Accurate Miniatures 1/48th P-51C Mustang

The second of my entries for this group will be the Accurate Miniatures P-51C Mustang built OOB with the exception of some different markings. I aim to build it as Col. Charles M McCorkle's P-51B-10 'Betty Jane'. Like my first build there is currently a warbird flown in these colours which is owned by the Collings Foundation is the US. Their one is a TP-51C but mine will be built as a single seater like the original.

The Kit

IMG_9915.jpg

The Bits

IMG_9916.jpg

The Decals

IMG_9917.jpg

The Goal

Chino-PlanesofFame024.jpg

Chino-PlanesofFame028.jpg

Off we go on another fun build, hopefully.

Pete

The second of my entries for this group will be the Accurate Miniatures P-51C Mustang built OOB with the exception of some different markings. I aim to build it as Col. Charles M McCorkle's P-51B-10 'Betty Jane'. Like my first build there is currently a warbird flown in these colours which is owned by the Collings Foundation is the US. Their one is a TP-51C but mine will be built as a single seater like the original.

The Kit

IMG_9915.jpg

The Bits

IMG_9916.jpg

The Decals

IMG_9917.jpg

The Goal

Chino-PlanesofFame024.jpg

Chino-PlanesofFame028.jpg

Off we go on another fun build, hopefully.

Pete

Nice choice peter

Are you going for a modern restoration finish or war time?

Martyn

Thanks Martyn,

When I was fortunate enough to go to Chino in 2010 this was the one that caught my eye when walking around. It's a great looking scheme and I've meant to do it ever since. I'm going to finish it a more toned down wartime finish, I just like the dull aluminium look a bit more.

Pete

I have this kit, and it's molded with the fin fillet... is this going to cause you a problem ??

Ian

- Co-host, Britmodeller 2011 P-51 STGB -

Hi Ian,

It wasn't going to cause me any problems - Right up until you pointed out that it's there, lol.

I've just had a look at the kit though and it looks like a fairly easy trim, fill and make good job so, hopefully, shouldn't be a major headache.

Thank you pointing it out now though rather than waiting until it was too late. I've seen too many posts where that's happened and it must be frustrating for the builder, so cudos to you for doing things right.

Hope to start on this one soon and at least I know what my first job will be now.

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Right, I've finally got something done on this one and am enjoying it a lot. This is a great little kit with some nice OOB detail. The cockpit is now painted up and ready for assembling into the fuselage. I also did the undercarriage bays at the same time. On with the piccies: -

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

The instrument panel was improved with some Archer decals

IMG_0070.jpg

I added some Eduard pre-coloured belts to the seat to spruce it up a bit.

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

And finally the undercarriage bay

IMG_0063.jpg

Back soon with some more.

Pete

Thanks Erik, I don't usually like the pre-painted Eduard Photetch stuff but with a matt coat and some weathering the belts do look the part. I will use the AlcladII laquers to paint it as I'm used to them and like the result they give.

Cheers

Pete

Thanks all.

A bit more progress made with this one and should have photo's soon. I wish that whoever has the moulds for this kit would hurry up and re-issue it, it really is a great kit OOB. The cockpit detail is good and probably better than the Tamiya version. There's a few gaps that need a tiny bit of your favourite filler to put right but nothing major and a five minute fix at worst. I've just come down from gluing the wing tops on and hope to get this one ready for an undercoat by midweek, fingers crossed.

Cheers

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been a bit slow on this one as I'm concentrating on my other build but I have managed to do a little bit.

The tail fillet has been removed and filled and now needs a coat of primer just to check if it's going to pass muster. A little bit more to glue on before I can get to that stage though.

I did take a few pictures of progress to this point though which, if nothing else, will pad this post out a bit :D

Cockpit glued in place: -

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

Where it's at now: -

IMG_0085.jpg

The other P-51 is moving along rapidly now, so I should be able to make some more progress with this one soon.

Cheers

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress on this one, which is good as the clock ticks rapidly towards the group build end date. The tail fillet removal turned out ok and looks pretty good, well for my efforts at filling and sanding anyway. I didn't like the way that Accurate Miniatures modelled the gun ports, they really are a bit poor. The guns glue into the wing without a positive location and leave a big open hole into the wing. I decided to block the holes and re-drill the ports. I will add some guns made from hollow tube at the end.

Plugged: -

IMG_9468.jpg

Sanded: -

IMG_9469.jpg

Drilled & Primed: -

IMG_9470.jpg

IMG_9471.jpg

IMG_9472.jpg

Not much to report between then and now but the painting is finished, gloss coat on and it's now waiting for some decals: -

IMG_9476.jpg

IMG_9477.jpg

IMG_9478.jpg

Ignore the Malcolm hood, it's only there to fill the cavity whilst I build it. The real one has been chopped into pieces so that it can be posed open.

Back soon with some more.

Pete