to be careful with them, and if you mess around with them too much when placing them the colour can start to lift from them a bit ( especially the red ones from the flight pods and the solid grey ones from the engines ). But that's ok too, if a bit of colour lifts here and there it just makes the finished article look even more old and damaged! :)

There's also two sets of sheets you can buy. One is 'Armour Only' which does all the multi-panelled grey sheets on the armour, and the other includes the decals for in between each rib. It's a lot more work, but I'd go with the Deluxe, as otherwise the area between each rib looks too plain to my eye!

J.