US Nuclear Submarine colors

Don H.

I'm thinking of doing a model of a US nuclear boat, namely one of the Skipjacks (SSN-585). For painting, I looked up several of the class on the net, and got an amazing variety of paint schemes on the various models. Some are depicted with the lower hull in red, some in black, some in grey. The demarcation line was also variously portrayed. I suspect at least some were not accurate, but does anyone have any information about the colors of a real 585 boat? Any non-speculative refrence works? <grin>

I have heard rumors regarding a 1/72nd Skipjack, and have found photos of a test shot. Any further news regarding the kit?

I am doing this for a freind whose brother went down with Thresher, and I feel I should be as accurate as possible.

Thank you in advance.

Don Harstad

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I did. I then placed an order! It arrived two days ago, and I've got the basic construction just about done. The thing is well engineered, and I have found only one minor problem regarding construction. The after hull halves are packed inside the forward hull haves, and this causes a slight bending inward of the sides, where the fore-aft join is to be made. I thought at first that this was going to be a large problem, but merely placing strong rubber bands around the after hull squeezed it enough to permit a very tight fit into the forward portion. The kit seems quite accurate, and very well engineered. The placement of the sail on the forward portion first then permits the after portion to be locked in using the pin on the upper after half. (You sort of have to see it...<grin>) Anyway, thus far I am pleased with the results. Oh, and, yes, it is BIG. Not unmanageable if you've managed to fine a place for a U Boat... but it does require planning. I have yet to place the periscopes and the other parts on the top of the sail, and the zincs and propeller need to be placed, but then it's just painting.