RIAT 2012

phildagreek

I remember that. I thought to myself it was almost like seeing a spacecraft.

I'm going on Saturday but I'm seriously thinking of going to the departures day. Does everything leave or just some of it?

I can't wait for next week!

Most aircraft depart on the monday, and most are gone by mid afternoon. A lot depends on where they are parked, some of the large aircraft are boxed in until they move aircraft from around them and clear the taxiway for them to get out.

A few also go "tech " and can't leave until repairs have been made.

A few years ago the Mirage IV had a flat battery and could not depart until a new one was flown in from France!!

Shaun

Most aircraft depart on the monday, and most are gone by mid afternoon. A lot depends on where they are parked, some of the large aircraft are boxed in until they move aircraft from around them and clear the taxiway for them to get out.

A few also go "tech " and can't leave until repairs have been made.

A few years ago the Mirage IV had a flat battery and could not depart until a new one was flown in from France!!

Shaun

Great thanks. The wife is up for this so I think its a goer. Just been watching departure video's on the youtube and looks like great value for money. I don't know why I haven't thought of going before! :frantic:

Great thanks. The wife is up for this so I think its a goer. Just been watching departure video's on the youtube and looks like great value for money. I don't know why I haven't thought of going before! :frantic:

Get there quite early as aircraft start departing around 09.00 and traffic starts forming ques to hit the departure slots. Its amazing how quick the airfield starts to empty once things get moving.

Shaun

Edited by Shaun

Get there quite early as aircraft start departing around 09.00 and traffic starts forming ques to hit the departure slots. Its amazing how quick the airfield starts to empty once things get moving.

Shaun

The busiest day of the RIAT week is the Monday departures. Don't expect to have much time between departing aircraft!

Adam

Sweeeet b2 confirmed, not much else this week. Slovakia confirmed and taking a mig-29

Still no heavy Russians :(

IL-76 & AN-12 taking stuff to Farnborough on Monday, It's meant to be for Fairford to, so they might take a flight there too, Unsure yet..

Regarding me going now, it's a big no, totally gutted..

Having spent a bit of time browsing other forums/sites, there seems to be a strong rumour that the Japanese are coming to RIAT with one of thier own home grown heavy lift aircraft. The aircraft is actually coming to Farnborough but may well "drop" in, if you'll pardon the pun.

I know that the Japanese aren't actually allowed to fly at air shows in other countries [Japanese law], but the aircraft may be allowed to fly past as Farnborough is technically a trade show.

I know that the press day has been cancelled and the RIAT people are telling folks to watch for official announcement of something big tomorrow.

Anybody else????? :coolio:

THEY'RE COMING!

A JSDF KC767J has been added to the static display. I have never ever ever seen a JSDF aircraft. Fantastic!

THEY'RE COMING!

A JSDF KC767J has been added to the static display. I have never ever ever seen a JSDF aircraft. Fantastic!

This looks great now, i hope next Weekends weather is better than forecast for this weekend :raincloud:

Shaun

IL-76 & AN-12 taking stuff to Farnborough on Monday, It's meant to be for Fairford to, so they might take a flight there too, Unsure yet..

Regarding me going now, it's a big no, totally gutted..

That would be insane, the il-76 was awesome last year, gutted I didn't get it to leave - will take plenty of pics if it's there

Good news about the Japanese too, wish they were bring the e-767 instead. It's more like a tanker theme now!

My daughter was reading off the RIAT 'Blurb' from her iPhone yesterday..... and I quote...

"The operational theme SkyLift will showcase modern, versatile and long-range aircraft such as the KC-30, C-17 Globemaster III, KC-767, A400M, A330 and Antonov 124 as well as the more venerable types such as the C-5 Galaxy, KC-10, KC-135, C-130 Hercules and Ilyushin II-76 which have been the mainstay of airlift and refuelling operations worldwide for more than 30 years."

Surely if they are 'showcasing' the An-124 and Il-76 (amongst others) - they should at least be there ????

Trades Description Act anyone ????

I'll be there for six days anyway - but it is a bit of a stretch to include the Ruslan and Candid....

Ken

My daughter was reading off the RIAT 'Blurb' from her iPhone yesterday..... and I quote...

"The operational theme SkyLift will showcase modern, versatile and long-range aircraft such as the KC-30, C-17 Globemaster III, KC-767, A400M, A330 and Antonov 124 as well as the more venerable types such as the C-5 Galaxy, KC-10, KC-135, C-130 Hercules and Ilyushin II-76 which have been the mainstay of airlift and refuelling operations worldwide for more than 30 years."

Surely if they are 'showcasing' the An-124 and Il-76 (amongst others) - they should at least be there ????

Trades Description Act anyone ????

I'll be there for six days anyway - but it is a bit of a stretch to include the Ruslan and Candid....

Ken

I think that blurb has been on the website since the theme was announced- possibly late last year. We may get a couple of late announcements. Would be great to have the 124 parked next to the C-5. Great photo opportunity of you could get a shot from the next county!

Going to be a great show however. I just hope mother nature decides to cancel the rain!

Well its great to see that RIAT must have taken onboard comments about the last 2 years as this year is looking very good indeed, having just seen the news though, the same cant be said for the weather!!!! Aaaarrggghh!!

Am camping there from Thurs to monday, looks like its wellies and waterproofs time.

Atleast this year they have the infrastructure to deal with it so cancellation wont be an option this time.......

Edited by markjames68

I hope we don't lose a couple of hours of display time because of the weather like on the Saturday last year!

I'm going both days (in theory) and I expect to get rained on, possibly heavily, but with some dry sunny spells in between. Not ideal, but it does provide the opportunity for some great pictures in clearing weather. After feeling like I was dieing in the cold and wet last year (Saturday) I've just invested in a Berghaus waterproof jacket to try and fight back.

given the option though, I'd add my vote to the bright and sunny campaign :-)

Steve.

Edited by Bennygman

For those camping its not looking good, sound like a rerun of a couple of years ago!

Kempsford camping

We are due to arrive on Thursday, better bring the wellies and the car may need a wash when we get back home :whistle:

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Just hooked up with some new waterproofs in preparation

Gutted about the Saudi hawks, as long as the rest turn up (hopefully with some surprise Russian kit) then it'll still be a great weekend I'm sure

I just hope rain on the lens won't spoil pics - anyone got any tips?!

I'm looking forward to the weekend, I need my monthly bath ^_^

I find the best way to keep the rain off the lense is to keep the camera switched on but hidden inside your jacket ready for a quick draw shot when necessary. Afterwards, the lense gets wiped and put back into jacket ready for the next quick draw.

If it rains like it did on the Saturday last year you really won't be wanting to take pictures anyway!

7175339204_0303daf48a_b.jpg

IMG_1568 by tony_inkster, on Flickr

I just hope rain on the lens won't spoil pics - anyone got any tips?!

It will, how much will depend on the focal length (longer will be less affected as it will focus it out to an extent). They were very obvious on my wide angle at Duxford.

A long lens hood works well (my Canon 300mm has a six inch one built in which is handy) and third party ones are available a lot cheaper. You can get rain sleeves to protect the rest of the camera and still operate it. Have a look somewhere like warehouse express or T4 cameras on the web. The best short term, cheap option is to get yourself a micro fibre cloth to wipe the rain spots off. I picked one up years ago from Sigma at a camera show for a quid or so. They also work great on glasses and I-pads! Most photo shops should do them. They really are great for the job.

Keep the positive weather vibes going Gloucestershire way guys :-)

Steve.

Just had a phonecall and I will be displaying and demostrating the Seaking HC.4 from 845 NAS this year. If anyone wants a private guided tour and a friendly chat just let me know.

Edited by Windy