Anyone want a new 1/48 Supermarine Spiteful Mk 14 ?

JohnT

• 2 months later...

Light gull gray for the underside of the temperate land scheme ... ? Oh well, if there's a Seafang in the offing too, I might go for that. Cos there's no dispute over Sky undersides, is there? :whistle:

"Seafang" ... not the naming department's finest hour, was it?

Edited by pigsty

Look at the undercarriage! Again, not changed at all. At least it's an opportunity for John Adams! Or Ian at Heritage.

Why post stuff for comment and then take none of it on board? Are these people stupid?

The Dutch what if markings are interesting, bearing in mind that they were *very* close to buying the Seafang.

I'll still get one, although I may wait a while.

Look at the undercarriage! Again, not changed at all. At least it's an opportunity for John Adams! Or Ian at Heritage.

Why post stuff for comment and then take none of it on board? Are these people stupid?

The Dutch what if markings are interesting, bearing in mind that they were *very* close to buying the Seafang.

I'll still get one, although I may wait a while.

I'm still got a load of Silver Cloud Seafang metal bits left over, the plastic wasn't nice but the legs might be useful? I see a business opportunity before me....

Colin

Did Chris Gannon get the u/c right, though? The tail surfaces were all to cock with the Silver Cloud Spiteful. They weren't Spitfire 18 or proper Spiteful ones, but some horrible halfway house. Which he also did on the 72nd Pegasus ones too.

I'll take a set or three, certainly!

"Seafang" ... not the naming department's finest hour, was it?

My thoughts entirely. They must have considered "Sea Spiteful" out of the question for some reason, thought I think Spiteful is itself a bit of a daft name. It would have been a bit like Hawker naming their successor to the Hurricane as the Hawker Horrible. Presumably they thought the name should contain the word "Spit" as a link to its predecessor. In which case perhaps they thought it should be Seaf...something. Anything...

Anyway, whatever the silly name they are kits I could be interested in.

I think you're being a little harsh, since the test shot of the fuselage showed a large scooped-out area behind the pilot's head, which has now been eradicated, and they'd planned to fit a Spitfire-style cockpit, and it now has side consoles, which are correct.

The u/c legs don't look too far out, to my eyes, either:-

Spiteful6.jpg

Looks nice and I'll probably buy one but it does seem a very odd choice of subject for Trumpeter.

We hope and pray for things like an AMX or a Viggen that ought to be have real commercial potential and Trumpeter decide to do the Sefang and the Spiteful, which few outside the UK will ever have heard of. Will they do an MB5 next? Or maybe a Vickers Windsor?

Confused of London.

Looks nice and I'll probably buy one but it does seem a very odd choice of subject for Trumpeter.

It is the company of odd choices - the Wyvern being perhaps the prime example. Having said that, the company does seem to have a soft spot for FAA aircraft, so the Seafang at least fits in reasonably there.

My thoughts entirely. They must have considered "Sea Spiteful" out of the question for some reason, thought I think Spiteful is itself a bit of a daft name. It would have been a bit like Hawker naming their successor to the Hurricane as the Hawker Horrible

How about the Miles Miserable B***ard... ? :wicked:

How about the Miles Miserable B***ard... ? :wicked:

What about a Mustang replacement ccalled the North American Nasty? Or perhaps a Percival Petulent?

Sorry, this is starting to look like a hijacking of the thread.

Sprue shots look nice, don't they? As well as being the company of odd choices Trumpeter were also the company of the rivet. I'm glad to see they appear to have restrained themselves. That won't stop people from adding them to the smoothly streamlined fuselage and laminar flow wing and being applauded for it, but it will be their choice.

• 4 weeks later...

Mmm...decals for RB518. That was the one which set the record. It was a developmental F.16 with a Griffon 101 engine, very much a cobbled together aircraft. Eventually it was fitted with a Griffon 121 and a variety of props before being written off in a crash.

The others weren't so fast, though they were good for 470 or better...

By the way, I think the spinner shape is a bit off:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm..._view_c1945.jpg

Not an incurable problem though.

Edited by J.D.

• 4 weeks later...

I got mine in today...

SpitefulBoxArt.jpg

The main landing gear bays are much too shallow too:

SpitefulxDetails5.jpg

Last, nowhere on the instructions is it made clear that the foreign markings are fictional.

Regards,

It is the company of odd choices - the Wyvern being perhaps the prime example. Having said that, the company does seem to have a soft spot for FAA aircraft, so the Seafang at least fits in reasonably there.

Maybe they might give us a 1/48 Scimitar then???