A left over from the Harrier GB

Graham77

At the end of the Harrier GB I had managed this much of the Harrier. In the background is a photo of the jet I am recreating (ish)

IMG_0904.jpg

Since then a number of decals have been added and The undercarriage and horizontal stabilizer have been added.

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1098-1.jpg

In the final pic you can see a motley crew sat on a sandpit with the jet in the background. This was the initial trials of Brimstone on the GR9 and to start things off the weapon is loaded on the launcher and then jettisoned from the jet into the sandpit. High speed camera footage is then analysed and the clever aero team were able to work out whether the store could be safely jettisoned in flight. My model hopefully will have the pit and the setup we had. Half the jet will be fully loaded with the trial Brimstone the other half over the pit. In order to place the jet over the pit the port outrigger was raised so she stood on the main gear and the starboard outrigger and then various configs of Brimstone were jettisoned into the pit. To finish this off I have the following to do

1) Central main gear needs to be lengthend and added, Port outrigger needs to be raised and all the pylons need adding, canopy needs finishing and adding, various doors underneath need adding and the aerials, pitots etc. Whole jet needs a very quick panel line wash and slight dirty up, for a harrier the jet was pretty clean.

2) Brimstones need painting in black and yellow. Here they are at present

IMG_0901.jpgIMG_0873.jpg

and attaching to the pylons

3) The bit I am struggling with is building the base with the pit, never done it and am busily reading diorama section on here for hints and tips watch this space.

Wow you made it this far, that's the long winded bit over hopefully now some speedy progress to completion

Cheers

Graham

Good to see this one here! I remember her from the GB!

You're right harriers taking over, I've got a sea Harrier to finsh too...

A good start for a base is a picture frame, you can buy just the frames from Hobbycraft amongst other places. I used a frame and sheet of plasticard to make a fairly decent base.

Phil

Good to see this one here! I remember her from the GB!

You're right harriers taking over, I've got a sea Harrier to finsh too...

A good start for a base is a picture frame, you can buy just the frames from Hobbycraft amongst other places. I used a frame and sheet of plasticard to make a fairly decent base.

Phil

Thanks for the tip I was planning on starting with a frame and making it a tiny bit deeper to sink the pit into it and then I'm into new territory. Someone else suggested using sandpaper sprayed in various greys and blacks to simulate the tarmac and plasticard for everything else. Right less typing and more building

Cheers

Graham

• 1 month later...

Have been slowly picking away at this taking as many tips from Phil as I could. The windscreen and undercarriage are now fixed and the pylons are now all finally on. The fit is a bit suspect on one or two of them but with a little filing here and there they all have finally sat down ok.

IMG_3318.jpg

IMG_3316.jpg

IMG_3320.jpg

IMG_3319.jpg

Back to the sketh pad now to try and work out the diorama setup now the jet is nearly there

Cheers

Graham

Looking at the pics has also pointed out a few areas that will need some attention but i'll get to that when I do some subtle weathering as the pics I have show the jet fairly clean during this particular trial, its OK Harrier fans it got dirty again as the trials continued returning to the more commonly seen weathered look.

• 2 weeks later...

Canopy now completed just needs a polish on the outside, anyone know if you can use micro sol on clear plastic without it doing anything funny to the clarity, i've been building this for ages and would hate to ruin the canopy trying to get the mdc decal to sit perfectly?

IMG_3347.jpg

Cheers for the comments and any advice

Graham