1/48 P-51B 'Ding Hao'

I'll join in the group build with this if I may?

The Tamiya P-51B kit using decals provided by Wellzy for Lt. Col. James Howard's aircraft 'Ding Hao'. Now this aircraft is pretty famous and I usually steer away from such subjects because they have been done many times by other modellers (as is the case with Ding Hao), but after reading the Medal of Honour report into Howards actions on 11th January 1944 I simply had to build it.

This is the citation and is worth a read:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action with the enemy near Oschersleben, Germany, on 11 January 1944. On that day Col. Howard was the leader of a group of P51 aircraft providing support for a heavy bomber formation on a long-range mission deep in enemy territory. As Col. Howard's group met the bombers in the target area the bomber force was attacked by numerous enemy fighters. Col. Howard, with his group, and at once engaged the enemy and himself destroyed a German ME. 110. As a result of this attack Col. Howard lost contact with his group, and at once returned to the level of the bomber formation. He then saw that the bombers were being heavily attacked by enemy airplanes and that no other friendly fighters were at hand. While Col. Howard could have waited to attempt to assemble his group before engaging the enemy, he chose instead to attack single-handed a formation of more than 30 German airplanes. With utter disregard for his own safety he immediately pressed home determined attacks for some 30 minutes, during which time he destroyed 3 enemy airplanes and probably destroyed and damaged others. Toward the end of this engagement 3 of his guns went out of action and his fuel supply was becoming dangerously low. Despite these handicaps and the almost insuperable odds against him, Col. Howard continued his aggressive action in an attempt to protect the bombers from the numerous fighters. His skill, courage, and intrepidity on this occasion set an example of heroism which will be an inspiration to the U.S. Armed Forces.

I think that makes him worthy of my modelling respect!

Here are the obligatory shots of the kit I'll be using.

p1090825.jpg

p1090823h.jpg

p1090822f.jpg

p1090821.jpg

p1090826p.jpg

The markings I'll use. The machine is olive drab over neutral grey with white I.D. bands and nose. Should look fairly neat.

p1100007w.jpg

These are easy to build aren't they?

I finished my christmas shopping and cracked on with the P-51B. I have an eduard zoom set (more for the seatbelts than anything else) so I spent the day building the cockpit.

The eduard p.e. instrument

p1100087j.jpg

and then the cockpit p.e.

p1100099z.jpg

And the two coming together.

p1100104.jpg

p1100105.jpg

and then in about 30 minutes I did this,

p1100107j.jpg

p1100111y.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments, She's coming on so well that I reckon she'll be done before new year :)

Hi Rowan

I see the decals got to you ok ,I look forward to your build.

wellzy :headphones:

Yes they did Welzy, thanks ever so much for passing them on. Once I'm done with the instructions I'll send them on to you so you have the placement instructions for the kit decals I swapped with you.