Special Hobby Nakajima Ki-27 Nate

spitfire

Looking real good. Resist the Dark Side :clown: , may The Force ® be with you Den!

I'm trying but I'm starting to think about SCC2 and Caunter schemes, it's all very tempting !

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by spitfire

• 1 month later...

Well I fought off the dark side (for a while) and on with the Nate, however DIY duties meant that I have been house bashing for a while, so the modelling has been rather neglected.

The underside was masked off, and the upper side painting started.

When I first started this build Nick Millman very kindly sent me all sorts of fascinating information on the likely paint schemes, it seemed to boil down to a 2 colour or a 3 colour scheme, the aircraft were camouflaged in the field, the 3 colour scheme would have used two extra colours with the original all over #1 Hairyokushoku incorporated in the upper pattern, the 2 colour scheme would use 2 colours on the upper camouflage pattern. Both scheme would have the original underside colours. However there is no hard and fast evidence for either scheme, so I went for the 2 colour scheme shown on the box art as it was the one that initially persuaded me to buy the kit. However I am a mug for odd paint schemes so the information may come in handy one day, there's still a 3 colour G55 scheme that tickles my fancy.

Nick also very kindly offered me some matches and recipes for Japanese colours, the likely upper colours that I selected were:

#21Midori Iro (Deep Green), one of the paints considered as "not bad" was WEM ACJ05 Nakajima Army Green, as WEM Colourcoats are one of my favourite brands of paint this is the one I went for.

#31 Chakasshoku Tea Brown Colour, the match for this was Humbrol 186, however I have never had any luck airbrushing Humbrol paints, so I looked for an alternative and found one in MM 1701 Military Brown, a paint chip of each was made and compared with the old eyeball Mk 1 and they seemed to match, so I went ahead and used the MM paint.

This was the result.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I don't like rough matt finishes so out came the micro mesh sheets and nail buffers and the paint was smoothed off, however this showed up a seam on the nose.

spacer.png

So I tried for the easy fix using Mr Surfacer.

spacer.png

This did not work and the area was cleaned off, a fillet of CA applied and the area was sanded smooth

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by spitfire
Replaced Photobucket photos

Nice to see this one back on the bench and taking on colour. Close to the finish so keep at it fella.

I'm starting to get back into this build and I am determined to crack on with it.

Cheers

Dennis

Excellent Dennis - we want to see this one done! :)

Looking ace BTW!

Iain

Hi Iain, it is gathering momentum now, plus I've finished all the house bashing jobs.

Cheers

Dennis

Time for paint, so out with the White Tac and the paper, very straightforward this one so it was completed fast., well fast by my standards.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And on with the paint, in this case WEM Colourcoats ACJ05 Nakajima Army Green, I wanted to add some white to the final coat just to add some variety to the finish but ended up adding too much, so then I had to add more green, then more thinners, then it was still too light, so more green and more thinners, but I got there in the end ! The aircraft were newly repainted so I'm not going for the ready for the scrap man look.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by spitfire

• 6 months later...

It's been quite some time since I left this one on the shelf, I don't like decals anymore so decided to paint all the markings, the Hinomarus are very simple I just measured the decals and cut out some masks from some 40mm Tamiya tape, the fuselage bands again were a simple masking job (just white and yellow). However what stopped me was the tail markings, I could not find a yellow to match the kit decals, I found 10 different yellows in my paint collection but none of them matched up, so I would be left with the yellow of the fuselage stripe being different to the tail marking yellow, I was stumped so on the "pending" shelf it went for quite some time.

Then I asked Mal at Miracle paint masks to make up some masks for the tail, these duly arrived and I was very pleased with them, so everything was masked and away we went.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And away we went, the Hinomaru's went on great using WEM Colourcoats ACJ20, the white fuselage stripe went on well using X141, but the yellow that I had chose was addled when I opened the tin, so I used another yellow which was not quite the one I wanted.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by spitfire

And finally it's finished, in the photos the tail and fuselage band look a bit green but in real life they are not, I can't say that I am 100% pleased with this one but at least it got finished, and it's now safely in the cabinet.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by spitfire
  • Like 1

Thank you guys for the kind words, don't get me wrong apart from the canopy this is a pretty good kit, the mistakes were all mine not the kits, maybe one day I will get it out and re do it.

Cheers

Dennis