Airfix 1:350 Type 45 Destroyer

alpine_modeller

Seems to have gone ominously quiet looking from abroad. Lots of German sites are listing it with "release date TBA". I cannot find any reference to it on the Airfix site anymore. Dont want to do a Dragon 1:700 kit.

Has this been shelved or postponed ???

Edited by alpine_modeller

That looks very nice. It seems to have the Harpoon installed that aren't on the real ships, but not the Phalanx that is already on Daring. Hopefully they'll be included in the kit.

Should look nice with Trumpeters Type 23.

Stuart

They had the Phalanx but had left them behind by accident when discussing the model at SMW, plus pointed out that Daring would have the Phalanx 1B with the extra sensors on the side of the dome.

Anyway the kits not going to be out till the 3rd qtr of 2012 so plenty of time to sort out the fine details yet

Edited by Geoff_B

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've heard that Airfix has a problem with the mould not pouring correctly, so there will be a delay for the release. Haven't confirmed this yet, but my choice would be to accept a delay for a correct kit. I'm really looking forward to this one, as I've now been to sea on 4 of them.

Pouring? It's injection moulded, so I'm guessing you mean the injection process? I suspect there's a lot more science to injection moulding than laying out a load of parts and joining them together with tunnels that become the sprues. A big kit must be extra tricky to get the wavefronts of liquid styrene to meet before they cool down enough to skin over, without trapping any air anywhere.

Ouch!!

Airfix have announced prices for HMS Daring, £49.99 for the kit and £59.99 for the gift set!

Not that bad when you consider the size of the moulds required for, what is, quite a large ship.

Ouch!!

Airfix have announced prices for HMS Daring, £49.99 for the kit and £59.99 for the gift set!

10quid extra for those nightmare little tubs of paint ????

:blink:

Makes the prices comparable to the release of Lusty, suppose taking into account a few years inflation, sounds about right.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Here`s some close up photos of HMS Dragon ,may come in useful when (WHEN) the Airfix kit is released.

Cheers Phil

..and more here ...

http://falkeeinsmodel.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...h-dockyard.html

..son no.2 did the HMS Dragon tour last weekend for the Portsmouth 'Remembering the Falklands' event

• 1 month later...

I saw the sprues for the Type 45 on the Airfix stand at Farnborough this weekend and it looks good. When I asked the guys when it was due out they said it was having a few small tweaks done and should be out "in a couple of months".

• 5 months later...

I have got my copy of this model on order. Even though the website I purchased it through was saying that it would be available on 19th December, apparently Airfix haven't sent them to any of their dealers, even though they have the gift set (which I have ordered) in their warehouses and as such the model won't be available for me to work on until sometime in January.

I have to say it is really annoying as I wanted to work on it over my christmas break which begins tomorrow but I guess I will have to work on other models instead and get all of those finished.

I have got my copy of this model on order. Even though the website I purchased it through was saying that it would be available on 19th December, apparently Airfix haven't sent them to any of their dealers, even though they have the gift set (which I have ordered) in their warehouses and as such the model won't be available for me to work on until sometime in January.

I have to say it is really annoying as I wanted to work on it over my christmas break which begins tomorrow but I guess I will have to work on other models instead and get all of those finished.

Got mine today from T7 models looks lovely standard model £44.50.