'Desert Lady' completed - Airfix Spitfire Mk IXc - 1:72 new tool

Hi folks:

Perhaps the title should read 'First and Last' as this weeny Spit's the first one I've finished in 2011...and will be the last without question...lol

SpitfireIXc9.jpg

SpitfireIXc10.jpg

SpitfireIXc11.jpg

SpitfireIXc12.jpg

SpitfireIXc13.jpg

SpitfireIXc14.jpg

SpitfireIXc15.jpg

Wishing you and yours God's blessings at Christmas, together with a peaceful and happy New Year.

Steve :)

THese new tool kits are pretty awesome! Cracking build to end the year on!

Hi M:

Thanks for that - you're right about the new tool stuff; there's so much of it that I'm beginning to doubt Santa's going to have room on the wagon for me...lol.

Steve :D

That's a fantatic job on the building,painting,and weathering. Is that built from the box using the kit decals? Almost finished the PR.XIX which has been a pleasant uncomplicated build. :goodjob: and Merry Christmas.

...Xtradecal markings replace the kit items - not because there's anything wrong with the latter, just by way of variation. To fill in some of the rest - The azure lowers are via the prescribed Tamiya mix and the uppers are Gunze acrylics - all thinned with cellulose (an aggressive, 'hot' vehicle that creates a harder finish than mixers like isopropyl and so on).

The RAF prescribed a maximum 1 inch 'feather' demarcation between upper camo colours I understand, so the Middle Stone was slopped on first and the edges of what would be the Dark Earth areas were laid in with 0.5mm pin striping tape that can be manipulated in tight enough curves with fine tweezers to suit. The Middle Stone was filled in with Tamiya kabuki tape and the Dark Earth laid in.

A thin mix of Dark Earth was sprayed with the airbush sloping 'into' the Dark Earth along its edges to gently soften them. A repeat of the same process but with Middle Stone loaded, sealed the deal - hard edged marking via tape, softened freehand.

Leaving the azure masked over, the upper tape was slipped off and a very thin overspray of Middle Stone was 'patched' over the whole upper surface. The overspray mix was lightened by about 30%, thinned further and 'patched' over again to 'knock back' the Dark Earth and introduce some paling of the Middle Stone.

Oils of various colours were used to start breaking up the finish and applied by latex gloved finger, brush, sponge, single bristle and so on. Klear sealed the first and second weathering layers so the third (a re-application of the oils as previously described) could go over the top without disturbing the first two. Two more brushed applications of Klear (no need to airbrush it - there'll be no brush marks) went on to give a decal ready finish.

A little more fiddling with the finish was added later via a quick random 'scribble' at very close range (1-2cms) to the surface on a 'fine' trigger setting with the airbrush loaded with the very thin tyre black / red brown mix before the final few bits were bolted on.

The fun bit with 'scribbling' is to switch off the targeting computer (Luke) and feel The Force, going totally random here there and everywhere - the 'scribble' will intersect at various points as you meander around leading to build up of tone at those points. The idea is not to accumulate tone as soon as you start 'scribbling' - that'd mean your mix is w-a-y too rich.

The base finish on this build has been 'fogged' and bleached as described previously - the 'scribble' then injects some random darker mottling. Couple this with tiny dot applications of oils (only just visible to the naked eye without magnifying aids) that are attacked differently - smudged in by finger, streaked by brush, sometimes tapped with a slightly damp brush (dipped in white spirit and almost dried in absorbent paper towel) add more variety to the finish.

It's a lot of fun tinkering...

Thanks again.

Steve

Brilliantly faded/weathered paintwork,looks fantastic!

Mike

Hi Mike:

Thanks for the thumbs up mate.

Beautiful paintwork Steve, did you ever finish this one:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...20&start=20

Hi Howard:

Thanks for that - no, the quarter scale Vb is in the modelling bunker awaiting completion in 2012. I have an obligation or two to complete for a mag plus one of my bruv's, then it'll gravitate to the top of the pile I'm pretty sure.

Best regards

A beautiful and inspiring little build, great finish!! :clap2:

Cheers M! Much appreciated.

1/72 perfection, right there.

Thanks Skii - really appreciate that.

That's one of the nicest Spitfires I can recall seeing in 1/72. Great painting!

:worthy:

Thanks ER - cheers for the thumbs up.

Certainly one of the best desert schemes I've seen. Weathering is spot-on!

Thanks V - I've wanted to do a DE / MS / AB combo since resuming modelling as an 'adult' (technical qualification I know and in my case, in no sense indicative of any normal connotation with maturity and the like :D ).

Fantastic paintwork/weathering! :worthy: Plus, my favourite Spit scheme is the desert one, I prefer the black spinner to the more usual red too!

Hi M:

I'm looking forward to the 32nd scale Tam Spit I have in the stash going under DE / MS and AB later down the line. Should be interesting fun scaling up the whole weathering thing. Apologies for the images not being clear but the spinner's a very dark blue, rather than black (it was an 'either / or' choice on the Xtradecs sheet).

Thanks again.

Well, that is just superb. :worthy:

Really illustrates what is possible with a simple pocket money kit.

:goodjob:

Hi Smiffy - thanks. The m/o with this one was exactly that - pocket money level. No frills, wheels up, get it built, then just enjoy the painting and finishing (my favourite part). The new Airfix Swordfish beckons... :D

Hi Steve

This is really fantastic as you mastered such a faded camo.

Congratulations.

Patrick

Hi Patrick - thanks for that; this one's a bit of a dress rehersal for a quarter scale Hasegawa Vb in Levine's US markings and the same scheme, which is in turn also a rehearsal for the Tam 32nd IXc in DE / MS / AB later down the line; the bigger scale being perhaps the biggest challenge in terms of variety in the finish across various elements in the airframe.

Thanks again.

Well Steve, that is simply stunning!! Beautiful finish, stunning weathering - & all in the one true scale!! What more could one ask for....??!!

Gorgeous model!!

Keef

Hi Keef:

Thanks for that.

I forgot to mention in the initial preamble that the exhausts are via my 'simple exhaust method' - spray the bare, unprimed plastic with Alclad Steel (or other Alclad tone) and let dry.

Mix your preferred shade of brown oil paint with Liquin (Japan Dryer in the US) and coat the exhausts. Don't be shy.

Using a fresh brush remove all excess oil paint onto kitchin paper or similar so that your metallic is glazed and shows close up irregularities and brush marks.

Let dry (two days) in a warm room. Seal with clear flat, let dry and carefully install.

It works well in 72nd - bigger scales will show irregularities more readily giving even more realism and of course you can layer the effects (i.e. apply further oil, in more limited areas over the sealed base layer and so on).