RIAT 2012

phildagreek

Apaches are a dead cert. Usually one from Holland and 1 from AAC in static. Chances are there will be one in the flying display. A10s used to be regulars but have become pretty rare over the last few years. Having said that, there was one in the flying display last year but I doubt very much this will be repeated this time round.

Its getting better every week.

As this is my first real airshow I am really looking forward to it.

What are the chances of apaches and an a10 or two appearing. That's the two my kids want to see - honest.:P

A10s were there last year (even though its display was ended after about 1 min due to a problem) very unlikely i would have thought to see them this year,)

Raptors would be nice but id would guess unlikely again as they will class the major American draw as the Osprey and no one likes to take second billing as it were. as for Apaches , that is possible, there are Brit ones and foreign ones that seem to be a regular occurance.

Last years show was bordering on very poor indeed, it was lacklustre and had nothing really of any note, and off past years the static was terrible , this year SEEMS to be shaping up better so fingers crossed .

Apaches are a dead cert. Usually one from Holland and 1 from AAC in static. Chances are there will be one in the flying display. A10s used to be regulars but have become pretty rare over the last few years. Having said that, there was one in the flying display last year but I doubt very much this will be repeated this time round.

This year no Dutch demo Apache.... because of cutbacks....

But RIAT does look promising.. Brazillian Herc brought some nice booze last time.. and very, very nice looking females too....

Harald

A10s were there last year (even though its display was ended after about 1 min due to a problem) very unlikely i would have thought to see them this year,)

Raptors would be nice but id would guess unlikely again as they will class the major American draw as the Osprey and no one likes to take second billing as it were. as for Apaches , that is possible, there are Brit ones and foreign ones that seem to be a regular occurance.

Last years show was bordering on very poor indeed, it was lacklustre and had nothing really of any note, and off past years the static was terrible , this year SEEMS to be shaping up better so fingers crossed .

Comments like this make me upset, who cares if YOU think its poor, nothing of note you say? What about the Saudi Hawks, Turkish Stars, Ukrainian SU-27 and IL-78, the awesome C-27 Spartan display? Many, many people I have spoken too loved the show and thought the flying display was excellent.

I volunteer at the show and don't see much of the flying display, but what I do see of it, makes me grin like a child. I'm guessing you aren't really an aviation nut if you only get a touch on looking at 'Lacklustre' aircraft like the F-22.

Its called the 'International Air Tattoo' as different countries are invited, not just the USA, you can see american aircraft in and around the UK all year long, and its not everyday you get to see display teams from South Korea and Saudi Arabia is it?

So cut the guys at RIAT some slack please, they are doing their best to please the likes of you and the thousands of other people who come every year and love it.

Comments like this make me upset, who cares if YOU think its poor, nothing of note you say? What about the Saudi Hawks, Turkish Stars, Ukrainian SU-27 and IL-78, the awesome C-27 Spartan display? Many, many people I have spoken too loved the show and thought the flying display was excellent.

I volunteer at the show and don't see much of the flying display, but what I do see of it, makes me grin like a child. I'm guessing you aren't really an aviation nut if you only get a touch on looking at 'Lacklustre' aircraft like the F-22.

Its called the 'International Air Tattoo' as different countries are invited, not just the USA, you can see american aircraft in and around the UK all year long, and its not everyday you get to see display teams from South Korea and Saudi Arabia is it?

So cut the guys at RIAT some slack please, they are doing their best to please the likes of you and the thousands of other people who come every year and love it.

Regardles of what you added the show WAS poor and smaller compared to previous shows,you get less and less every year for more money, i pointed out that this year was looking up, ( the su27 you mentioned would have been interesting if it flew) I said raptors would be nice, not the be all end all, it was i am sure you will agree an impressive machine to see fly ( without the ridiculous boxing promoter at the beggining)

I will be going this year in the hope that things have improved as i have been for the last 15 years in its various guises, but to get my money next year they need to get better

Edited by markjames68

Well Ted , I care if it's poor, after all , it's MY MONEY - end of story.

The downward spiral of the quality of the show is managements fault.

Air Forces don't want to send aircraft any more and believe me ,crews dont want to go.

From what I read, they are treated with more contempt than the public.

So unless improvements follow , no money from me or many people that I know who used to love going.

The RAF (British Air Component ,as the rapidly shrinking former force will come to be known), and USAFE practically send and fly nothing.

The weeks preceding the show will bring the string of cancellations of the attractions that made people book in the first place, to be replaced

by wing walkers, flying bicycles , bouncy castles and double glazing tents.

This is based on facts, not sour grapes, jumping on bandwagons - I just don't have to pay entry - like many I pay for flights, car hire and hotels as well.

This has become a shoddy nu labour rip off and I am wee weed off with it.

Well I booked tickets before they went up in price. Wasn't too bothered about last year - nice to see Tornado pair back. Am more hacked off by the Cotswold Air Show being replaced by a 'Best of British' show - sad to see another local show go.

I enjoyed the show last year, first time I've been for a couple of years. Obviously nothing like the old days but when you consider how many types have been retired in the last few years it's no wonder.

Definately going again this year, hopefully it won't rain, I had to buy new shorts, t-shirt, jumper and trainers last year - and then try to get changed in a porta loo ^_^

I enjoyed the show last year, first time I've been for a couple of years. Obviously nothing like the old days but when you consider how many types have been retired in the last few years it's no wonder.

Definately going again this year, hopefully it won't rain, I had to buy new shorts, t-shirt, jumper and trainers last year - and then try to get changed in a porta loo ^_^

Yeah the weather is always a bit uncertain - July in UK...pfft

I agree, we all miss the 'old days' but times and things move on - and I suppose it beats sitting on my bottom modelling :lol:

I just don't have to pay entry - like many I pay for flights, car hire and hotels as well.

in 2005 we camped outside for 4 days, didn't actually go into the show at all - still enjoyed loads of aviation action, in fact one of the best weekends ever

I went last year, and compared to previous visits the static display was (literally) a bit thin on the ground, and the flying display also lacked the depth of some I'd been to (if I recall there were 4 F-16 solo displays) but I'm not blaming anybody - in these days of defence cuts, fuel price inflation and terror threats I'm grateful anything turned up at all. And despite the above it was worth it for the A-10 role demonstation - I must have been there on the day he didn't snap something after a minute - the flypast of trainers, and the Spartan being flung around the sky. The organisers had also thoughtfully stopped most of the traders' credit card terminals from working so I didn't come away bankrupt!

• 2 weeks later...

i cant wait for this year, even if the line up is smaller / less good as previous years, i'm more than happy to spend some money and support a great few days of aviation.

to be honest, as long as i've got my camera, a luke warm beer, some iffy looking burgers and plenty of aviation action i'm happy!

as long as i've got my camera, a luke warm beer, some iffy looking burgers and plenty of aviation action i'm happy!

We're all so easily pleased! I'm glad this is looking more interesting than last year as Kemble has been re-branded and delayed until the Autumn (and seems to now be cars, pop music and Lurcher racing with a small flying display added on :angry: - so I won't be going to THAT)

• 2 weeks later...

The official website says it has confirmed the attendance of a YAK 130 "MITTEN", a two seat light jet, used for training and coming configured for ground attack. I've never even heard of this aircraft before but it looks pretty nifty.

Looking forward to it even more now, just got my first DSLR, a nice new Canon EOS 550d, and bought a 100-300mm USM lens to go with it. Need to get some practice first though ;)

Mick

I'm going to have a great weekend. Fly to Stansted Saturday, RIAT on Sunday, Trade Day at Farnborough on Monday, LHR Tuesday and fly back home from Stansted Tuesday night. The best way possible in these islands of celebrating a 65th birthday.

A couple more additions according to the official site, German Air Force A310 MRTT in the static display and then some noise with a Swedish Air Force Gripen and a French Air Force Rafale C.

It's gonna be good. B)

Just watched the vid in the above link. They look awesome. Such perfect formation breaks and very tidy. The Reds have got some stiff competition !!!

Edited by Paul J

its starting to look a good line up for me!

an26, an28, AWACS, KC-135, b-53, osprey, a400m.... all my kind of things!

fingers tightly crossed for a big russian, if not an an-225 then at least an an-124 would be awesome.