RIAT 2012

phildagreek

Wonderland Models would like to thank all the customers who visited us last weekend in our Marquee at the Waddington Airshow. I am sure you will all agree that it was a great show despite the weather. We are off on our travels again and look forward to seeing lots of you again at the Royal International Air Tattoo at Fairford this coming weekend 7/8th July.

Royal International Air Tattoo

We shall again have lots of bargains and sale items with lots of model kits at reduced prices from Airfix, Revell, Tamiya, Trumpeter, Academy as well as paints, glues and modelling accessories. We have limited quantities of many model kits up to 50% off so get there early for the best selection. We will also have lots of radio control planes and helicopters from E-Flite, Revell and Silverlit as well as loads of diecast models from Corgi, Squadron Wings and Sky Guardians.

Great news Windy, will you be with the aircraft in the static?

Yes she will, it could well be the final display at RIAT of the might HC.4 due to the reducing of the fleet and withdrawl from service.

Wonderland Models would like to thank all the customers who visited us last weekend in our Marquee at the Waddington Airshow. I am sure you will all agree that it was a great show despite the weather. We are off on our travels again and look forward to seeing lots of you again at the Royal International Air Tattoo at Fairford this coming weekend 7/8th July.

Royal International Air Tattoo

We shall again have lots of bargains and sale items with lots of model kits at reduced prices from Airfix, Revell, Tamiya, Trumpeter, Academy as well as paints, glues and modelling accessories. We have limited quantities of many model kits up to 50% off so get there early for the best selection. We will also have lots of radio control planes and helicopters from E-Flite, Revell and Silverlit as well as loads of diecast models from Corgi, Squadron Wings and Sky Guardians.

Any hint on the offers, just seeing if your the first place to call on Sat.

Shaun.

A couple of years ago I worked at RIAT. I was part of the emergency medical team.

It was the year the F-22 Raptor made its first airshow appearance out side the USA.

As we were "Air Side" we could get really close to the aeroplanes and took loads of photos.

However, we were told we were not allowed to take pictures of the F-22.

I asked why, and was told the USAF did not want anyone taking photos of their latest hi-tech, top secret jet fighter.

"Why take it to an air show then?" I asked :oops:

. I also asked why, if its so secret, park it up so close to the boundary fence that anyone passing with a camera phone could snap

decent shots of it, let alone the guys with the cameras with six foot zoom lenses?! :dunce:

They didn't answer that, they just said that anyone caught taking pictures of the F-22 would have their equipment confiscated and they would be thrown off the base! :fuhrer::rules:

Everyone made sure they got loads of pictures of the Raptor, what were they going to do, throw all the medical team off the camp, and then have to close the show down? :banghead:

i had a tour around the airside yesterday evening with a MOD police sgt. He said we could'nt take any pics with a mobile phone. I asked if he referred to the american stuff, which he confirmed. Seeing as there would be millions of lenses over the weekend, we both found that incredulous. When we got the static, there were two offical RIAT photographers with superduper lenses snapping away and the USAF heavies, and various RAF guards using, you guessed it, their mobile phones.

i had a tour around the airside yesterday evening with a MOD police sgt. He said we could'nt take any pics with a mobile phone. I asked if he referred to the american stuff, which he confirmed. Seeing as there would be millions of lenses over the weekend, we both found that incredulous. When we got the static, there were two offical RIAT photographers with superduper lenses snapping away and the USAF heavies, and various RAF guards using, you guessed it, their mobile phones.

thats just crazy! i for one will be snapping at those beasts tomorrow!

other than it being crazy, i'm super jealous you got to go airside!

other than it being crazy, i'm super jealous you got to go airside!

One of the perks of being the local police sergeant. We work with MOD police all the time

I arrived yesterday with my lovely mean green flying machine. Looks to be a excellent show despite the weather although it is touch and go to see if the Vulcan can arrive as the met forecast is pants.

Hey Windy, if some guy with a teenage female air cadet and his dad in tow comes and says hello, it's me, what's the secret password on Sunday????

The password is clundge.

Sitting in my car at the Park & View with rain falling on my windscreen preying that the forecast break in the weather comes soon. Airshow Radio announced that '558 is scheduled to leave Finningley around 4pm. They also said that the Rafales were expected at 18:50hrs. Surprised to see the A400M here, as I understood that it had cancelled. Fingers crossed for an improvement on the weather as the cloud ceiling is presently 800 feet.

Can't wait for tomorrow, early start, stuff the weather although the RIAT forecast doesn't sound disastrous by any means and the winds seem fine. Plus, the damp weather can create some spectacular effects, check out the Osprey arrival. Pack a brolley and all will be well I reckon. The only thing that concerns me is the possibility of cancellation if the parking areas get too waterlogged, does anyone have any information on the possibility of that happening? I was at Waddo a few years back when it was cancelled for this reason, is it a possibility here? I hope not.

Well, I just got back and I thought it was a great show. I got parked by 0715 (no delay), there was a queue for 40mins to get through gate though not a problem. Did the photos of all the air parks before 1000 and flying programme. Apart from a very unpleasant squall about 1330, weather held up OK. Flying programme highlights for me were mostly to do with noise...Polish MiG-29 (awesome), AdlA Rafale, Gripen, Typhoon, F/A-18 (great display), Tornado GR4 demo and MV-22 Osprey. The Dutch F-16 looked a bit lively but I was walkabout for some leg-stretching and kit-spotting at Wonderland Models/Models For Sale/Mr Models!

I thought the Vulcan was flown well within itself (not surprisingly). Had a walk through the C-5! The B-2 just looked menacing!

Best bit of whole day were the Black Eagles - those T-50's are brilliant (and very noisy) and they were very tightly flown - better than the Arrows (who were still good).

Delayed return to car by visiting Aviation Bookshop (2 books bought) and Models For Sale (2 kits purchased) and consequently got out the car park in 10mins which is 3 hours quicker than last year. I don't envy anyone going tomorrow - a couple of those car parks needed tractors to help people out.

Great day out

Edited by AndyC

Had a cracking day out. The best imprompty trip i've ever taken, and my mate, an airshow virgin, is now hooked!

Apart from the Korean Black Eagles, my favourite solo display was the F/A-18F, closely followed by the Mig-29. The noise of them both was awesome! B-2 blew the static away, but the USAF special ops display with the MC-130's, HH-60 and some small arms (SCAR-H was particularly interesting but you could here the guys wince every time the action was fired off and the need for oiling became more pressing :lol: ) was also very good in my opinion, along with the B-52 and the Slovakian Mig-29.

Didn't buy as many kits as i'd hoped, just the one, but got some books and other bits and pieces, not to mention some original recipe Mountain Dew of the USAF boys!

Can't wait for next year.

Dave

Just got into the house about 30 minutes ago.

Fantastic weekend at RIAT, good effort to all involved. I went in on the Sunday, superb weather, fantastic statics and the flying was just spotty dog. The Korean team were amazing, as were the Red Arrows, the Breitling team and Al Hussan, the Swiss team were good as well. The F18 was noisy the Mig was great.

All good.

I spent this morning and early afternoon in a field near the green car parks. Gloucestershire Constabularly are top blokes and understand people who want to watch departures, can't praise these coppers enough, especially the traffic sergeant on the motor bike, great guy.

I saw the Vulcan go and join up with the Red Arrows, the VC10 lifted so elegantly it almost hurt and the German Phantom was so loud and ugly it hurt but God it was beautiful. And then we [my little gang of about 20 cars] saw the B2 lift and stay low and then go, stunning, people actually applauded where we were stood.

Fantastic weekend, well worth a few hundred miles of pain in the bottom driving. :speak_cool:

Any feedback on the checklist?

Highlight for me was the walkaround on the P-3C and the Japanese 767.

Flying highlights was the F/A18F Super Hornet (Watched from north side) and the Black Eagles.

Also picked up the new 72nd Mustang and Mk22 Spitfire from Airfix!

Adam