RIAT 2012

phildagreek

I've just bought my tickets for next year and got the hotel sorted out, is anyone else going?

Does anyone know of a good website for advanced news on who and what will be there apart from the official site? My google searches aren't producing much.

Cheers.

:please::drink:

Got my ticket too - FOC :D

I would completely ignore the official RIAT site as far as attendees are concerned. I stay tuned to Aviation forums like UKAR or Fighter Control where threads open up - many people in the know who leak information, plus regular updates on new attendees and cancellations. The RIAT site wont offer you this really.

Got my ticket too - FOC :D

I would completely ignore the official RIAT site as far as attendees are concerned. I stay tuned to Aviation forums like UKAR or Fighter Control where threads open up - many people in the know who leak information, plus regular updates on new attendees and cancellations. The RIAT site wont offer you this really.

True, But alot of people just spread rumors on forums, I'd rather wait till the week before and go for the arrivals day(s)!

True, But alot of people just spread rumors on forums, I'd rather wait till the week before and go for the arrivals day(s)!

Yup true, but those rumours are often wiped out or confirmed by the many in the know. If you take RIAT/Waddington sites, they are selling tools and of course promote mainly the positives, so you dont tend to get regular updates on aircraft or airforces that have pulled out, a point in case only a few years ago when for the first time in many years the Russians were due to send quite a contingency over for RIAT.

However, because RIAT and the Ruskies could not agree about fuel, they pulled out. This was picked up on UKAR weeks before RIAT, but the offical RIAT site stayed untouched right until the last weeks. This far in advance, rumours are rife, but as you near the shows, you cant beat the Aviation forums.

Nothing this side of Christmas will get mentioned, the only news so far is that it's going to be a 'Heavy Lift' theme and Diamond Jubilee The Queen's Diamond Jubilee - http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/aboutthetattoo/09themes

RIAT have been listening to the masses:

http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/Newsroom/...on-airtattoocom

I like the 'traffic light' idea, and that Latvian Mil-17 sounds verrrry tasty indeed! :)

G.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question for those that have been before.

Looking to get the cheaper tickets rather than the stands etc. Is it possible to get good photos of the aircraft in flight from here?

Presume it will also be rather slow getting into etc due to traffic. I will be travelling from slough on the Sunday most likely. Any other tips?

Thanks

Quick question for those that have been before.

Looking to get the cheaper tickets rather than the stands etc. Is it possible to get good photos of the aircraft in flight from here?

Presume it will also be rather slow getting into etc due to traffic. I will be travelling from slough on the Sunday most likely. Any other tips?

Thanks

I never get a ticket for the stand as they are placed in the middle of the airfield and I'd prefer to be at either end of the runway personally.

I have been a couple of times now and have only ever bought the standard tickets [same as this time], I like wandering around and you can usually find a good spot to have a few minutes and watch the displaying aircraft, you can also move around for light etc for photos, I have taken some good ones [i think!] from various points around the airfield.

As for travel, the earlier the better. I'm in a hotel in Cheltenham and will be leaving on the Sunday morning by half six at the latest, I know I'll be there early [very early], but I will avoid the crowds, get a good look at the static stuff without getting stood on or having to fight the crowd and be ready for the flying. I will stay until the bitter end when I am being kicked off the airfield and try and get my money's worth.

I'll be travelling light, just a daysack for camera gear, weather proof gear and of course - purchases! I know some people take picnics but I would rather just grab and go from the various food trucks that are scattered about.

It'll be great! :partytime:

I went a couple of years ago. I would aim to get their for 7-7:30 and be prepared for a slow journey to the motorway(the M5 north bound for me).

I would also recommend bringing a pack lunch and drinks as the catering services do get swamped an I'd rather watch the show than que up.

Also found this to be really useful -

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...t%3ERUCKSAC.htm

• 2 weeks later...
I've just bought my tickets for next year and got the hotel sorted out, is anyone else going?

Does anyone know of a good website for advanced news on who and what will be there apart from the official site? My google searches aren't producing much.

Cheers.

:please::drink:

Wow , you are off to a good start...Have not even given it a thought ..now maybe I should.. :sleep_1:

Got to get those dates on the calendar, otherwise you know who will complain that the weekend is double booked! In our house, first on the calendar is the winner - unless SWMBO changes her mind!

Scramble's a pretty good place to watch. http://forum.scramble.nl/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=77481

I'm starting to hear interesting things from people who I trust due to the depth of their connections.

It's a Farnborough year, so there are a lot of things possible. South Koreans are in discussions (and training!) for Farnborough & RIAT apparently, so that will be a first if they do appear.

EDIT: FB link which seems to back up the Black eagles info:

https://www.facebook.com/blackeagles.kr

G.

Edited by ursa_major

I'm allergic to traffic queues so I'm always parked up by 06:00. Plonk myself at one end of the field one day and wander around on the other. Last year I found an i-pod and a few podcasts to be an excellent way to stay sane while queuing on foot and while the weather was wiping out all the best bits of Saturday's flying program. It was still hellishly cold though, gotta love the British Summer!

The new RIAT site does look good, but UKAR is the place to go for info so long as you have a good squelch knob to filter out the noise.

Steve.