Airfix Swordfish

Pompey

I totally agree with all the positive reactions so far. I have had some test shot sprues and was knocked out by the quality of the moulding, accuracy and detail but the best bit is the way it goes together - fantastic design work; the three-part fuselage will need no filler at all. The kit also includes the extra fuel tank fitted for the Taranto raid.

We (Pheon Models) are releasing a set of colourful pre-war decals very soon and wartime decals for the MkI will follow. There will also be resin and etched parts for the Mk II (new lower wings and oil cooler and etched ASV aerials), and for the MkIII additional parts for the radome between the u/c legs and radar operators cockpit cover. Rockets and rails for these will be available as well, as a separate set. There will also be further decals for these two marks. The Resin parts are being done by Brian Fawcett, who designed the MDC 48th Swordfish - so he knows his stuff! and Pheon will be responsible for the etched parts and decals.

More details as we have them....

Mrs T had promised me one for Xmas (its on order at the LMS).

Ive just shown her this thread she has offered to get 2 - so I can do one folded/shiny pre war and one spread/sewage & slime.

I also still have the floats from the FROG kit in the spares box- maybe 3 would be a better idea ! :)

FredT :)

Looks like Mrs T is a keeper!!!

Treat her right and she'll keep you supplied with kits for life.

She sure is ! This is the lady who struggled back home on the bus in the snow last year with a Sea Vixen, obtained without prompting by telling Bath Model Centre that it was a new Airfix kit, something naval and cost about £35 ! :wub:

Got mine today as well from Airfix.com - excellent service once the stock had made it's way from the warehouse to the internet dispatch area- Just got to work out how to rig it now.

In the meantime, has anybody noticed that the kit even includes an separate optional starting handle?

Got mine today as well from Airfix.com - excellent service once the stock had made it's way from the warehouse to the internet dispatch area- Just got to work out how to rig it now.

In the meantime, has anybody noticed that the kit even includes an separate optional starting handle?

Got mine today too! Can't stop drooling over it, it's luvverllee!

Wez

Just seen from Hannants on the update emails they send out that they're to release an Xtradecals set X72144 with decals for 8 planes late January. Hmmm, thats yet another Xtradecals set coming out that I might just NEED. ;)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Just a note regarding the colour of pre-war Swordfish. These were neither overall light grey or silver. The colours were Cerrux Grey on the metal components and Aluminium (silver) dope on the fabric areas. The tones of these are very close and it it often impossible on many pictures to see the difference. 'Fleet Air Arm Camouflage and Markings' Stuart Lloyd and Ian Huntley articles.

Mmm, the 1951 option on the Hannants sheet sounds interesting - I want to do the Arbroath Station Flight one, but another post war aircraft (and an RAF unit if I recall correctly) is intruiging......

Where have they listed the options? I'm quite keen on doing some pre-war versions but a 1951 option sounds interesting.

Wez

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72144

Fairey Swordfish Mks. I/II/III (8) 4A 815 NAS Lt.Cdr K. Will iamson HMS Illustrious Taranto 11/12 November 1940; K6011/901 822 NAS 1938; LS495 810 NAS RNAS Coimbatore with fuselage graffiti; LS724/IF 818 NAS China Bay, Ceylon 1944; NF119/X 'Black Mischief' 819 NAS Knocke-le-Zoute 1944; Serial unknown/AR8L Station Flight RNAS Ronaldsway 1944; NF839 Aircraft Torpedo Development Unit, White Waltham 1951; NE941 2B-M 1944.

Not sure about the black on the Taranto aircraft - be interesting to hear the experts view

Well they were only one letter off...and they are adjacent on the keyboard. Entirely understandable! An easy mistake anyone could make. At least they got his rank right.

Can you tell I'm feeling forgiving since Airfix has produced such a beaut of a kit?

I don't normally build 72nd, but every fellow modeller that I have spoken to is quite ecstatic about it. I may have to invest in one and hope and pray that Airfix upgrade it to 48th - then I can finally do one from HMS Jackdaw at Crail. I already know the colour of the mud for the tyres !!.

Dennis W Robinson