Tamiya 1/48 P-51B "Ill Wind?"

Hi all,

Well the group build is finally here - and I have all my goodies ready for destruction.....

I will be building a Tamiya P51B Mustang with some aftermarket stuff - namely Decals, Photo etch (Eduard Zoom) ((Never used etch before - Oh dear)) and some Eduard paint masks...

The P51B is one as flown by Captain Nicholas Megura who was with the 334th FS in April 1944 - the aircraft is named - "Ill Wind?"

There are some pictures below of all my goodies - all sprues bagged etc ready for me to make a complete mess of...

The Box......

SAM_0536.jpg

The goodies Inside:

SAM_0537.jpg

And the Sprues all bagged up:

SAM_0538.jpg

Please note everybody this is the first time i have posted ANYTHING of my builds anywhere - I really am a newbie so please keep your expectations low!!!!!

I have never done etch before, used paint masks etc - So please be gentle - No doubt I will be asking all you guys for help!!!!

Any advice or general tips in advance would be much appreciated

Later

Tuco :winkgrin:

PS Due to this starting just weeks before Christmas I doubt I will get anything done until the New Year - (Or until i summon up the courage to)

Edited by tinytuco

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Well I have finally found the time, and plucked up the courage to start this build!!!!

But already I'm having difficulty and a couple of issues with the eduard photo etch set (eduard zoom) I have for the kit... I would be really appreciative for any help on this... (its the first time i have ever used etch)

1)In the instructions it says that the colour used on parts is Gunze Interior H351

Obviously I need the paint to match these parts- but I cant find any reference to Gunze H351 - or any suitable matches for it!!! - I have used many resources online for colour matching but cant find any match

Does anybody in the know have any idea what colour (preferable from vallejo or tamiya) I need to use for my cockpit to match the photo etch parts..

2) - the instructions have a question mark over 2 of the lap belts for a square part that needs to be fitted - (pic below) what is rather cumbersome "square part" and does it need to be fitted??

SAM_0566.jpg

Any help would be much much appreciated

Thanks

Tuco

Edited by tinytuco

Hey Tuco,

I believe that ? piece is the chaffing guard that was on the lap harnesses. It should be a leather color and was just a leather square to prevent the metal parts from rubbing against their areas during the flight. HTH a little. Not sure why they put the ? by the part though...

Hi Tuco,

Firstly, I have used the zoom set for my D model, and although there was a difference in the shades of the interior green, I wasn't too fussed about getting both spot on, as it gave a nice variation in the cockpit. Tamiya don't do an interior green straight out of the pot - you have to mix their green/yellow. The ratio should be shown in your instructions. I think the Gunze number is H58 for something straight out of the pot.

HTH

Andy

Edited by AndyL

Thanks for all your help guys..

Yes the Tamiya instructions say mix xf3 2 parts and xf5 1 part - which looks pretty green!!!!

Below I have included a picture on the right is the tamiya mix above, and on the left is tamiya cockpit green - the photo etch is below - as you can see neither match the colour of the etch at all..

SAM_0570.jpg

The colour on the etch looks more like xf21 sky or xf76 gray green!!!

Maybe I am getting to hung up on this and should just paint the interior cockpit green and have done with it - but I want it to look right!!!

dunno what to do...

Thanks

Maybe I am getting to hung up on this and should just paint the interior cockpit green and have done with it - but I want it to look right!!!

dunno what to do...

Hey Tuco,

I'd definitely persist on this one. If I were you, I'd try adding some white to the first one as that looks close in hue, just a wee bit dark. So I'd try adding white to that and maybe even a little tan. I dunno, though, mixing paints can be tricky!

Watching this one for sure :popcorn:

Erik

Thanks for all your help guys..

Yes the Tamiya instructions say mix xf3 2 parts and xf5 1 part - which looks pretty green!!!!

Below I have included a picture on the right is the tamiya mix above, and on the left is tamiya cockpit green - the photo etch is below - as you can see neither match the colour of the etch at all..

SAM_0570.jpg

The colour on the etch looks more like xf21 sky or xf76 gray green!!!

dunno what to do...

Thanks

The Tamiya cockpit colour out of the bottle is there RAF cockpit colour, Gunze H58 is one of the best US cockpit colours straight from the bottle,

Don't try and match the Eduard colours they are totally wrong, I think they must have someone who is colour blind working for them sometimes

You do not have to use all the parts from the PE set, I normally only use the seat belts and instrument panel, if you wish to use the other parts from the PE set you could always re-paint them the correct colour

Thanks for all your input guys..

Yes Mike your right - I'm just going to use the instrument panel etc and the lap/seatbelts.....

That colour is completely wrong - if I match it will have a crap looking cockpit - (it will be crappy anyway comparing it to all your works of art)

I haven't however got access to gunze h58 - havent got time to wait on delivery from the far east....

Any Tamiya/Vallejo/acrylic color that will do?

There seem to be SOOOO many conflicting opinions about cockpit colour!!! My head is a spin of Zinc Chromate, cockpit green, xf4/xf5, mixes, Gunze h58 - Don't know where to start!!!!

( i want to build the first "proper" model of my life!!!!)

In the mean time I'm going to future and mask the canopy.... (joy)

Laterzz

That colour is completely wrong - if I match it will have a crap looking cockpit - (it will be crappy anyway comparing it to all your works of art)

I haven't however got access to gunze h58 - havent got time to wait on delivery from the far east....

Hey Tuco, in my builds, I usually use Model Master Acrylic Interior Green, which is a match to the FS color. I talked to someone who worked in the paint department at Model Master (a friend's mom) and she said almost all their historic colors now are direct matches to the FS numbers. If you want to see what it looks like, check it out here. The cockpit pictures are on the first page.

As to your cockpit being "crappy", I highly doubt that. One thing that might help in building is confidence! I'm sure that the cockpit, as well as the rest of the build will turn out great! Keep us updated and ask if you need anything!

Erik

Edited by erikmuntz

Thanks for all your input guys..

Yes Mike your right - I'm just going to use the instrument panel etc and the lap/seatbelts.....

There seem to be SOOOO many conflicting opinions about cockpit colour!!! My head is a spin of Zinc Chromate, cockpit green, xf4/xf5, mixes, Gunze h58 - Don't know where to start!!!!

( i want to build the first "proper" model of my life!!!!)

In the mean time I'm going to future and mask the canopy.... (joy)

Laterzz

If you want to use a Vallejo color there is the Model Air 71010 its there US Interior Green and its not a bad color

Edited by Mike Mcellaney

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

This one is going to be close!!!

Thought i would add a few pics of where I am with my build - ( I'm a lot further on than this - wheels, bombs all done fuselage closed)

But these are the pics I took of the cockpit before I closed the fuselage up - its going to be really tight as to whther I can get this finished... Fingers crossed.....

(Please keep your expectations low) - As for Photo Etch - it took me AGES to do it - and i don't think I have done the seatbelts properly - but you live and learn!!!!

Here you go....

SAM_0601.jpg

SAM_0594.jpg

All the best

Tiny :winkgrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Unfortunately I'm not going to meet the deadline for this groupbuild :(

I'm at a stage where the decals aren't even on - I started this way too late - (lesson very much learned)

Thanks to all the guys that helped, encouraged and advised me on my thread - much appreciated..

I will definitely finish this build - and i will put it up in the "ready for inspection" section..

As I'm a relatively new modeller - I gave myself too much to do - ie etch, scribing (both of which i havent done before) - plus I'm trying to make it perfect - when my current skillset just won't allow me to do it!!! not a good idea when your under a deadline.....

Note to Dave A - I used the prepainted photo etch - Maybe this is why they bent without paint chipping???

All the best