Removing masking tape residue from canopies?

Pat C

Just wondering whether anyone has a foolproof method for removing masking tape residue from canopies? I work so slowly that I always end up leaving tape on the canopy for a long time and even Tamiya tape leaves a bit of a sticky residue.

Pat

yep i was gonna say try goo gone, its great, they sell it at dcc suplies wonderfull model shop local to me, more railway based stuff but they do goo gone, and there very friendly in there, always give me a cup of tea when i go it, .

I asked a similar question a month or so ago. The recommendation was Goo Gone. I bought some and it worked perfectly. It removed the residue of 20 year old drafting tape from an unfinished model very easily and very quickly. And no nasty smells.

• 1 year later...

I found this thread when I searched online for 'how to remove tape residue from canopy'. Had a little sticky leftover from Tamiya tape on the cockpit of the Seahawk.....to be honest, I may have left it on a little longer than usual.

Anyway, tried a little WD-40 on a Q-Tip and it worked a treat - thanks all!

Dermot

• 5 years later...

I had the same issue last night with Tamiya Taoe that hadn't been on for very long, maybe a week or two, tops. Lots of residue left, which I hadn't encountered before.

I tried using some more Tamiya tape to remove the residue and it worked very well indeed. It has to be worth a try, as it's not an extreme method and there's little chance of things going pear-shaped.

• Like 1