I'm in! 1/48 Harrier GR7

SaintsPhil

I've been waiting for this GB to come round to finish this:

473bd83d.jpg

The revell boxing of the Has GR7 kit.

I built this a good 18 months ago as second kit back to the hobby, I got as far as it being pretty much built then had airbrush issues, mainly it was a naff eBay copy and I had no idea how to use one!!

I've now got an H&S Evo and think I know what I'm doing!!

I added an Aires pit

2771f15d.jpg

I made an ok job of it but I think I'll leave the canopy closed, I haven't modes it for the drop out steps anyway!

Originally she was going to be modelled as one of a pair, Lucy and Michelle the 2 lady's from Afghanistan! As the decals are hard to come by I think I'll keep them for the other 2 I've got stashed!!

So she'll now be finished as one of the GR7 that operated over the former Yugoslavia. I'll have a go at weathering the ARTF finish to show the Green underneath!

I'll hopefully get going later getting her prepped for paint and maybe stripping paint off the gear as I think I can do a better job now!

Hope I can get her done second time round!

Phil

Edited by SaintsPhil

Thanks for the encouragement!

Do it Mish, let the harriers takeover!

After spending yesterday evening sanding I think I've just about rescued my appalling filler job!

I just need to find some good references now for the jets in the Balkans, if anyone can help??

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

A small update to show I'm making progress!

98b0264a.jpg

Filler tidied up, some more added and sanded....repeated..

US style GPS antenna removed and replaced with UK style one, made from sprue!

71f17ee9.jpg

Vents drilled out in gun pods

3d468246.jpg

I was going to do something similar with shell case ejection holes but can't find a good pic of one to work out which bit to open!!

Lastly the US style formation strips on tail removed

51df352b.jpg

Still need to tackle the ones on the forward fuselage.

Not too much to show for few nights work!!

More soon hopefully!

Phil

Keep going phil, all the good prep you are doing now will be well worth it when the paint goes on and she really starts to come to life, this is about where the Harrier bugged me down aswell... model on through

Cheers

Graham

Update time!

Primer coats on, Mr Surfacer 1200 rattle can, fantastic stuff! Not much tidying up needed which is good news!!

I've spent the few days making these:

776b6502.jpg

Flightpath BL755 they're kits in their own right! Hopefully I made a good job of them, primer will tell me either way!

I've also had a go at adding the strengthening detail behind the rear nozzle. So far I've had 3 attempts and all 3 weren't right! One more thing to try before I give up!

Was aiming to paint before Xmas but with the distraction of detailing means it'll be after now!

Phil

Well more time spent on the BL755! I coated them in Mr Surfacer and they came up pretty well! I then added the braces to the top and rid to the nose, for the fuse, the second cost of Mr S is just drying now!!

I've also made progress on some bits,

Gear stripped and repainted

f7897a0e.jpg

Nozzles, rear hot nozzles to be dirtied up a bit once on the Jet

4c25a770.jpg

FOD covers, including HUD cover as I made a mess of the PE one! These are Steel beach covers and look very nice!

19ad2885.jpg

Finally I've had a go at the strengthening plate, present on all but very early RAF Harrier II. I gave up trying to represent the rivets. Maybe I'll try that on the next one I make!

5a3d2436.jpg

I'm off work now until 4th Jan so with any luck I'll make a big dent in this one!

Phil

Post the festivities I'm back at this one with the aim to get it pretty much done this week...

So far some preshading and some green sprayed on to alow me to add the peeling effect of the ARTF coming off!

27a75a7c.jpg

0dd1970d.jpg

Flash has turned the green an odd colour!

As I type this the first top coat is drying!

Another update might make it on tonight, otherwise tomorrow!

Phil

Might as well have saved all the pics for one post! Anyway top coats on

ef86fe48.jpg

b94b88c9.jpg

25462141.jpg

I'm quite happy with the warn ARTF flaking off, and in really happy with the paint fade, my camera, well the flash at least, doesn't show it that well!

Tomorrow gloss cost to seal, for tonight it's sat in the lounge with the log burner to cure the paint! (not too close to it though!)

Phil

Progress has slowed, while I locate all the decals I need!

Just to prove I'm working on it:

003smaller.jpg

Wasn't going to bother with an update, but I borrowed a better camera and want to try it out!

Unfortunately it shows up the imperfections, I have managed to trap loads of dust under the varnish! Not sure how as I cleaned it before hand...oh well plenty of weathering will cover it!

I have washed the panel lines with a grey wash, I figured with the few decals I will put on, it won't make much difference.

Phil

Another update!

Decals on and sealed with couple of coats of varnish

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

I've taken a few pics to show some of the decals, which are home made by Chocksaway, aka Graham, whose made some fantastic stencil decals for 2 tone green harriers, which this is under the ARTF!

Next up weathering! My favourite bit! On the subject of the panel wash I'll say this, firstly the pics don't show it as clear as it is, but I'm not sure where I sit on panel line washes yet, especially on Harriers as they hardly show in real life!

Phil