I'm in! 1/48 Harrier GR7

SaintsPhil

Phil,

Looking very good and a nice addition to the Harrier club.

Re decals - Stop. You're making me blush, plus there is a danger of over selling!

BTW any Harrier experts out there think the nozzle angle stencils are 1/72 scale in a 1/48 kit? If so, I will have to produce some better sized ones.

So close to being done!

After a lot of swearing trying to get the pylons to fit (any one else had issues with them or did I do something wrong??) and a bit leass swearing sticking the other odds and sods on, or to my hands (I HATE super glue - had to get that off my chest) here it is:

001-1.jpg

All that's left to do is finish the 4 BL755 and fit them, add some hi-viz strips to the FOD covers on the intake, glue the canopy in place and make the small drop down step the pops out when the canopy is open. I need to do the last bit as Aries obviously don't expect you to close the canopy and hide their lovely cockpit detail as it doesn't fit closed!

Graham, on the subject of the nozzle swing decals, I think you've right. They should come down over the fairing under the right side front nozzle but they don't so they must be undersized! I tried to take a picture to show what Graham's talking about but my Photography skills are sadly lacking (I blame the camera.....).

Next stop RFI

Phil

Phil

Here's a photo of the real thing ...

ZD327-032.jpg

so the angle indicator should be visible with the nozzles at any angle, including in the hover stop (98.5 degrees). So if the decals art sited as shown here, they should be visible in the zero position as well.

Interestingly, the nozzles look right size and shape on the kit, but seem slightly oversize when in the down position as they almost conflict with the fuel vent, which clearly they do not do in real life. Perhaps the vent is too high on the kit? Something is not quite right in my view, but i cannot work out what. Must be a trick of the camera angles?

Anyway, back to the thread ... looking good.

Nice work Phil keep saying I will get one looking at your build I think I will.

wellzy :headphones:

Glad I've inspired you! They're not without there flaws but the detail is superb!

Just take care putting it together, I would suggest following the build article in airfix model world from last year (I can't remember the issue but it had the GR9 on the front). Next time I build one I'll follow that as one of the reasons it ended up in the KUTA GB was I got fed up with it!!

• 3 weeks later...

Cracking job Phil! Really looks the part.

Can some one tell me what ARTF and KUTA stand for??

Kick Up The Ar$e. Mish's personal Group Build crusade to get us rabble acctually finishing models rather than leaving them cluttering up corners of the workbench while getting distracted by fresh kits.

Had to edit the ARTF bit as I was way out there :rolleyes:

Edited by Col.

Maybe we need an acronym section!

ARTF - Alkaline Removable Temporary Finish (a method of quickly applying a 'battle' finish to an aircraft, most famous would be the desert pink applied to Gulf war jets)

KUTA - kick up the ar3e!!

Yeah I should of guessed ARTF now you mention desert pink lol! Thank you :-)