F51D...Just one after all....TOUCHDOWN!...Italeri 1/72nd

Kev1n

here we go.....this one....courtesy of Obi-Jiff Kit Distribution Services Inc.

...but I'll build it :)...and in RAF colours, since it has decals for RAF colours....

camcardDec10_2011017.jpg

camcardDec10_2011014.jpg

camcardDec10_2011020.jpg

camcardDec10_2011018.jpg

and I was wondering....

can anybody advise me on the wire aerial; did it really go through the canopy as shown on the box art, and since I've never tried this before, if it does,

whats the best way of doing it (and yes I know 'drill a hole'....but like I said, never tried that before so any tips would be appreciated) ?

camcardDec10_2011019a.jpg

more l8erz :)

Edited by kev1n

let the search begin then......altho since it's going to the RAF, that might make a difference....it would look pretty cool with an aerial going through the canopy like that, I dont have any issues with the aerial itself, just the drilling thru' the canopy part - thats the bit I havent tried before....

the drilling thru' the canopy part.

Drill through a patch of masking tape in case of slippage.

Start with a tiny tiny drill making a depression to help you centre the larger drill.

Withdraw to clear the swarf regularly. If it jams you can crack the canopy.

Go very very slowly, especially when you are about to come out of the other side.

(Some say you should drill half way from each side but I think the difficulty of

lining things up exactly makes this impractical.)

Good luck.

He's right, that's exactly how I would do it too. But I' would check to see if that particular machine had the wire HF aerial... Not certain if all RAF 'Ks' had them.

Ian

- Co-host, Britmodeller 2011 P-51 STGB -

• 1 month later...

ok then....actually I've had a change of mind.....

I now have this as well -

mustangkits1001.jpg

mustangkits1003.jpg

mustangkits1004.jpg

so this one will go in RAF c/s....

I have no idea how accurate the kit is but I'll build it just as it comes, if it's s decent build then I'm happy

The Italeri kit I will do in USAF markings, as supplied

(and send the RNZAF to Paul.....)

so; off to look at pics and anything I can find to check if the aerial was actually fitted to USAG P51D's....

:)

edit - damn typos.....

Edited by kev1n

The Novo kit is generally accurate in outline and shape, it's just lacking the refinement we've all come to expect from more modern toolings. I bought one with the intention of building it for this GB, but I've shelved that plan for now.

Mark.

well....the novo kit seems to capture the shape etc well enough for an early mustang and one benefit of it being an older style kit is that with less parts it should be quicker to build....

NovoMustang001.jpg

NovoMustang002.jpg

note - I did say *should*....

the fuse went together ok but the design of the wing fit is wierd....

It slides under the intake and is supposed to slot into place - it doesnt. Not very well anyway and the fit is very poor, so....

NovoMustang004.jpg

Having glued the top of the wing halves on, I had to remove them to do some hacking and sawing before putting them on again and improving the fit.

A fair bit of filler would have been needed anyway so a bit more isnt making a lot of difference...

NovoMustang005.jpg

so thats where I am.....

I'll start on the Italeri kit now

hopefully the filler will have settled and I'll sand it all tonight, in between the other one and various other builds I have to keep me busy, but with a bit of luck, the novo kit will be more or less done in a couple of days.

famous last words......

here's the italeri kit up to the same point as the novo kit....

same problem with the fit of the wings; I dont much like kits that have a complete wing that slots into the underneath of the fuselage,

I've built a few now, and I havent found one yet that fits right..."sigh"....it's not the hardest thing to fix but it is annoying

actually the fit generally isnt brilliant, so a fair bit of filler needed, but I'm getting there

italeriP51DMustang004.jpg

italeriP51DMustang003-1.jpg

italeriP51DMustang002-1.jpg

Edited by kev1n

ok then....actually I've had a change of mind.....

The Italeri kit I will do in USAF markings, as supplied

(and send the RNZAF to Paul.....)

edit - damn typos.....

Re RNZAF decals.....Still waiting....

• 3 weeks later...

ok then....

after a multitude of sessions filling and sanding and tweaking to get things to fit, here we are....#

ItaleriMustang004.jpg

ItaleriMustang005.jpg

some small details to do, fit the cockpit canopy tonight, decal it, and it will be done :)

I hope...

I'm not going to finish the Novo one by Sunday so that will have to wait - but if I dont hit any more problems, this one should be done....

well.....almost there....

I have an issue witrh the prop and spinner (surprise suprise) If I over come that, it will be done tonight, early tomorrow so the finished model

will be done by the deadline....

I hope...

yesterday's progress -

ItalerimustangMarch22012002.jpg

ItalerimustangMarch22012001.jpg

oh...and this also assumes no problems with the rest of the decals....I'm a bit worried about the yellow stripes going on ok....

we'll see what later brings, so still hoping

I have no idea how accurate the kit is...

Thanks for posting the sprue shots of the Frog/Novo Mustang - I have often wondered what it is like.

Unfortunately, it looks like it suffers the same problem as most early marque 1/72 Mustang kits, which is the inclusion of P-51D style leading edge fillets. This is not an impossible problem to fix (I did it on my Italeri P-51A) but fiddly and should really be unnecessary if the kit manufacturers had done their homework.

These would be the bits on the front of the wing that angle forward on the inboard part of the wing?

How about posting a fix since I wouldnt know otherwise :)....but then I'm dim anyway.

However....on the good side, one completed Italeri Mustang....

Can't honestly say I enjoyed this; too many fit problems, too much filling and sanding, and the spinner still isnt right so it's a temporary installation for now...

I'll fix it permanantly some other time.....meanwhile; comments and observations, both praise and critique, welcome

(it's how I learn....and my ego needs feeding anyway...)

Italerimustangcomplete003.jpg

Italerimustangcomplete002.jpg

more pics in the completed builds gallery....

Edited by kev1n