Early RAF Jaguar GR1 questions

phat trev

The artwork clearly shows a prototype in RAF markings. Check the plate in front of the air intakes, this was a feature of the protoypes and was not used on production Jaguars.

I don't know what serial is included in that box, might be XW560 or XW563, both British single seater prototypes. I have a few pictures of these if you are interested. XW563 was used in weapons trials and there are pictures of it with several types of ordnance.

The very first RAF production jaguars actually had the pointed nose and no RWR on the tail. I have a couple of pictures of these, however they differ in markings from the airfix box as they had red/blue roundels and of course squadron markings. And of course are proper production jaguars with the definitive air intakes

Is the box art of the old Airfix Jaguar GR1 correct?

PICT0002-12.jpg

I may be wrong but would this be a prototype in RAF markings or fictional.

If it is correct, would anyone know of any photos of the real machine?

It's the orginal Airfix release by the looks of it and it represents a prototype - no ventral fins, short tail fin, splitter plates on intakes and pointy nose. It also has a problem in that they misrepresent the cannon bulges and do not extend them back to fair in to the fuselage where it starts to curve out below the intakes. There are probably other detail differences I am overlooking.

The markings are accurate for XW560 which was, IIRC, Jaguar S06 (S for Strike), the first British built prototype but it had, at least later, ventral fins. I'm not sure if it first flew without them - I know the E and M prototypes didn't have them at first. Here's a pic which shows it with ventral fins.

127-1.jpg

David

Is the box art of the old Airfix Jaguar GR1 correct?

PICT0002-12.jpg

I may be wrong but would this be a prototype in RAF markings or fictional.

If it is correct, would anyone know of any photos of the real machine?

The cammo scheme is wrong but the nose, tail and intake splitter plates are spot on for the Jag prototype, only the nose profile remaining on first production machines, the tail being raised and the splitter plates being cut back. I remember seeing a couple of Jags identical to this operating on the M61 motorway before it opened or was it the M6.

Hope that helps

Steve

The ordnance looks iffy. I have no idea what the extended tube with the SNEB nose is meant to be under the belly. Also single bombs and early pattern Sidewinders carried on the outboard hardpoints. :huh:

I remember making the retooled GR.1 when it first came out and thinkng that the nose looked rather 'fat' too.

It goes without saying that the transfers were probably pants too.

Trevor

The underfuselage store looks like a Matra JL-100 combined rocket pod/fuel tank arrangement. IIRC, the old Matchbox Jaguar came with this as the centreline store, along with four AS30s (on rather unlikely looking pylons).

Just found this after a rummage around in the attic. I did it around 1992 as target for practicing airbrushing. It's a bit worse for wear but this is the original Airfix Jaguar.

photo.jpg

I have 3 in the stash still and might make them one day as 2 of the prototypes - S06 (this one) and the M. Should make a strikingly different pair.

David

I remember seeing a couple of Jags identical to this operating on the M61 motorway before it opened or was it the M6.

That was on the M55 (the one that goes to Blackpool of the M6), before it was opened to traffic.

That was on the M55 (the one that goes to Blackpool of the M6), before it was opened to traffic.

[/quote

Your absolutely right, Jabba. I should have remembered that as I travel along it to work every day !

I remember watching Harries operating from barns and side roads in Germany as well in 1981