Box Art of the Year 2011

pigsty

Yes, folks, it's that time of the year again. As thoughts turn to Santa bringing nice stuff, and then to wondering how he can stuff model kits down chimneys without the plastic melting, it's time to look back over the boxes that the year's releases came in. What was your favourite box art of the year? Remember, it doesn't matter what was inside, or how easy it was to build, or even how much it cost. The only rule is that it must have been issued during 2011.

For me, Ukraine has done well this year. My favourite by far is this - a gorgeous piece of atmospheric painting that really captures a typical summer's day (!):

rod_uc-43_cover.jpg

However, this comes up in an honourable second place. Not exactly dynamic, but then it probably shouldn't be; just a nice bit of realistic paintwork that makes the subject seem almost as though you can reach out and touch it:

1313142228_mercedes_g4.jpg

So, over to the BM crowd. What was your highlight before you opened the box? Plus, any nominations for worst art of the year? :wicked:

This took me about 2 seconds to decide.

This box image brought a huge smile to my face. It brought back many good memories from my modelling childhood and of that first time you watch an episode of Captain Scarlet or Thunderbirds.

A02026.jpg

Babycham anyone?

Steve

This box image brought a huge smile to my face. It brought back many good memories from my modelling childhood and of that first time you watch an episode of Captain Scarlet or Thunderbirds.

A02026.jpg

Babycham anyone?

Steve

Er ... is that not Box Art of the Year 1968? Surely that's the original painting.

So is the Lancaster one......Just going to prove, the old ones are still the best!!!

Strictly speaking that's a new version of an older composition - I mean, it's CGI, and they didn't have CGI back in the 60s! Is there an actual new illustration for the Angel?

Edited by pigsty

Strictly speaking that's a new version of an older composition - I mean, it's CGI, and they didn't have CGI back in the 60s! Is there an actual new illustration for the Angel?

Have you gotten out of the wrong bed today?

We are asked to nominate kits issued in 2011. Both of these are, so what's the issue?

Have you gotten out of the wrong bed today?

We are asked to nominate kits issued in 2011. Both of these are, so what's the issue?

I get out of the wrong side of bed every day - the outside. :crying:

No problem with your choice, I was just curious. This is hardly a serious competition! Airfix usually do new box art these days when they reissue old kits, but use the old art for the promotional stuff. The other thing that makes me wonder about the version you posted is that it says "Angel Intercepter", which is the sort of cock-up that they occasionally let through at promo stage but correct for the final version. A bit like the "Curtiss Siddeley Buccaneer" that appeared a couple of months ago.

A02026.jpg

Babycham anyone?

Steve

Not my cup of tea, but someone at Airfix needs to learn how to spell INTERCEPTOR correctly.

So is the Lancaster one......Just going to prove, the old ones are still the best!!!

The Lancaster one is not the original, it's an updated Adam Tooby one. I know this because he told me so himself.

Tony :clif:

The Lancaster one is not the original, it's an updated Adam Tooby one. I know this because he told me so himself.

Tony :clif:

I must admit, I did realise it wasn't the original, but as it was a straight copy, I just took the easy route.....

.....had I known it would cause so much controversy... :fraidnot:

Anyway, has anone else noticed the similarities between the Angel Interceptor and the new Spitfire art work?.......lol :hmmm: