Matchbox 1/700th HMS Kelly / Kelvin?

Davidf66

Hi everyone, I'm not a maritime modeller but I got asked at one of my air-brushing demos if I knew where to get a Matchbox 1/700th scale HMS Kelly. I honestly didn't even know that Matchbox produced any ships kits in this scale so I figured I'd ask here. Basically I just need to know A) Does/Did this kit exist? B) How much would it cost? C) Does anyone have one they would be willing to part with?

Many thanks in advance for any information you can provide, TTFN, David.

Hi everyone, I'm not a maritime modeller but I got asked at one of my air-brushing demos if I knew where to get a Matchbox 1/700th scale HMS Kelly. I honestly didn't even know that Matchbox produced any ships kits in this scale so I figured I'd ask here. Basically I just need to know A) Does/Did this kit exist? B) How much would it cost? C) Does anyone have one they would be willing to part with?

Many thanks in advance for any information you can provide, TTFN, David.

Yes it exists, two sold on ebay recently for £20 and £11

The kit is reasonably accurate in outline from what I remember, but rather basic. If you're wanting a simple build of Kelly and can find one at a reasonable price then this is the kit to get, if you want an accurate and detailed one and don't mind resin and etched brass WEM is the way to go, it's not much more than the Matchbox kit and has all you need in the box

The WEM model actually needs some modification to make it totally accurate and the flare at the bow needs improving. The Matchbox kit is in many ways a nice option (and you can choose either Kelly or Kelvin) but it suffers from clunky detail. Both kits will involve a lot of work to turn into accurate models.

• 8 months later...

Rather than pay daft mkoney for the matchbox kit, which according to a ex kelly man is the best he has seen, keep checking at the shows I managed to pick 2 up for £5 each at the glasgow and perth shows last year