Airfix Swordfish

Pompey

Looks beautiful. Haven't seen one yet here in colonial Vancouver, Canada. Will have to add it to my older Airfix/Frog/Matchbox Swordfishes.

Airfix is really challenging me in not buying retail when the kit first comes out, what with their 1/72 Canberra, Hawk 75, Zero, F-86 ....Arrrgh. Someone's wallet is going to get a hurt'in...

peter

Looks beautiful. Haven't seen one yet here in colonial Vancouver, Canada. Will have to add it to my older Airfix/Frog/Matchbox Swordfishes.

Airfix is really challenging me in not buying retail when the kit first comes out, what with their 1/72 Canberra, Hawk 75, Zero, F-86 ....Arrrgh. Someone's wallet is going to get a hurt'in...

peter

I could only hope for a modern Airfix Hawk 75 ;-)

I'm looking forward to building the Hawk 81 though, it looks like a gem.

Those of you thinking of buying one - they seem to be flying off the shelves, so don't delay too long! I picked up Wonderland's last one in Edinburgh yesterday. [EDIT] - been back in today and they have more - phew! [/EDIT]

I'm sat in a hotel and its supposed to be an Xmas pressy, so have only had a brief look, but it does appear to be very good especially the cockpit. I doubt that it will be a beginners build, but for those who twitch at biplanes, the arrangments for aligning the struts look to have been well thought out to make life easy.

FredT :)

Edited by gengriz

Now we should pray they release Blenheim, Battle and Lysander. And Beaufighter. And good Spitfire V. And Hurricane I.

There's a Blenheim on the air show circuit and their old one isn't in the catalogue. I suspect we'll be getting one sooner rather than later. You can get a Va out of the IIa boxing.

There's rumour of a new Defiant next year but Airfix could do no worse than rebox the MPM one, which is a cracking little kit.

The Swordfish is easily the best kit Airfix have released yet in 72nd, the equal of anything Hasegawa could do. As for the Airfix haters, surely this well and truly pisses on their chips?

I HATE Airfix!!! Hmm, this vinegar tastes a bit funny..... :D

Just picked up the Stringbag, & it looks a little gem. Only thing I would have liked - but didn't expect to get - would have been a rigging diagram. I have the Warpaint plans & plenty of piccies, but am finding it difficult to work out all the rigging - especially in the cabane strut area. Anyone know of any rigging diagrams on line perchance?

I think I may just start this one next, it looks too good to leave in the box!!

Keef

I have the Warpaint plans & plenty of piccies, but am finding it difficult to work out all the rigging - especially in the cabane strut area. Anyone know of any rigging diagrams on line perchance?

Keef

I think there was one with the Revell kit. I'll try to dig it out and bring it to the next meeting - as long as you bring your Stringbag, of course.

Actually, now you mention it, I think I may have one with my Tamiya Stringbag....

K

After a bit of crawling around in my attic I have located the Revell instructions. There is a rigging diagram of sorts. Frankly it could have been a little clearer. The instructions for the Tamiya kit may be a better bet.

There's a Blenheim on the air show circuit and their old one isn't in the catalogue. I suspect we'll be getting one sooner rather than later. You can get a Va out of the IIa boxing.

There's rumour of a new Defiant next year but Airfix could do no worse than rebox the MPM one, which is a cracking little kit.

The Swordfish is easily the best kit Airfix have released yet in 72nd, the equal of anything Hasegawa could do. As for the Airfix haters, surely this well and truly pisses on their chips?

Love it Wookie, I bet there is some tool on HS with the micrometer out looking for the slightest error! I looks great to me, going to my local Modelzone to get the first of several tomorrow.

Nick

I take it that you meant to say: "Airfix could do worse than rebox the MPM one"?

I've got it (well, several) in my stash and I agree. A really nice kit.

/Joachim

Love it Wookie, I bet there is some tool on HS with the micrometer out looking for the slightest error! I looks great to me, going to my local Modelzone to get the first of several tomorrow.

Nick

It's a lovely kit, but if there are any errors I want to know about them and decide if I want to fix them/can live with them (i.e. too minor or too difficult to fix!)

Just got mine today at LHS - (-10% after showing the Airfix club card!) and it looks really good.

Once a decent rigging diagram is found - whats the best stuff to (attempt to!) rig it with?

That's a question - most have their own methods. My choice is lycra thread, darkened with a sharpie marker. You cut a lenth slightly shorter than you need, fix one end with super glue then when set stretch it slightly t the other attachment point.