Pyramid school project

Dunno if there is a diorama section, but I can't see one. Should there not be ????

Holly asked me to give her a help with her primary school project on Egypt which has to be in for Friday and she had her Cubs night tonight.

DVC08598.jpg

DVC08597.jpg

DVC08599.jpg

We have made a start on her polystyrene pyramid and just need to think what to do to cover and paint it. Was thinking of getting her to paint the whole lot with a rich mix wood glue and cover with a fine dust, then paint.

The space in front is hoped to be occupied by a couple of polystyrene sphinx.

Any thoughts folks ?????

Nige

Edited by Okdoky

Hi there

Are you in the film industry making set models????? That looks fantastic !!!!!!!! What film or documentary was it from ?????

I am afraid our efforts will be a little less ambitious as it has to be in by Friday.

Going to work with Holly on the next stages.

Nige

Back from work and school so Holly and I set about making her version of the sphinx using photos of a real one for her reference

DVC08602.jpg

Marking out her blocks for cutting

DVC08604.jpg

Big sister getting in on the act and wants to do something similar for herself. Will need to wait till weekend

DVC08603.jpg

Holly's is on the right and mine on the left

DVC08607.jpg

DVC08606.jpg

I think she has done a far better job of hers than I did

DVC08605.jpg

Tomorrow night is the covering and painting. And it has to be completed by then so I see Holly having a late night extension to get it completed.

Nige

Hi there

Are you in the film industry making set models????? That looks fantastic !!!!!!!! What film or documentary was it from ?????

I am afraid our efforts will be a little less ambitious as it has to be in by Friday.

Going to work with Holly on the next stages.

Nige

Those were the 1:24 scale pyramids for Roland Emmerich's incredibly disappointing 10000BC. Spent 4 weeks in Namibia as an assistant model maker gluing tiny stones and scaffolding to the things. The whole set was 120x90m.

Hi Mike

Wow ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 1/24 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where is it now ??????????? It would make a fantastic backdrop to all my 1/24 stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!! Impressive work !!!!!!!

I would love to see some of the other model sets you have prepared. I love that sort of stuff.

Afraid our combined efforts are not quite as grand as yours, but none the less, I am really proud of Holly's efforts. I am just happy that she is keen to keep the model building going and it just means that I have to learn to make 48 hours out of 24 to make extra time for both the girls to keep their interest going.

Well we both got home from our work and got stuck into it again with what we had at hand.

Went for the tissue paper and wood glue mix to cover the polystyrene

DVC08623.jpg

DVC08624.jpg

Had to force dry it all with the hair dryer until dinner time and then got at it again with cheep acrylic paints from the Works. Holly had fun trying to judge the mix of colours to get a sandy colour

DVC08626.jpg

DVC08627.jpg

DVC08625.jpg

Needless to say the DROPS truck taking back seat to this project ,,,,,,,,,,, and the SWMBO happy to lose the dining table yet again to model building

DVC08629.jpg

Hisham ,,,,,,,,,,,,, although maybe not 100% authentic, Holly preferred the look of the stepped pyramid rather than the sloped one ,,,,,,,,,,,,, not sure if that is down to the fact that it would have needed a bit more work, or that she was keen to get on with painting it.

DVC08632.jpg

DVC08631.jpg

DVC08630.jpg

DVC08634.jpg

DVC08633.jpg

We found a box of sawdust that I have had for ages in the shed and we sprinkled that over the wet paint for a bit of basic texture.

When Holly gets her project home, I might try and source some 1/144 or 1/200 scale wargaming vehicles and figures to do a Raiders of the Lost Ark themed dio for her..

It has been a bit rushed,,,,,,,,,,,,, but you know what ??? It has been a nice wee break from the DROPS and another valuable joint build with Holly.

It has been great fun

I have also promised Jasmine that I will help her do something she wants to do. Jasmine is thinking about one of those Dog type statues in Egypt. So that might be what takes up some of my time.

Nige

Wow ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 1/24 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where is it now ??????????? It would make a fantastic backdrop to all my 1/24 stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!! Impressive work !!!!!!!

Nige

Nige, I think your beloved might have other ideas about that!

I still remember the day I casually sauntered through the front door with a 1/24 R\C Vosper Perkasa I'd just got my grubby wee mitts on for £40. The bloke had thrown in a 1/72 Perkasa too in case I wanted to super detail the stupidly big one. :yahoo:

Man... She was quite happy with the 1/72 job but you should have seen her face when I walked (well... really struggled actually) in with "The Beast". I thought she was about to have a heart attack!

The "Beast":-

DSC00671Large.jpg

Where it lives:-

IMG_0314Large-1.jpg

IMG_0315Large.jpg

Just saying... Don't get too carried away mate! :rofl:

MMMMMMMMMMMMM where do you live ?????????

How long, and how heavy you reckon that boat is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To hell with putting you on the flat-rack !!!!!!!!!!!! MMMMMMMMMMMMMM A boat as a load ????????????? Ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!! Hey folks ,,,,,,,,,,, do you think Murdo would miss it if I walk out the door with it up my jacket ????

The set got trashed very soon after shooting was completed.. By then everyone was sick of it anyway..

Here's one you might've seen:

If you look closely you'll see berries rolling down the big mound of berries in the trailer.. That's actually painted birdshot..

Here's a making of. I was 2IC in the miniature build, and built the 1:16 scale trailer to go with the tractor from scratch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkOqHZSf9v4

at 0:34 you see my massive head poking out from behind one of the set pieces. Incidentally, my profile pic was taken during that shoot.

Also, I built the two towers in this:

And latest build was the trees (2 different shape trees, 4 seasons each, duplicated in post production) and foreground element (double size) in this:

Edited by Michaelvk

• 3 months later...