Revell Halifax Options

Mike M

What additional options are given in the parts, that is does it have the full set as shown in the pre-release sprue photos? Namely the additional ability to do Mk.I, Mk.II series 1(Spec), and Mk.V? Are the spinners for the 4-blade props better than those for the 3-blade? OK, I shall know in a day or so myself, but....

Our review sample arrived this morning and is off to Paul for a speed-review tomorrow. I didn't want to spoil his excitement by opening the box, but it's a pretty heavy box, so it looks like you'll get plenty of plastic in there ^_^

Now I need to find a suitable God of Modelling to pray to in the hope they bump it up a scale :pray:

Thanks: it does look as though the other variants are not present, so we can expect them in a second issue some time ahead. I can see the Mk.I radiators, marked do not use, but not the Z fairing nor the Mk.V undercarriage (may be wrong about that - oh to get my hands on mine). There are the final exhausts which I intend to pinch for a part-completed SOE aircraft - good. I still can't quite make out just how many turrets are provided....there seem to be an excess.

There has been much discussion about the top colours of these GR Halifaxes: yes the official instructions had changed to just EDSG uppers but photographs show two different shades on the top of the fuselage so it seems that they had not been repainted to match the requirement. Looking at this particular aircraft in Merrick's book, there are darker areas along the spine and the engine cowlings.

Edited by Graham Boak

it does look like there's an optional part for the mk V undercarriage in the sprue lay out: part 211.

the 3-bladed props look very strange (far too much like late lancaster paddle blades)

Notice also the cut-out in the rear fuselage aft of the bomb bay ? As to the C.C. version, if you can find anyone who bought the re-release of the old Matchbox kit, you'll find markings for another C.C. Halifax on the new decal sheet

Ken

Great! I really want the BII Series 1A but assumed it would be in the second release and the first would be a BI/BII.

Does anyone know if a standard BII Srs 1A can be built from this? I assume they're very similar to the GRII?

I much prefer the look of the later nose/square fin.

Really looking forward to this now.

Stuart

One interesting thing I noticed was that the wing bomb bay doors are deeply scribed on the inside presumably to allow them to be cut out to display open and the inside of the upper wing has rib detail over them. So maybe a later issue will have the inner walls and ordinance to load in them. Supply canisters for a special ops version would make for interesting model!

Re B Mk.II series 1a: the simple answer would be yes, but the designation contains a few traps. It was not officially linked to the new nose, despite the service usage. If it followed the normal pattern for a new mark, logically it would be linked to the fitting of Merlin 22 engines, but officially it was the Morris block radiators. This is as on the option for the GR Mk.II. In practice, apparently these engines could appear with the older style of radiators, as on the B Mk.II series 1 option. This means you can have a range of different appearances, including the older fins. In Bombing Colours, Mike Bowyer had a page of examples from Middleton St George (including Croft?) where every profile showed a different shape.

The bomber would not normally have the four-bladed props nor a 0.5 Browning in the nose, but would otherwise be like the GR variant. With the qualifications above. The answer is "work from photos" and "know your subject", as all too often in modelling.

PS a complete set of 15 supply containers are available from Heritage. This will free more bombs for a more representative full load.

Edited by Graham Boak

There has been much discussion about the top colours of these GR Halifaxes: yes the official instructions had changed to just EDSG uppers but photographs show two different shades on the top of the fuselage so it seems that they had not been repainted to match the requirement. Looking at this particular aircraft in Merrick's book, there are darker areas along the spine and the engine cowlings.

As I like the two colour uppersurfaces more, I'm happy to hear that the instructions are right and I was wrong !

I can see the Mk.I radiators, marked do not use, but not the Z fairing nor the Mk.V undercarriage (may be wrong about that - oh to get my hands on mine).

Graham,

On the sprue that has the main undercarriage legs on it there are two types, one labelled 101 and another, shaded option labelled 211 - looks like you get both types of main undercarriage!

Looking forward to doing a Coastal Command aircraft myself.

Is there an H2S fairing?

Looking at the sprue layout a Hercules engined version is on the cards! I hope so, I need one for my 100 Group collection.

Wez

Edited by Wez

it does look like there's an optional part for the mk V undercarriage in the sprue lay out: part 211.

the 3-bladed props look very strange (far too much like late lancaster paddle blades)

That's what we were saying before. Though on the top drawing of the B MkII 405 sqdn, the diagram of the propellor looks like it's been drawn more accurately.

Edited by SeaVenom

Wez et al: Excellent, now to discover if they can be transplanted onto a part-finished Matchbox which will become a glider tug. (OK, I'm sure they CAN, but easily?)

Giorgio: The weather aircraft seem to have always had the single EDSG upper coat. The pictures of the GRs seem to have the two colours, but we could do with a few more pictures!

I remember searching for a Hercules variant in the Coastal scheme, but the only one I ever found was an A Mk.9 in a weather unit. Given the range of possible Coastal (and Bomber) schemes in the period, I find it perverse that the RAF's last unit, the Met Mk.VIs out of Gibraltar, retained wartime Bomber Command colours into the fifties! But I think we are some way away from a Revell kit for those aircraft.

Edited by Graham Boak

The Y3 code is of 518 Sq., which became 202 Sq. postwar. There were Met Mk.IIIs built, or perhaps converted, and operated by 518 (and others) but there don't seem to be any pictures. The postwar Mk.VIs were, from available photos, all in BC colours. That site has a habit of presenting profiles in generic form, as the aircraft would have been, rather than based on actual evidence. The Q code letter is not given in the aircraft listed in All the other squadrons... I believe this example is generic/wishful thinking, though I'd like to be proven wrong.

The GR units, 58 and 502, also had Mk.IIIs by 1945 but then were operating at night in mainly Norwegian waters, so were in the BC black camouflage.

I`ve just picked up the new Revell Halibag and there are four different exhaust options, the Mk.V undercarriage is included and there are enough parts including parachute hatch and glider yoke to build an Airborne Forces A.Mk.V........Yippee!! There is no Z Nose fairing which was a surprise and the propellers are certainly `different' and nothing like the correctly drawn examples on the decal instructions so I hope that Aeroclub will be re releasing their white metal prop sets?

The bomb doors are also represented as single items per side rather than being split, so they will need cutting up if modelling them open or at least re scribing if they are left closed. The H2S fairing is included and there are two large Boulton Paul twin gun mid upper turrets, which are not too bad and look like they may be somewhere near the correct shape, ie not completely round in plan view, but longer and more pinched in at the front where the guns project out. For some reason there are two of the very similar nose turrets too, so my Italeri Hudson will be receiving one of these!

There are a few `silly' mistakes, such as the props and bomb bay doors but all in all it looks like a fabulous kit and it is light years ahead of anything which has come before! I just wish that they would issue new wings and engines for the Hercules engined versions asap and maybe even the Bomb Bay cargo pannier if we are very lucky,.....nice one Revell and thank you for releasing such a nice kit of this fabulous aircraft!

All the best

Tony O

I`ve just picked up the new Revell Halibag and there are four different exhaust options, the Mk.V undercarriage is included and there are enough parts including parachute hatch and glider yoke to build an Airborne Forces A.Mk.V........Yippee!! There is no Z Nose fairing which was a surprise and the propellers are certainly `different' and nothing like the correctly drawn examples on the decal instructions so I hope that Aeroclub will be re releasing their white metal prop sets?

The bomb doors are also represented as single items per side rather than being split, so they will need cutting up if modelling them open or at least re scribing if they are left closed. The H2S fairing is included and there are two large Boulton Paul twin gun mid upper turrets, which are not too bad and look like they may be somewhere near the correct shape, ie not completely round in plan view, but longer and more pinched in at the front where the guns project out. For some reason there are two of the very similar nose turrets too, so my Italeri Hudson will be receiving one of these!

There are a few `silly' mistakes, such as the props and bomb bay doors but all in all it looks like a fabulous kit and it is light years ahead of anything which has come before! I just wish that they would issue new wings and engines for the Hercules engined versions asap and maybe even the Bomb Bay cargo pannier if we are very lucky,.....nice one Revell and thank you for releasing such a nice kit of this fabulous aircraft!

All the best

Tony O

Thanks for the round-up Tony, I've got one of these on my Christmas/Birthday list so fingers crossed.

Stupid me - just noticed the H2S fairing on the decal/painting guide for the GR.II :doh:

Wez

Edited by Wez

The Z nose fairing was on the sprues as shown pre-release, but I must admit to not seeing the Joe hatch (missing the glider hitch is more forgivable, I feel). From a quick look I still can't see the semi-circular lip but I'll have my own soon to fiddle with.

This rather suggests a B Mk.I and a B Mk.II series 1(Special) as a second release, with a set of Mk.Vs as a third? Or is the Z nose to come on a Mk.V bomber? There are lots of options possible.

One query does arise - is there an option for the high mounting of the early 4-gun dorsal turret, those off Defiants rather than built for the job? No matter how many options Revell have provided, there are bound to be others.

Hmm, a Hudson with a BP Type C nose turret. That'd be different. Are you going to add a spare Halifax bomb-aimer's transparency underneath? I think it might need rebalancing with perhaps the longer Lodestar tail.

But to be serious, how about the 4-blade props? Are they better, and do their spinners look OK?

The Z nose fairing was on the sprues as shown pre-release, but I must admit to not seeing the Joe hatch (missing the glider hitch is more forgivable, I feel). From a quick look I still can't see the semi-circular lip but I'll have my own soon to fiddle with.

This rather suggests a B Mk.I and a B Mk.II series 1(Special) as a second release, with a set of Mk.Vs as a third? Or is the Z nose to come on a Mk.V bomber? There are lots of options possible.

One query does arise - is there an option for the high mounting of the early 4-gun dorsal turret, those off Defiants rather than built for the job? No matter how many options Revell have provided, there are bound to be others.

Pity about the Z nose fairing. Looks like I may have to wait for a second release before I do my 1943 "Shiny 10" MkII.

I'm sure Aeroclub did a vacform Z nose - if we didn't have builders in I could get to my stash to check I've got one. You could try a PM to JohnAero to see if it is still available,

Ross